Cookieless Sessions and Absolute Paths

Chris Gill

I'm trying to use cookieless sessions in asp.net using the InProc mode (for
various reasons it is not desirable for us to use the other modes if it is
possible to avoid them). My problem revolves around the use of absolute and
relative paths under this mode. Obviously absolute paths break the
sessionId tracking in the url, which in our system relates to the user
logins, causing the users to be logged off immediately. Clearly the simple
solution to this is use relative paths, however I've been thinking about the
use of ~/ in the path to create an artificial root, and on first look this
seems to maintain the sessionId correctly in the url, however it causes all
kinds of problems with the file monitoring, namely

"Invalid file name for monitoring: 'D:\xyzsite\dev\~'. File names for
monitoring must have absolute paths, and no wildcards."

Does anyone have any experience with either the use of tilde (~) in .net, or
on the specific issue of workarounds too absoluet paths and InProc
cookieless sessions.

I should also point out that the whole reason for wanting to maintain
absolute paths rather than using relative is in order to incorporate legacy
code into the system. Changing all links to relative paths would be quite a
job, however simly modifying / to ~/ would be a whole lot simpler ;o)

Cheers

Chris