Could not find Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll for webcontrol

Guest

I download IEWebControls.exe, and installed it. Installation created IE Web
Controls directory. The readme.txt said,
3. Create a /bin subdirectory for the application and copy the file
Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll to this directory.

However I could locate Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll. Actually I could
not find any DLL under the directory tree created by the install program.

Alvin Bruney [MVP - ASP.NET]

you have to build it using the batch file included with the download

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney - ASP.NET MVP

[Shameless Author Plug]
Now available @ www.lulu.com/owc, Amazon.com etc

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Charts,

As Alvin has mentioned, you need to build those source file first, which is
in the "src" sub folder. Also, you should be able to found a build.bat file
which do the build task, however, be careful that you need to execute the
build.bat under the Visual studio.net's commandline window (which has
automatically set some necessary environment variables).

After build, you'll get a "build" sub folder which should contains the dll
file.

Please feel free to let me know if you still meet any problem.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Guest

Hi Steven,
How do open Visual studio.net's commandline window? I did run build.bat
under windows command line window. It generated “build†directory but still
no dll files. I also executed SDKVars.bat file located in the
systemroot\Microsoft.NET\SDK\v1.1\Bin directory to set up net path
environment, but I still do not have dlls. Please advise.
Thanks,
Charts

Patrick Olurotimi Ige

I have posted a similar solution here before..
Charts the problem here is that u have referenced the control but u
haven't installed the scripts correctly that RUN the tabstrip,treeview
etc..
Try this:-
To build the IE Web Controls:

1. Make sure you have installed the .NET Framework SDK v1.0 or v1.1
2. Run Build.bat, which will create a build folder in this directory.
The build folder contains Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll and a
Runtime directory of supporting files.

To run the IE Web Controls:

1. Copy the contents of the Runtime directory to the webctrl_client\1_0
directory under your top-level site directory. For example, if your
site root is c:\Inetpub\wwwroot, type this at the command prompt:

xcopy /s /i .\build\Runtime c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\webctrl_client\1_0 /y

This will create the following directory structure under the site:

/webctrl_client/1_0
MultiPage.htc
TabStrip.htc
toolbar.htc
treeview.htc
webservice.htc
webserviced.htc
[images]
[treeimages]

2. Create a new web application in IIS and copy the contents of the
samples directory to this application directory. For example:

xcopy /s /i .\samples c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\sampleapp /y

3. Create a /bin subdirectory for the application and copy the file
Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll to this directory.

The contents of the application will be as follows:

/sampleapp
multipage.aspx
state_city.xml
tabstrip.aspx
toolbar.aspx
treeview.aspx
treeview_bound.aspx
/bin
Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll

4. Request the sample pages from your Internet Explorer web browser, for
example: http://localhost/sampleapp/multipage.aspx

For additional documentation and samples visit:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/webcontrols/
webcontrols_entry.asp

Hope this helps
Patrick

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Charts,

Yes, when not using the VS.NET's command line window, the normal commind
line can't find the proper environment variables such as the C# or VB.NET's
comipler path(csc.exe, vbc.exe...). You can go through the following steps
open the VS.NET's command windows:

start menu---->All Programs----> Microsoft Visual studio.NET 2003 --->
Visual studio.NET tools----> Visual Studio.NET 2003 Command Prompt.

That's just it. Hope helps. Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Guest

DLLs showed up after I ran the build.bat under VS.NET command windows.
Thanks so much!

karthik_k_83

hello all,

I installed Microsoft Internet Explorer WebControls Version 1.0 to us
TREEVIEW control in VS.NET 2003.
After installed,i got Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll in buil
directory.Upto this is OK.

I have to use this control in my webPart library projects(A projec
for creating Web Part controls to use in SharePoint Web applications).
added the Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll in bin directory and build m
project.

It shows the following error

Assembly generation failed -- Referenced assembl
'Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls' does not have a strong name

Then i checked in gacutil,there is no suc
controls('Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls' ).
As given in the installation procedure this has to be added in th
GAC.

I tried to add in the GAC but it asks for STRONG NAME.

what could be the problem....please help me ...........

Regards,

KARTHICK.K
(e-mail address removed)