Daylight saving in NSW

Rick Brandt

Howard said:
Which is pretty much the same thing as not changing it at all. What
the actual time is on the clock is really quite meaningless. If you
like golfing after work, go to work while it's still dark, and get out
when it's light. That's what I do.

And that's a perfectly reasonable position to take if you are a person who
can set his own work hours. The vast majority of (employed) people cannot.

Johan W. Elzenga

Howard Brazee said:
The only study I've read shows that it doesn't.

Sigh... Do I really need to repeat everthing? I don't care if it works
or not. I didn't invent DST, so I don't have to defend it either. I'm
just trying to explain how it works and what the idea behind it is.
Politicians like to *do* stuff. If it doesn't work, we pay for it. A
grand purpose that isn't met doesn't make it right.

I'm not saying it's right (or wrong). I'm just trying to explain how it
works and what the idea behind it is.

Baho Utot

That said, I've never understood how people can get all wrapped around
the axle about DST. Right now, it's approaching 8:30 PM here. If we
weren't on DST, it would be approaching 7:30 PM. I couldn't care less
which time it is. Anything I can do in the dark I can do in the light;
anything I can do in the light I can do in the dark. Especially living
in a nation advanced enough to have electricity.

Yes but you are a shark, you can swim and navigate in the light or dark.

Baho Utot

Sounds nice, actually. Do you live in Manila, or a small town perhaps?

Cagayan de Oro City, Mindanao.

I own some land in Bukinon, Mindanao which I least to Dole to grow
pineapples.

dorayme

I'm not saying it's right (or wrong). I'm just trying to explain how it
works and what the idea behind it is.

Johan, it is very hard to reason with those who oppose DLS. They are
very violent and dangerous people. That is the real reason DLS was
invented in the first place. To keep the daylight going for longer so we
could keep a watch on these buggers creeping up behind us and whacking
us.

They will never understand that the simplest thing for one community to
do is to change the clock hand and magically achieve safety. They hate
the way they are so easily exposed and thus thwarted in their dastardly
aims.

Neredbojias

Why? Nowadays home computers look up the time on the Internet.

But it still needs to be programmed with what region it's in, doesn't it?
This
was the first DST for me with a Mac, and it did it automatically. Same
thing for cell phones.

Windows machines have been doing that for years, but I suppose it's easy to
impress a Mac owner...
There should be a button on radios that say "synchronize time with the
current radio station's time".

I can buy that.

Neredbojias

Politicians like to do stuff. It doesn't matter whether it works or
not. Some people are morning people, some people are evening
people. Most assume everybody else would be like them if only they
were enlightened.

No truer words were ever spoken!

Neredbojias

Cagayan de Oro City, Mindanao.

I own some land in Bukinon, Mindanao which I least to Dole to grow
pineapples.

Mindanao - even the name sounds exotic! I've seen it on maps, of course,
but can't quite (exactly) place it. Will look it up anon.

I hope Dole pays you well; the price of pineapple in The States is higher
than a coconut on-the-vine.

Howard Brazee

And that's a perfectly reasonable position to take if you are a person who
can set his own work hours. The vast majority of (employed) people cannot.

People who run their own shops and resturaunts even have less freedom
- and they are more likely to have to work swing shift which doesn't
gain a bit by setting the clock back an hour.

Businesses that like people working earlier can have their shifts
earlier.

Lots of people can't work the standard shifts because one spouse takes
the kids to school, and the other spouse picks them up.

Howard Brazee

Sigh... Do I really need to repeat everthing? I don't care if it works
or not. I didn't invent DST, so I don't have to defend it either. I'm
just trying to explain how it works and what the idea behind it is.

We do care whether it works or not. And we are allowed to complain
when it doesnt work, and suggest we would be better off without it.
I'm not saying it's right (or wrong). I'm just trying to explain how it
works and what the idea behind it is.

The energy saving bit is a Johnny come lately excuse for DST.

Howard Brazee

I don't think adjusting the clock is easier at all. What would be wrong
with making a ruling that all scheduled times are an hour earlier between
such and such dates? You have to remember to change clocks, anyway (except
maybe on the 'puter), so...

Mainly because we can't have a law deciding that our Tuesday morning
meeting should be at 9:00 part of the year and 10:00 another part of
the year. Especially if it was already pretty random depending on
when people arrived.

Howard Brazee

Before WWI, Liberia was at GMT-00:43:08, and until WWII, the Netherlands
were at GMT+00:19:32. But the last of those weird time zones was phased
out in the 1980s, so all time zones are now rounded off to 15 minutes.

Is Saudi Arabia now in a time zone? The map on my wall (which still
shows the USSR), had its time officially set daily at daylight.

Toby A Inkster

Howard said:
Is Saudi Arabia now in a time zone? The map on my wall (which still
shows the USSR), had its time officially set daily at daylight.

Prior to 1950 Saudi Arabia was at 3:06:52. On the 1st of January 1950,
clocks went back 0:06:52, putting them at UTC+3. In 1987, they decided to
try something a bit different, and did indeed set the time zone daily,
though it was at sunset (when the Islamic day starts) rather than sunrise.
However, it was deemed too impractical, so they returned to UTC+3 in 1989.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 6 days, 19:58.]

Cognition 0.1 Alpha 6
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2008/03/29/cognition-alpha6/

Johan W. Elzenga

Howard Brazee said:
We do care whether it works or not. And we are allowed to complain
when it doesnt work, and suggest we would be better off without it.

Sure, but:

A: to complain in 'comp.sys.mac.apps' and/or 'alt.html' somehow doesn't
seem to the the right place, if you ask me.
B: to complain about it in respons to me explaining how it works also
doesn't seem to be the right way, because I neither invented or defended
DST.
C: You're beginning to sound so much like Don Quichotte.

Eric Lindsay

It's not about gaining an hour of daylight each day. It's about gaining
an hour of daylight d u r i n g t h e t i m e t h a t y o u
a r e a w a k e.

But when it gets light, I wake up, get up and start working. What have
clocks got to do with it?

Chris F.A. Johnson

Or whenever there is a change is the rules.

I wish all my clocks were Linux (or other *nix) appliances, then I
wouldn't have to worry about it.

Baho Utot

Mindanao - even the name sounds exotic! I've seen it on maps, of
course, but can't quite (exactly) place it. Will look it up anon.

I hope Dole pays you well; the price of pineapple in The States is
higher than a coconut on-the-vine.

I Get $5,000USD.