Daylight saving in NSW

Blinky the Shark

Baho said:
On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 13:42:05 -0800, Blinky the Shark wrote:

[putolin]

I was raised on the very edge of a small (35,000) town in the northern
middle of the US (Michigan).

Wouldn't that be a small lake?

Why would that be a small lake?

Lewis

In message said:
As for going to sleep when it gets dark - that won't work most of the
time. (depending on time of year and distance to equator)

I have a much better system, and it works year round.

Go to bed when the sun is coming up.

Lewis

In message said:
What exactly is "vegemite", anyway?

Imagine you have the job of cleaning college dorm rooms.

Imagine that each year you take the drippings from the dorm fridges and
scrape it out.

Then, you put it in a black plastic tub, add equal parts toe jam and flop
sweat, leave it in the sun for 3 days, and spread the results on bread.

That's vegemite.

Lewis

No truer words were ever spoken!

No, some people are early morning people and some are late night people.
EVERYONE is "evening people'.

On a typical summer 'evening' I have time to have a nice diner out, take the
kids miniature golfing or something, maybe for an ice cream, spend a good
hour at the park, and STILL get home before dark. Or we can go spend 4 hours
at the pool and get home just after dark.

Lewis

In message said:
Computers should have always been internally Zulu time, with time
zones only used for displaying. When it is important to know which
transactions happen first, setting back the clock screws things up.

Real computers are. They mark there time off UTC.

Lewis

In message said:
TV watchers live by the clock

No, we don't. I watch a lot of tv. I don't even know what NETWORK most shows
are on, and the only show I am pretty sure of the day is the Simpsons, because
it's been on since before TiVo.

For example, ER is a Sunday afternoon show in my house, I usually watch it
around a NFL game or something (about the only thing I ever see sort of live).

Neredbojias

No, some people are early morning people and some are late night
people. EVERYONE is "evening people'.

On a typical summer 'evening' I have time to have a nice diner out,
take the kids miniature golfing or something, maybe for an ice cream,
spend a good hour at the park, and STILL get home before dark. Or we
can go spend 4 hours at the pool and get home just after dark.

And you couldn't do exactly the same thing if you started your day an hour
earlier without changing the clocks?

Neredbojias

Imagine you have the job of cleaning college dorm rooms.

Imagine that each year you take the drippings from the dorm fridges and
scrape it out.

Then, you put it in a black plastic tub, add equal parts toe jam and flop
sweat, leave it in the sun for 3 days, and spread the results on bread.

That's vegemite.

Ooo, scrumptious. Figures it would be Australian.

Lewis

And you couldn't do exactly the same thing if you started your day an hour
earlier without changing the clocks?

And how do I manage to start my day an hour earlier, exactly?

I don't know anyone who works for a company that allows them to come in
when they want and leave when they want. Perhaps things are different in
more civilized countries. But over here you are expected to be at work at
9am and leave at 5pm, and that's the case for most people.

Neredbojias

And how do I manage to start my day an hour earlier, exactly?

I don't know anyone who works for a company that allows them to come
in when they want and leave when they want. Perhaps things are
different in more civilized countries. But over here you are expected
to be at work at 9am and leave at 5pm, and that's the case for most
people.

That's the point. Instead of having the onus the dst, your company (and
everyone) adjusts hours for the seasonal solar variation. So in warmer
half of the year, you'd be expected to be at work at 8am.

Trymee

In NSW Australia, daylight saving does not finish until 6th April (a
week later than usual). I noticed my computer clock was put back an hour
today. It is supposed to be done automatically on a per region basis
(set in sys pref on a Mac). Something or someone has stuffed up. Had to
manually put it forward again. It is possible, I suppose, it is just my
machine at fault (not me, of course.)

Set your Mac to use a time server, all 4 Macs in this house are showing
the correct time.

Howard Brazee

And how do I manage to start my day an hour earlier, exactly?

I don't know anyone who works for a company that allows them to come in
when they want and leave when they want. Perhaps things are different in
more civilized countries. But over here you are expected to be at work at
9am and leave at 5pm, and that's the case for most people.

But I see people working at all hours of the day. Businesses that
limit their hours to a standard are not prepaired to work with their
customers who work other times.

I agree that happens. The worst case of this for me was when I was
an unmarried Lt. in pilot training in the USAF. The post office,
barber shop, and some other services were open while I was working,
and closed when I was off - but the whole base was there to teach us
to fly!

Lots of people take jobs that allow one spouse to take children to
school, and the other spouse to take them home.

Any company that has nationwide customers needs to be open during its
customer's time needs.

Howard Brazee

No, we don't. I watch a lot of tv. I don't even know what NETWORK most shows
are on, and the only show I am pretty sure of the day is the Simpsons, because
it's been on since before TiVo.

For example, ER is a Sunday afternoon show in my house, I usually watch it
around a NFL game or something (about the only thing I ever see sort of live).

Lots of TV watchers live by the clock - I would guess a strong
majority.

Howard Brazee

Real computers are. They mark there time off UTC.

Twice a year, the IBM-MAIN newsgroup has discussion about DST.
Mainframe computers are widely considered "real computers".

The odd thing here is that we are using Unix - it should be more of a
"real computer" than Linux...

dorayme

Trymee said:
Set your Mac to use a time server, all 4 Macs in this house are showing
the correct time.

This is so sweet. You just parachute in and say this after all this time
in the thread. You like me, not from this planet earth? But a later
arrival?

Blinky the Shark

Baho said:
Baho said:
On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 13:42:05 -0800, Blinky the Shark wrote:

[putolin]

I was raised on the very edge of a small (35,000) town in the northern
middle of the US (Michigan).

Wouldn't that be a small lake?

Why would that be a small lake?

Otherwise you'd be a fish out of water.

Ah! In fact, the town was Battle Creek, so there *was* some water
involved. And a battle.

What does your sig mean?