Deploy problem (single dll)

yootaeho

Hi Gurus,

It would be appreciated if you guys give me some idea to tackle our
current problem.
About 10 developers in our company are working one a couple of web
projects using source safe, asp.net and sql server.
Say a programmer changed on sales.aspx.cs page and b programmer changed
order.aspx.cs and a programmer wants to apply the changes to the live
server but because how asp.net project gets updated (one single dll), a
programmer unwittingly uploads not only change in sales but also the
change in order made by b programmer.

How do you guys handle this situation?

Appreciate your advince in advance,

Leon

Nathan Sokalski

If you have that many programmers working on the same project, it must be
reasonably large and your programmers must be reasonably experienced. First,
I would break the project down by doing some of the following (please excuse
me if my wording is not top quality here):

1. Decide what pages will need to send and/or use what parameters so that
communication will be easier and there is less confusion as to what pages
need what information in order to do what they will be doing.
2. If applicable, design any custom Classes for any functionality or data
structures that will be used in multiple places to simplify the coding and
make it more efficient.
3. Break down the layout of each page into any Controls that could be
written separately so that there is more consistency and less code needs to
be written, as well as the fact that if a bug is found it does not need to
be fixed in a million places.

The primary philosophy here is to allow the developers to do as much as
possible with as little communication as possible. There may be other things
that can be done beforehand as well that will allow your developers to spend
more time working and less time making sure their code is compatible with
each others. I would also divide up the pages so that the majority of pages
that need to communicate with each other are done by the same person (aside
from any extra classes or controls that they use in those pages) so that the
developers do not need to spend as much time hunting each other down
worrying about page compatibility. I would also recommend that unless you
have a very rare site or a site that stores no member information, that as
much information as possible be shared using a database, this makes it
easier to pass parameters in most cases. I will note, however, that even
though I am concentrating in ASP.NET, I have never worked on any big sites,
and I have always been the primary developer and have never had a full-time
job as a developer. Good Luck!

andreister

It is manifestly a management issue. I would prefer each programmer to
develop in their own sandbox therefore controlling what changes they
want to apply.

Production code should be changed less frequently in the case.