DIV overlapping

Frank Olieu

_mbstevens_ skrev | wrote | écrivit (09-12-2005 15:27):
The situation is very, very sad. I feel like I've been sent back to the
1950s in a time warp.

The 1950s? You mean BC, of course!

Luigi Donatello Asero

dorayme said:
I must say Luigi, this is most existentially unEuropeany. Such an attention
to detail. How seriously do you want to know the essence of a table?

Do you mean that all Europeans or most of them do not like analysing?
If so, I am perhaps no typical European in that respect.
About your name. Is it not peculiar that you do not write the initial of
your nickname by capital letters?

JDS

Considering that many of you are usually in favour of limiting the use of
tables as much as possible in this NG, tables might be the right solution
if
you think that it would suit this time!
However, I use divs in my menu and in this case I (who is usually more
inclined to use tables than you are) wonder whether it would not be the case
of a table used for layout purposes...

Use tables Luigi for god's sake. Do whatever. We don't care. The page is
ugly and sucky anyways, and floating the divs or using tables ain't gonna
fix it.

JDS

You need to understand a few things young Dylan[1]. Luigi is
inherently European. He is Italian, he works in Sweden and he
gets beaten up in Germany. He would have been to France. The
point is that he is deeply existential and heavily influenced by
European philosophers. These philosophers are big on Structural
Relationships and not afraid to boast about it in a lot of
Capitalised Words.

Luigi is no more likely to "just use" any suggested code than a
modern French or German philosopher is likely to speak quite
plainly.

Ha! You crakka me up.

I am actually at the point where I look forward to Luigi's posts if for no
other reason than the humor they bring me. Chuckle chuckle, just look at
the futility of expressing *that* solution! Ho ha hee, just imagine how L
is going to respond to *that* comment! Hardee har har, I laugh at the
thought of how L is going to completely ignore *this* valiant, helpful,
selfless, and validationally-correct HTML (or CSS or whatever) suggestion!
and so on...

I suggest that people start purposefully giving wrong, misguided,
abstruse, or otherwise unhelpful suggestions in a clear, helpful,
well-intentioned *tone* of speaking. See what he does with that. Oh, I
can't wait for the hilarity!

later, all

JDS

Do you mean that all Europeans or most of them do not like analysing?
If so, I am perhaps no typical European in that respect.
About your name. Is it not peculiar that you do not write the initial of
your nickname by capital letters?

Wow, what does that mean?

"dorayme" is not necessarily his/her name, of course.

Stan McCann

I suggest that people start purposefully giving wrong, misguided,
abstruse, or otherwise unhelpful suggestions in a clear, helpful,
well-intentioned *tone* of speaking. See what he does with that.
Oh, I can't wait for the hilarity!

I don't think that is such a good idea. Newbies, not being aware of
what's going on could take those "suggestions" as real advice and foul
up their pages using the bad advice.

JDS

I don't think that is such a good idea. Newbies, not being aware of
what's going on could take those "suggestions" as real advice and foul
up their pages using the bad advice.

Hmm. My suggestion is something like this, then:

<NOT_A_REAL_SUGGESTION>
Luigi, try sticking the HTML in the microwave oven for about 15 seconds.
I think your HTML is water logged.
</NOT_A_REAL_SUGGESTION>

Hopefully nebs will recognize the standard "<NOT_A_REAL_SUGGESTION>" tag
and will not process the not real suggestion. But since Luigi has clearly
shown that he ignores standard tags such as this, will skip over the tag
like a 1.0 browser ignoring <style> tags.

dorayme

From: mbstevens said:
A coalition of religious fundamentalisms.

The clearest symptom is that
'intelligent design'
(creationism with a pipe, but still clearly metaphysics)
has been added to the middle and high school biology texts in several
states.

I've also gone through the online site of some university philosophy
departments, and found them starting to offer more metaphysical bunkum
instead of stressing more sensible course work like symbolic logics and
philosophy of mathematics.

The situation is very, very sad. I feel like I've been sent back to the
1950s in a time warp. Like an ancient Roman at the sunset that began
the Dark Ages.

Yes, I see. There are always these pressures in some of the US
states and it is getting worse eh? It is more a fear (rather
than a big reality) here in Australia. There is a federal
government that needs to keep in good with a religious party
that has gained strength lately and a parliamentary seat or
two... Our education minister recently said ID might be ok to be
taught alongside evolution etc, he was absolutely howled down on
this and the Govt have pulled in their heads a bit since. God
help us from those who would use him to uselessly fill in gaps.

dorayme

From: "Luigi Donatello Asero said:
Do you mean that all Europeans or most of them do not like analysing?

Not at all. They do good in this except when the questions they are dealing
with are enormously vague.
About your name. Is it not peculiar that you do not write the initial of
your nickname by capital letters?

Since I never write any initial for it, it can hardly be peculiar that I do
not do it in some sort of way.

Luigi Donatello Asero

JDS said:
Use tables Luigi for god's sake. Do whatever. We don't care. The page is
ugly and sucky anyways, and floating the divs or using tables ain't gonna
fix it.

Thank you for your answer. As I have found most of your comments useless, I
might decide to filter you.
Have a nice time!

Luigi Donatello Asero

dorayme said:
Not at all. They do good in this except when the questions they are dealing
with are enormously vague.

You seem to be at least as vague as they
Since I never write any initial for it, it can hardly be peculiar that I do
not do it in some sort of way.

Fine, what would you call "dorayme" if not a "nickname"?

dorayme

From: "Luigi Donatello Asero said:
You seem to be at least as vague as they

We are talking two things here, one is vague questions, the
other is commentary or answers to such questions. Just as
important as freedom and having nice days is not confusing or
conflating these two.

Fine, what would you call "dorayme" if not a "nickname"?

I am not sure. It never occurred to me. ("Fred"?). I suppose it
does not press on me because this would require me to have some
/other name/ that was in some way /more real/. I have never
believed in levels of reality. That is something I leave to the
French, the Germans and the Italians.

Luigi Donatello Asero

dorayme said:
We are talking two things here, one is vague questions, the
other is commentary or answers to such questions. Just as
important as freedom and having nice days is not confusing or
conflating these two.

Fine. You maintain that Europeans deal with vague questions.
How should I know which questions you mean?
I am not sure. It never occurred to me. ("Fred"?).
What is Fred?
Another nickname?

I suppose it
does not press on me because this would require me to have some
/other name/ that was in some way /more real/. I have never
believed in levels of reality. That is something I leave to the
French, the Germans and the Italians.

As you do not believe in levels of reality, I guess that you do not want
your answers to be perceived as real, do you?

mbstevens

Luigi said:
As you do not believe in levels of reality, I guess that you do not want
your answers to be perceived as real, do you?

Oh, my bleeding Bull Durham.
Levels of Reality?
Give me a level break.
There are things that are verifiable and things that are not.
I have never seen 'Levels of Reality' verified.
You been reading too much Goodman, Dirrida, and
Ozzy Ozborne, Bubba.

Luigi Donatello Asero

mbstevens said:
Oh, my bleeding Bull Durham.
Levels of Reality?
Give me a level break.
There are things that are verifiable and things that are not.
I have never seen 'Levels of Reality' verified.
You been reading too much Goodman, Dirrida, and
Ozzy Ozborne, Bubba.

Are we talking about the same thing?