Selectors

Luigi Donatello Asero

Of course, I can define the selectors which I used on the table with
holiday-lodgings which are situated in Italy on the page
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/boende-i-italien.php but how should I
define them to prevent the table from being larger than the size of the
window?
Are the use of a smaller number of columns alternatively of smaller
characters the only ways to reduce its size?

dorayme

"Luigi Donatello Asero said:
Of course, I can define the selectors which I used on the table with
holiday-lodgings which are situated in Italy on the page
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/boende-i-italien.php but how should I
define them to prevent the table from being larger than the size of the
window?
Are the use of a smaller number of columns alternatively of smaller
characters the only ways to reduce its size?

The most immediate cause of your problem is a super long unbroken
string in

Gigi-Italien-lägenheter-i-Italien-för-fritidsändamål-i-Valle
D´Aosta</td>

Put a break or space in it and the table will likely behave
itself more to your liking.

(I know you are not going to like this Luigi, but I would bet
money on the majority of people (not just on this newsgroup)
thinking this page looks better when you completely turn off all
your style sheets.)

Luigi Donatello Asero

dorayme said:
The most immediate cause of your problem is a super long unbroken
string in

Gigi-Italien-lgenheter-i-Italien-f r-fritidsndam l-i-Valle
DAosta</td>

Sorry for my poor English but what do you mean by "string" in this context?
Put a break or space in it and the table will likely behave
itself more to your liking.
Do you mean something like that?
DAosta said:
(I know you are not going to like this Luigi, but I would bet
money on the majority of people (not just on this newsgroup)
thinking this page looks better when you completely turn off all
your style sheets.)

Perhaps. But all the users who use Firefox can see the page after turning
off all my style sheets, cannot they? Or do you mean that I should not
include any style sheet at all?

Ps.:
I have noticed that Google changed the ranking of many of my pages during
the last days, especially changed the ranking of the page
Do you know whether there was any "special" reason for that?
Is the page actually "worse" than before?

Harlan Messinger

Luigi said:
Of course, I can define the selectors which I used on the table with
holiday-lodgings which are situated in Italy on the page
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/boende-i-italien.php but how should I
define them to prevent the table from being larger than the size of the
window?
Are the use of a smaller number of columns alternatively of smaller
characters the only ways to reduce its size?

Every column in a table has to be at least as wide as the longest
unbroken word. One of your columns has the word
"Gigi-Italien-lägenheter-i-Italien-för-fritidsändamål-i-Valle". Add a
column wide enough to contain that word to the width of all your other
columns, and you have a table too wide to fit into the window.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Harlan Messinger said:
Every column in a table has to be at least as wide as the longest
unbroken word. One of your columns has the word
"Gigi-Italien-lägenheter-i-Italien-för-fritidsändamål-i-Valle". Add a
column wide enough to contain that word to the width of all your other
columns, and you have a table too wide to fit into the window.

So, if I did not use any hyphen,
the longest word would be "fritidsändamål", would it not?
But perhaps I would need a hyphen after "Scaiecat Spa Gigi",
anyway, because it is the name of my one-man business.
I made some changes but the table is still too large.

dorayme

"Luigi Donatello Asero said:
"dorayme" <[email protected]>

Sorry for my poor English but what do you mean by "string" in this context?

A "string" is just "some text". It seemed obvious that something
was too big for the right column in one of the tables. When it
was broken with a space, it then fitted in my normal browser
window.
Perhaps. But all the users who use Firefox can see the page after turning
off all my style sheets, cannot they? Or do you mean that I should not
include any style sheet at all?

I am saying that your CSS is causing a lot of trouble style-wise.
It seems just so remarkably better when all are turned off. It is
a pity that you don't see it that way. Better that users use
their own CSS if they are not happy in this case.

The point of CSS is that you have to do better than no style
sheet at all and to have the closest to no styles until you can
get a little consensus that each small change from nothing to
something is a definite improvement?

Take this case of trouble (caused by the HTML imo) about table
being too big. Without the CSS, the problem is much reduced
because the poor thing has the whole width of the browser window
to behave badly, and this is less bad than if it has only part of
the window (as caused by the CSS).

Luigi Donatello Asero

dorayme said:
A "string" is just "some text". It seemed obvious that something
was too big for the right column in one of the tables. When it
was broken with a space, it then fitted in my normal browser
window.

I am saying that your CSS is causing a lot of trouble style-wise.
It seems just so remarkably better when all are turned off. It is
a pity that you don't see it that way. Better that users use
their own CSS if they are not happy in this case.

The point of CSS is that you have to do better than no style
sheet at all and to have the closest to no styles until you can
get a little consensus that each small change from nothing to
something is a definite improvement?

I understand what you mean but I have also noticed that we do not always
share our opinions.
In any case, the table is working now, isn´t it?

dorayme

"Luigi Donatello Asero said:
I understand what you mean but I have also noticed that we do not always
share our opinions.
In any case, the table is working now, isn´t it?

Yes, that is all true. It is working now. And we don't always
share all our opinions. That is the beauty of freedom, I can see
why you refer to this so often... :)

Luigi Donatello Asero

dorayme said:
Yes, that is all true. It is working now. And we don't always
share all our opinions. That is the beauty of freedom, I can see
why you refer to this so often... :)

I agree!