    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    我是æ„大利人

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 17, 2006

  2. Luigi Donatello Asero

    dorayme Guest

    In article <tE1Pg.16784$>,
    "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:

    > Of course, I can define the selectors which I used on the table with
    > holiday-lodgings which are situated in Italy on the page
    > https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/boende-i-italien.php but how should I
    > define them to prevent the table from being larger than the size of the
    > window?
    > Are the use of a smaller number of columns alternatively of smaller
    > characters the only ways to reduce its size?

    The most immediate cause of your problem is a super long unbroken
    string in

    Gigi-Italien-lägenheter-i-Italien-för-fritidsändamål-i-Valle
    D´Aosta</td>

    Put a break or space in it and the table will likely behave
    itself more to your liking.

    (I know you are not going to like this Luigi, but I would bet
    money on the majority of people (not just on this newsgroup)
    thinking this page looks better when you completely turn off all
    your style sheets.)

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Sep 17, 2006

  3. "dorayme" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > In article <tE1Pg.16784$>,
    > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Of course, I can define the selectors which I used on the table with
    > > holiday-lodgings which are situated in Italy on the page
    > > https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/boende-i-italien.php but how should

    > > define them to prevent the table from being larger than the size of the
    > > window?
    > > Are the use of a smaller number of columns alternatively of smaller
    > > characters the only ways to reduce its size?
    > >

    > The most immediate cause of your problem is a super long unbroken
    > string in

    > Gigi-Italien-lgenheter-i-Italien-f r-fritidsndam l-i-Valle
    > DAosta</td>

    Sorry for my poor English but what do you mean by "string" in this context?

    > Put a break or space in it and the table will likely behave
    > itself more to your liking.

    Do you mean something like that?
    Gigi-Italien-lgenheter-i-Italien-f r-fritidsndam l-i-Valle
    DAosta </td>

    > (I know you are not going to like this Luigi, but I would bet
    > money on the majority of people (not just on this newsgroup)
    > thinking this page looks better when you completely turn off all
    > your style sheets.)

    Perhaps. But all the users who use Firefox can see the page after turning
    off all my style sheets, cannot they? Or do you mean that I should not
    include any style sheet at all?

    Ps.:
    I have noticed that Google changed the ranking of many of my pages during
    the last days, especially changed the ranking of the page
    Do you know whether there was any "special" reason for that?
    Is the page actually "worse" than before?

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 17, 2006
  4. Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > Of course, I can define the selectors which I used on the table with
    > holiday-lodgings which are situated in Italy on the page
    > https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/boende-i-italien.php but how should I
    > define them to prevent the table from being larger than the size of the
    > window?
    > Are the use of a smaller number of columns alternatively of smaller
    > characters the only ways to reduce its size?

    Every column in a table has to be at least as wide as the longest
    unbroken word. One of your columns has the word
    "Gigi-Italien-lägenheter-i-Italien-för-fritidsändamål-i-Valle". Add a
    column wide enough to contain that word to the width of all your other
    columns, and you have a table too wide to fit into the window.

    Harlan Messinger, Sep 17, 2006
  5. "Harlan Messinger" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > > Of course, I can define the selectors which I used on the table with
    > > holiday-lodgings which are situated in Italy on the page
    > > https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/boende-i-italien.php but how should

    > > define them to prevent the table from being larger than the size of the
    > > window?
    > > Are the use of a smaller number of columns alternatively of smaller
    > > characters the only ways to reduce its size?

    > Every column in a table has to be at least as wide as the longest
    > unbroken word. One of your columns has the word
    > "Gigi-Italien-lägenheter-i-Italien-för-fritidsändamål-i-Valle". Add a
    > column wide enough to contain that word to the width of all your other
    > columns, and you have a table too wide to fit into the window.

    So, if I did not use any hyphen,
    the longest word would be "fritidsändamål", would it not?
    But perhaps I would need a hyphen after "Scaiecat Spa Gigi",
    anyway, because it is the name of my one-man business.
    I made some changes but the table is still too large.

    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero
    我是æ„大利人

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 17, 2006
  6. Luigi Donatello Asero

    dorayme Guest

    In article <vfaPg.16852$>,
    "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:

    > "dorayme" <>

    > > The most immediate cause of your problem is a super long unbroken
    > > string in

    > > Gigi-Italien-lgenheter-i-Italien-f r-fritidsndam l-i-Valle
    > > DAosta</td>

    > Sorry for my poor English but what do you mean by "string" in this context?
    >
    > > Put a break or space in it and the table will likely behave
    > > itself more to your liking.

    A "string" is just "some text". It seemed obvious that something
    was too big for the right column in one of the tables. When it
    was broken with a space, it then fitted in my normal browser
    window.

    > > (I know you are not going to like this Luigi, but I would bet
    > > money on the majority of people (not just on this newsgroup)
    > > thinking this page looks better when you completely turn off all
    > > your style sheets.)

    > Perhaps. But all the users who use Firefox can see the page after turning
    > off all my style sheets, cannot they? Or do you mean that I should not
    > include any style sheet at all?

    I am saying that your CSS is causing a lot of trouble style-wise.
    It seems just so remarkably better when all are turned off. It is
    a pity that you don't see it that way. Better that users use
    their own CSS if they are not happy in this case.

    The point of CSS is that you have to do better than no style
    sheet at all and to have the closest to no styles until you can
    get a little consensus that each small change from nothing to
    something is a definite improvement?

    Take this case of trouble (caused by the HTML imo) about table
    being too big. Without the CSS, the problem is much reduced
    because the poor thing has the whole width of the browser window
    to behave badly, and this is less bad than if it has only part of
    the window (as caused by the CSS).

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Sep 17, 2006
  7. "dorayme" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > In article <vfaPg.16852$>,
    > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:
    >
    > > "dorayme" <>

    > > > The most immediate cause of your problem is a super long unbroken
    > > > string in

    > > > Gigi-Italien-lgenheter-i-Italien-f r-fritidsndam l-i-Valle
    > > > DAosta</td>

    > > Sorry for my poor English but what do you mean by "string" in this

    context?

    > > > Put a break or space in it and the table will likely behave
    > > > itself more to your liking.

    > A "string" is just "some text". It seemed obvious that something
    > was too big for the right column in one of the tables. When it
    > was broken with a space, it then fitted in my normal browser
    > window.
    >
    > > > (I know you are not going to like this Luigi, but I would bet
    > > > money on the majority of people (not just on this newsgroup)
    > > > thinking this page looks better when you completely turn off all
    > > > your style sheets.)

    > > Perhaps. But all the users who use Firefox can see the page after

    turning
    > > off all my style sheets, cannot they? Or do you mean that I should not
    > > include any style sheet at all?

    > I am saying that your CSS is causing a lot of trouble style-wise.
    > It seems just so remarkably better when all are turned off. It is
    > a pity that you don't see it that way. Better that users use
    > their own CSS if they are not happy in this case.
    >
    > The point of CSS is that you have to do better than no style
    > sheet at all and to have the closest to no styles until you can
    > get a little consensus that each small change from nothing to
    > something is a definite improvement?

    I understand what you mean but I have also noticed that we do not always
    share our opinions.
    In any case, the table is working now, isn´t it?

    --
    Luigi Donatello Asero

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 17, 2006
  8. Luigi Donatello Asero

    dorayme Guest

    In article <CqjPg.16958$>,
    "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:

    > I understand what you mean but I have also noticed that we do not always
    > share our opinions.
    > In any case, the table is working now, isn´t it?

    Yes, that is all true. It is working now. And we don't always
    share all our opinions. That is the beauty of freedom, I can see
    why you refer to this so often... :)

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Sep 17, 2006
  9. "dorayme" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > In article <CqjPg.16958$>,
    > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:
    >
    > > I understand what you mean but I have also noticed that we do not always
    > > share our opinions.
    > > In any case, the table is working now, isnt it?

    > Yes, that is all true. It is working now. And we don't always
    > share all our opinions. That is the beauty of freedom, I can see
    > why you refer to this so often... :)
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    I agree!