Domain Registering Companies Reserving Domain Names

Discussion in 'HTML' started by AF, Aug 22, 2004.

  1. AF

    AF Guest

    Has anyone else noticed this:

    3 times now, I have gone out for a client and did a whois search at my
    domain registration company, which for now wil remain unnamed.

    Within a week of searching for several unused domain names, my clients
    decided on a domin name, which we then tried to register.

    Going back to register one of the names I found, I discovered the
    domain name was now "available for sale to the highest bidder."

    Is my domain registration company cheating here?

    Has anyone else seen this?

    Thanks.
    best regards,

    Al

    http://www.discountdrivingschool.com
    http://autowarranty.compserver.com
    AF, Aug 22, 2004

  2. AF

    WebcastMaker Guest

    In article <>, bscinc3000
    @NOSPAMYahoo.com says...
    > Has anyone else noticed this.....

    If the scenario you mention is true (with no embellishment in your
    story) then I would get a lawyer, and document it happening, then shut
    them down because what they are doing is illegal (in the states)

    --
    WebcastMaker
    Webcasting for free
    WebcastMaker, Aug 22, 2004

  3. "AF" <> skrev i melding
    > Has anyone else noticed this:
    >
    > 3 times now, I have gone out for a client and did a whois search at my
    > domain registration company, which for now wil remain unnamed.
    >
    > Within a week of searching for several unused domain names, my clients
    > decided on a domin name, which we then tried to register.
    >
    > Going back to register one of the names I found, I discovered the
    > domain name was now "available for sale to the highest bidder."
    >
    > Is my domain registration company cheating here?
    >
    > Has anyone else seen this?

    First of all, I don't know why you're posting this in alt.html. I've added
    alt.domain-name.disputes and alt.www.webmaster in case someone in the latter
    might know better.

    Furthermore, it would seem that the domain registration company is cheating.
    I can't know for sure, since you're not exactly providing a lot of
    information here (no examples of domain names this has happened to and no
    information about who your domain registrar is). Check the domain names
    again - if the "domain name for sale to the highest bidder" page belongs to
    your domain registration company, then they are certainly cheating. And if
    this is the case, I suggest you switch now (ie. transfer all of your domain
    names to a more reputable company).

    And, of course, if the domain names are trademarks for your client, bring
    the domain registrar to court.
    http://www.icann.org/udrp/

    --
    Kim André Akerø
    -
    Kim André Akerø, Aug 22, 2004
  4. AF

    Ken Guest

    Hi Al -

    On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 02:45:11 GMT, AF <>
    wrote:

    >Has anyone else seen this?

    I haven't experienced it but I've heard about the same thing from
    other people.

    I recommend NOT looking up domains at your registrar's website.

    I look up domain information at https://onewhois.securenow.com/

    --
    Ken
    http://www.ke9nr.net/
    Ken, Aug 22, 2004
  5. AF

    Augustus Guest

    "WebcastMaker" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, bscinc3000
    > @NOSPAMYahoo.com says...
    > > Has anyone else noticed this.....

    > If the scenario you mention is true (with no embellishment in your
    > story) then I would get a lawyer, and document it happening, then shut
    > them down because what they are doing is illegal (in the states)

    Being Canadian I am not familiar with US law... what law would make this
    illegal? What would it fall under?

    Just want to keep track of these things, of what is and isn't actually
    legal... the last few months people have really been throwing around the
    whole "its illegal" thing, when in reality "its unethical, but perfectly
    legal"

    Just want to keep track of these things... of what is and isn't actually
    legal. The past few months people have really been throwing around the
    whole "its illegal" thing, when in reality they are just guessing and the
    truth of the matter is "it may be unethical, but perfectly legal"
    Augustus, Aug 22, 2004
  6. AF

    Wayne... Guest

    Yeah I've experienced it myself. As you'll know it's a simple matter to log
    all searches for anything and use that information and domains are no
    different. Personally I think the whole situation stinks and any company
    found doing this should have the right to sell domains revoked.

    Whats the point on having a system such as domain names where if you are
    lucky or clever enough you can come up with a great name, only for a
    company to unethically use your search [and maybe other people with a
    similar idea] to register it themselves in the hope of making money!
    As I said - IT STINKS!

    Wayne...
    Wayne..., Aug 22, 2004
  7. AF

    WebcastMaker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Being Canadian I am not familiar with US law... what law would make this
    > illegal? What would it fall under?

    Depending on what you were trying to register (is the name a trademark?)
    it would fall under either the cyber-squating law Clinton signed, or
    racketeering laws which prohibit a company from unfairly using
    information provided to them in good faith to extort money from a
    company.

    Talking to a lawyer is your best advice.
    --
    WebcastMaker
    Webcasting for free
    WebcastMaker, Aug 22, 2004
  8. AF

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed WebcastMaker <>
    writing in news::

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Being Canadian I am not familiar with US law... what law would make
    >> this illegal? What would it fall under?

    > Depending on what you were trying to register (is the name a
    > trademark?) it would fall under either the cyber-squating law Clinton
    > signed, or racketeering laws which prohibit a company from unfairly
    > using information provided to them in good faith to extort money from a
    > company.
    >
    > Talking to a lawyer is your best advice.

    Thank you, thank you, thank you! I am going to contact a lawyer. My
    domain name is being held hostage by some outfit in England and they want
    to charge me $350.00US.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    Adrienne, Aug 23, 2004
  9. On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 06:17:46 GMT, Adrienne wrote:

    > Thank you, thank you, thank you! I am going to contact a lawyer. My
    > domain name is being held hostage by some outfit in England and they want
    > to charge me $350.00US.

    In the last few years, a band named Jethro Tull wanted to acquire/remove a
    website www.jethrotull.com since it contained porn. Ian Anderson sued in an
    international court and not only won the URL but a judgment against the
    owner for $20K?or so.

    http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/decisions/html/2000/d2000-0475.html
    Chrissy Cruiser, Aug 23, 2004