especially strange "The page cannot be displayed" error

Guest

Hi all,

I'm not new to ASP.NET but I'm trying to get a simple Hello World page
going on IIS 6.0 on Windows 2003. I'm connecting from the local
machine.

It comes back with the standard "The page cannot be displayed" error
page.

Some points:
- I get a normal response from a static .html file in the same
directory as my aspx file.
- I can run the exact same Hello World .aspx from my own desktop
(Windows XP SP2, IIS 5.1)
- I re-installed asp.net by running the aspnet_regiis utililty
- .aspx files are mapped to aspnet_isapi.dll as usual and Default.aspx
is set as the default document (although I'm not relying on that, I
type the entire URL out).
- I ran the wfetch utility and I get this: "(An existing connection
was forcibly closed by the remote host.): Socket Error On Receive"
- there nothing in the IIS log file in windows\system32\logfiles
- there's nothing in the normal windows event viewer.
- If I screw around with the user that handles that web site, I can get
it to give me a permission error, so I can be pretty sure IIS is
getting the request.

Any suggestions of things to try would be greatly appreciated.

Much thanks,
Dustin Aleksiuk

GroupReader

I don't remember the exact error, so this may not be related... make
sure you are not running any asp.net 1.x apps in the same application
pool as any asp.net 2.0 apps. If you have both kind of apps in the
same app pool, then whichever one is loaded first will work fine, then
the one that is loaded next will give some sort of generic error like
the one you described.

In IIS 6, you can create different "app pools", then you can set your
1.x asp.net apps to run in one app pool and your 2.0 apps in the other
app pool. Also, when looking at your website properties in IIS, don't
forget to set the correct asp.net version on the asp.net property tab.

(probably has nothing to do with your issue, but it's one more thing to
check)

Guest

Hi GroupReader,
(probably has nothing to do with your issue, but it's one more thing to
check)

Thanks for that advice. I'll check it out today. At least it's
something. :) After I wrote my original post I discovered that there's
another identical server here I could try. It was a fresh install of
everything from a ghost image. My ASP.NET test program ran without
issue. So we may just get this particular server re-ghosted, although
it's not ideal.

Much thanks,
Dustin Aleksiuk