failure to initialize AppDomain: ConfigurationErrorsException

Christopher Robert

Hi, folks,

I've just installed Visual Studio 2005 on my XP Pro (SP2) environment and
the new ASP.NET 2.0 doesn't seem to be running well in my IIS. Every time I
try to load up a .aspx page (even if it's just flat HTML), I get the "server
application unavailable" error, accompanied by two bits in the event log.
One is an error:

Failed to execute request because the App-Domain could not be created.
Error: 0x80131902

The other is a warning about a ConfigurationErrorsException (full text
below). I've tried lots of permissions fiddling, and I've followed the
suggestion to configure machine.config for the "System" process -- all to no
avail. One hint on the web suggests this is an "environmental" problem, but
for the life of me I can't figure out what to do. One guy out there seemed
to have this problem and solved it by reinstalling everything from XP on up.
I'd kind of like to avoid that. Any ideas?

Thanks!

....Chris

Failed to initialize the AppDomain:/LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT

Exception: System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException

Message: Exception of type
'System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException' was thrown.

StackTrace: at
System.Web.Configuration.ErrorRuntimeConfig.ErrorConfigRecord.System.Configuration.Internal.IInternalConfigRecord.GetLkgSection(String
configKey)

at System.Web.Configuration.RuntimeConfigLKG.GetSectionObject(String
sectionName)

at System.Web.Configuration.RuntimeConfig.GetSection(String sectionName,
Type type, ResultsIndex index)

at System.Web.Configuration.RuntimeConfig.get_HostingEnvironment()

at System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.StartMonitoringForIdleTimeout()

at System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.Initialize(ApplicationManager
appManager, IApplicationHost appHost, IConfigMapPathFactory
configMapPathFactory, HostingEnvironmentParameters hostingParameters)

at System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.Initialize(ApplicationManager
appManager, IApplicationHost appHost, IConfigMapPathFactory
configMapPathFactory, HostingEnvironmentParameters hostingParameters)

at
System.Web.Hosting.ApplicationManager.CreateAppDomainWithHostingEnvironment(String
appId, IApplicationHost appHost, HostingEnvironmentParameters
hostingParameters)

at
System.Web.Hosting.ApplicationManager.CreateAppDomainWithHostingEnvironmentAndReportErrors(String
appId, IApplicationHost appHost, HostingEnvironmentParameters
hostingParameters)

stvponti

I had the same problem and used the following steps to resolve it:

With a command window, get to the latest version of .net under
C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\
Now run the following command: "net stop w3svc" to stop web services.
Then use "aspnet_regiis.exe -ua" to uninstall all instances of ASP.NET
from IIS.
Follow with "aspnet_regiis.exe -i" to install ASP.NET into IIS.
Now restart web services with "net start w3svc".

After this I was able to reload my browser and properly view my page.

Hope this helps.

Christopher Robert

Thank you very much! This seems to have fixed me up as well.

Happy holidays, and thanks again,

....Chris