firewall software interferes with web service

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by James N, Oct 20, 2003.

  1. James N

    James N Guest

    I just created a .NET web service and it's being hosted on my Win 2K3
    Server right now. I also created an ASP.NET Mobile web application that
    uses the web service.

    Basically, if you have a web-enabled device (like a cell phone), you can
    access and use the web application by entering its URL into your device.

    When I tried to access and use it from IE6, everything works fine.
    When I tried to access it with my cell phone, it does load up correctly.
    However, when I actually input some data and have the application call
    the web service, everything stops and I get the dreaded blue screen (the
    one that does the physical memory dump followed by rebooting the system)
    saying that something is trying to write to read-only memory. It
    mentions the TEEFER.SYS file. And then it reboots....

    A search on google tells me Teefer.sys is a file belonging to the Sygate
    Personal Firewall software(SPF). I am using SPF Pro v5.1 build 1615s.
    So now it seems like SPF is interfering with my accessing of the mobile
    application from my phone. But I have no idea how to fix it. Indeed,
    when I turn of SPF, everything works correctly.

    I suspect that I need to set some special application settings in SPF
    for the IIS worker process, but I'm unsure which settings. Maybe someone
    who has ran into this problem before and was able to fix it can help me
    out here. Thanks.

    James N, Oct 20, 2003