    should contain the foundations. I am not looking for the Python bible.
    Any recommendations?
    Ioannis

    IOANNIS MANOLOUDIS, Jul 9, 2006

  2. I don't know, if I were the genious that made up Python I would not believe
    in any bible (small b)

    Philippe Martin, Jul 9, 2006

  3. IOANNIS MANOLOUDIS

    gregarican Guest

    Try "Learning Python" which is part of the O'Reilly series of books
    they publish on computer programming. It's a good start. Most public
    library systems have copies you can check out, and most larger
    bookstores have it. Otherwise there's always Amazon.Com. Welcome to
    Python and enjoy!

    gregarican, Jul 9, 2006
  4. In article <1152405704.389754@athnrd02>,

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/msg/3539b0fbd9c04db8

    http://groups.google.com/groups?as_...0&scoring=d&hl=en&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python*

    http://diveintopython.org/

    Cameron Laird, Jul 9, 2006
  5. IOANNIS MANOLOUDIS

    tac-tics Guest

    Philippe Martin wrote:
    > I don't know, if I were the genious that made up Python I would not believe
    > in any bible (small b)

    Take it to alt.religion please.

    > I want to learn python.
    > I plan to buy a book. I always find printed material more convenient than
    > reading on-line tutorials.

    I had the same problem as you. I heard lots of good things about
    Python, but was unable to sit myself down in front of my computer long
    enough to learn it. So I picked up a copy of Learning Python and read
    the entire thing in a night.

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0596002815/ref=pd_bxgy_img_b/002-4705377-6120028?ie=UTF8

    I'm sorry I can't really do a comparison between different books, this
    being the only one I bought, but it got me to the point where I could
    start playing with code and reading the online documentation (which is
    superb).

    Coming from a relatively strong background in Java and C++, this book
    was very easy to digest. The book is not a "teaching programming" book,
    so unless you have experience in at least one real language programming
    language, it might not be worth your time.

    My only complaint about this book is the confusing way it presenting
    Python's OOP model and the way they present for loops (they make it
    sound like for loops are 100 times slower than in Java or C++... They
    don't get the actual point across effectively, that they are just
    different.)

    tac-tics, Jul 9, 2006
  6. >> I always find printed material more convenient than
    >> reading on-line tutorials.

    If you are sure you want a book and not online tutorials, then it's
    important that you have many code examples which include both the
    statements and the results. You may like Chris Fehily's Python Visual
    Quickstart Guide for this.

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/asin/0201748843/inscape-20/

    It's long in the tooth (only covers up to 2.2 and doesn't get too much
    into OO), but it features abundant examples running in columns right
    alongside lucid explanations of how Python works.

    rd

    BartlebyScrivener, Jul 9, 2006
  7. On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 14:41:52 -1000, IOANNIS MANOLOUDIS
    <> wrote:

    > I want to learn python.
    > I plan to buy a book. I always find printed material more convenient than
    > reading on-line tutorials.
    > I don't know PERL or any other scripting language. I only know some BASH
    > programming. I am looking for a book which will help me get started and
    > should contain the foundations. I am not looking for the Python bible.
    > Any recommendations?
    > Ioannis

    I started out w/ "Learning Python" from O'Reilly which is good for a nice,
    general overview of the language but I wanted something more detailed. I
    found the "Python Learn to Program" textbook from Deitel & Deitel to be
    very good. It's based on v2.2 but it still has practical use. Since it's
    a text book it has many examples and small problems to try as you develop
    your skills. If you can find it used online you should be able to get it
    <$40.

    crystalattice, Jul 9, 2006
  8. IOANNIS MANOLOUDIS

    Paul Rubin Guest

    IOANNIS MANOLOUDIS <> writes:
    > I plan to buy a book. I always find printed material more convenient than
    > reading on-line tutorials.

    Why not print out the on-line tutorial and read the hardcopy?

    Paul Rubin, Jul 9, 2006
  9. IOANNIS MANOLOUDIS

    Jake Emerson Guest

    There have been lots of recommendations for the O'Reilly book, which is
    a good one. However, I would recommend "Beginning Python" by Magnus Lie
    Hetland. All I knew before starting Python was Mathematica, and this
    book was very helpful. It may seem to start out slow, but I've found
    that I'm going back to those first chapters occasionally to review and
    practice the syntax. It, and this group, have carried me through some
    pretty tough problems (for me anyway). It's been worth it. Good luck.

    Jake

    Jake Emerson, Jul 9, 2006
  10. Jake Emerson <> wrote:

    > There have been lots of recommendations for the O'Reilly book, which is
    > a good one. However, I would recommend "Beginning Python" by Magnus Lie
    > Hetland. All I knew before starting Python was Mathematica, and this
    > book was very helpful. It may seem to start out slow, but I've found
    > that I'm going back to those first chapters occasionally to review and
    > practice the syntax. It, and this group, have carried me through some
    > pretty tough problems (for me anyway). It's been worth it. Good luck.

    Hetland's books are excellent, particularly if you like to learn by
    example -- I believe the current one "Practical Python" is meant to
    supersede the earlier "Beginning Python" (but I'm not sure).

    Alex

    Alex Martelli, Jul 9, 2006
  11. IOANNIS MANOLOUDIS

    Vittorio Guest

    I read almost every published book about Python and I found Magnus'
    "Beginning Python" the best book to start with. As Alex said it is
    particularly appreciated by those who like learning by examples and by "try
    and error": it is actually the opposite to what Alex believed as "Beginning
    Python" is meant to be a sort of update of the previous book "Practical
    Python".

    In addition and maybe before of Magnus book I would suggest "A byte of
    Python" http://www.byteofpython.info/ the best fast introduction to Python I
    have ever seen.

    Vittorio, Jul 9, 2006
  12. IOANNIS MANOLOUDIS

    Aahz Guest

    IOANNIS MANOLOUDIS <> wrote:

    >I want to learn python.
    >I plan to buy a book. I always find printed material more convenient than
    >reading on-line tutorials.
    >I don't know PERL or any other scripting language. I only know some BASH
    >programming. I am looking for a book which will help me get started and
    >should contain the foundations. I am not looking for the Python bible.
    >Any recommendations?

    If you're willing to wait 1.5 months, _Python for Dummies_ will be the
    first book that really covers Python 2.5. (Alex's _Python in a Nutshell_
    does cover some of Python 2.5, but there were a fair number of late
    changes that came after he needed to turn it in, most notably the
    inclusion of sqlite3. It's also not a beginner book.)
    --
    Aahz () <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

    "I saw `cout' being shifted "Hello world" times to the left and stopped
    right there." --Steve Gonedes

    Aahz, Jul 9, 2006
  13. I thank everybody for your replies.
    I think I'll get Hertland's book since it's newer than O'reillys.
    I don't want to become a programmer. Neither Python is part of my studies.
    I've finished with my studies. I want to become a Unix/Linux admin and
    knowledge of either Python or Perl is an asset.
    Do you think that this book is the right one for me?
    Ioannis

    IOANNIS MANOLOUDIS, Jul 9, 2006
  14. Aahz <> wrote:

    > In article <1152405704.389754@athnrd02>,
    > IOANNIS MANOLOUDIS <> wrote:
    > >
    > >I want to learn python.
    > >I plan to buy a book. I always find printed material more convenient than
    > >reading on-line tutorials.
    > >I don't know PERL or any other scripting language. I only know some BASH
    > >programming. I am looking for a book which will help me get started and
    > >should contain the foundations. I am not looking for the Python bible.
    > >Any recommendations?

    > If you're willing to wait 1.5 months, _Python for Dummies_ will be the
    > first book that really covers Python 2.5. (Alex's _Python in a Nutshell_
    > does cover some of Python 2.5, but there were a fair number of late
    > changes that came after he needed to turn it in, most notably the
    > inclusion of sqlite3. It's also not a beginner book.)

    I confirm on both scores: the Nutshell is not meant for beginners to
    programming (it _may_ be used by experienced programmers whose
    experience comes from other languages, but it may be a stretch even for
    them, depending on what "other languages" are exactly); and, the new 2nd
    edition of the Nutshell does not cover well the big additions to Python
    2.5's standard library (ctypes and etree, as well as sqlite) -- it
    barely _mentions_ them as late-breaking developments, with pointers to
    online docs. Stef's and Aahz's "for Dummies" will be a good book for
    beginners (many people have prejudices against the whole "for Dummies"
    series, perhaps exactly because of their titles!, but, really, there ARE
    many good books in that series, if you can just accept the titles as
    well-natured, innocuous humor!) -- I only looked at a subset of its
    chapters, so I don't know in particular how well it teaches sqlite,
    ctypes and etree, but the materials I _did_ look at were excellent.

    Alex

    Alex Martelli, Jul 9, 2006
  15. IOANNIS MANOLOUDIS <> wrote:

    > I thank everybody for your replies.
    > I think I'll get Hertland's book since it's newer than O'reillys.
    > I don't want to become a programmer. Neither Python is part of my studies.
    > I've finished with my studies. I want to become a Unix/Linux admin and
    > knowledge of either Python or Perl is an asset.

    Knowledge of _both_ languages is even better for this specific task:
    many existing sysadm scripts are in Perl, and you may well be working
    side by side with other, more senior admis who are dyed-in-the-wool Perl
    hackers (since Perl is so very popular with that crowd).

    > Do you think that this book is the right one for me?

    Actually, particularly if you have any interest at all in possibly
    working in a mixed-platforms environment (including some Macs and/or
    Windows boxes as well as Linux), you might be better served by
    <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/perlsysadm/> -- at least if you accept
    my suggestion to get SOME familiarity with Perl as well as with Python.

    Yes, Perl IS harder to learn, BUT -- if you've already decided to learn
    both languages, starting with the harder one need not be a bad idea (the
    Romans' legions, back when they were the best soldiers in the world,
    trained with armor and weapons *heavier* than the ones they actually
    used in the field -- being used to heavier stuff gave them more agility
    and stamina when it most mattered, in battle and on long marches!-).

    Alex

    Alex Martelli, Jul 9, 2006
  16. IOANNIS MANOLOUDIS

    Paul Rubin Guest

    (Alex Martelli) writes:
    > Yes, Perl IS harder to learn, BUT -- if you've already decided to learn
    > both languages, starting with the harder one need not be a bad idea (the
    > Romans' legions, back when they were the best soldiers in the world,

    "Learning Perl" is actually a very well-written book for beginning
    programmers. The only thing wrong with it is it's about Perl...

    Paul Rubin, Jul 9, 2006
  17. I guess it's better to wait for the for dummies book.
    I should focus instead in taking the LPIC-2 exams in September.
    Ioannis

    IOANNIS MANOLOUDIS, Jul 10, 2006
  18. IOANNIS MANOLOUDIS

    gene tani Guest

    IOANNIS MANOLOUDIS wrote:
    > I want to learn python.
    > I plan to buy a book. I always find printed material more convenient than
    > reading on-line tutorials.
    > I don't know PERL or any other scripting language. I only know some BASH
    > programming. I am looking for a book which will help me get started and
    > should contain the foundations. I am not looking for the Python bible.
    > Any recommendations?
    > Ioannis

    Printed: Magnus Hetland's latest book, the Wrox book and OReilly
    Learning Python are all good. Chun's "Core Python" will be updated and
    released soon, that will be good too.

    Tutorials on Awaretek.com
    http://awaretek.com/tutorials.html
    cause it's always good to see something explained different ways.

    gene tani, Jul 10, 2006
  19. IOANNIS MANOLOUDIS

    Steve Holden Guest

    tac-tics wrote:
    > Philippe Martin wrote:
    >
    >>I don't know, if I were the genious that made up Python I would not believe
    >>in any bible (small b)

    > Take it to alt.religion please.

    Take it to alt.narrow-mondedness please.

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +44 150 684 7255 +1 800 494 3119

    Steve Holden, Jul 10, 2006
  20. IOANNIS MANOLOUDIS

    gregarican Guest

    Learning Python, Perl, or Ruby would help you create admin scripts that
    would save you lots of manual work. For me automated log file alerting,
    SQL query parsing, SQL table updates, Internet file
    uploading/downloading, etc. has been a huge plus. Perl is likely the
    most widely used in terms of existing scripts that you can review,
    modify, borrow ideas from, etc.

    But from a long term maintainability and readability standpoint I would
    recommend Python or Ruby over Perl. Just my $0.02...

    gregarican, Jul 10, 2006