Fragment Caching inside page caching?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Troy Simpson, Jan 19, 2004.

  1. Troy Simpson

    Troy Simpson Guest

    Hi,

    I have a website which is made up of dynamic pages. Each page that's loaded
    has some code which looks at which template to load amongst other things,
    which causes the page to take a little while to be processed. At the moment
    I have programmatic page caching in the "loader" using paramater caching to
    send a cached version of every requested page back to the user.

    How can I get particular elements inside each page to cache without removing
    the 'wrapper caching' that I have in place. Removing the main page caching
    and caching only small elements in all called pages will have no benefit at
    all. If I make a user control and put it in the page using fragment
    caching, the fragment cache is overridden by the page caching.

    An example of this is in each page render a common copyright message is
    placed at the bottom of the page, showing "copyright 2003 - 2004". The 2004
    bit is the current year. With page caching, the 2004 bit never changes, so
    from the transition from 2003-2004 I had to invalidate caching for every
    page by re-saving the main loader page, so all pages had to be re-processed
    in order to be cached. That seems a big waste.

    Another example is I have a filedownload.aspx file that shows the current
    file size in megabytes. The file size never changes while the cache is in
    effect, and the only way to get it to show the current size is to invalidate
    the filedownload.aspx file cache.

    Can someone help me improve this model?

    Regards,

    Troy