    Do you know of a free domain server that you might recommend?

    Thanks,

    Jon

    Jon Danniken, Jun 29, 2011

  2. Jon Danniken

    VanguardLH Guest

    Jon Danniken wrote:

    > Hi, I'm looking for an free domain server without ads to park my domain at.
    > I don't need any search results, and the site itself will be small and use
    > very little traffic.
    >
    > Google of course brings up thousands of SEO pages with a variety of free
    > hosts.
    >
    > Do you know of a free domain server that you might recommend?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jon

    Okay, I'll bite (just a little). "Domain server". Does that mean you
    are looking for a free DNS service provider (someone to provide a
    nameserver so your web server host can be found with a FQDN instead of
    having to use an IP address)? Or does that mean you are looking for
    webhosting service (i.e., where your web site is hosted)? If the later,
    I would think the webhoster would provide nameserver services with their
    webhosting service (although they might charge an initial or setup fee
    to update the DNS records to use your own domain name instead of their
    own but then there shouldn't be any fees thereafter).

    Do you already have a web host for your site?
    - If so, are you looking for DNS services for that existing site?
    - If not, are you looking for a webhost provider that includes DNS
    services?

    I can't see how a DNS provider is going to serve ads unless they first
    direct visitors to their ad page before letting them get to your site
    (that is, by setting their DNS record to point at their interstitial web
    page which then navigates to your web server). So I'm guessing you're
    really looking for a free webhosting provider and who lets you bring
    your domain name to their service.

    From just Googling around, I found, for example, a site that ranks
    different free webhosting providers:

    http://www.free-webhosts.com/webhosting-01.php

    I just looked at the top rated one (http://0000free.com/). Besides free
    webhosting services, they say "_Free domain hosting_ allows you to host
    your own domain, use a free 0sites.net sub-domain; or select a free
    domain from .CO.CC or .CZ.CC." with the linked string taking you to
    http://0000free.com/free-domain-hosting.html and which says "Remember,
    if you are using a free domain or your own domain, you need to point
    your domain to use the DNS servers provided in your activation email."
    Presumably you already have a registered domain. This means you tell
    your registrar to point at this webhoster (the webhoster will give you
    the details).

    http://0000free.com/hosting.html shows their different plans. The basic
    plan only gives you 10GB bandwidth per month. That's isn't much if
    you're the type that employs lots of high-quality images splattered all
    over your pages or embeds videos in your web pages (however, you might
    be able to use Photobucket to offload photos and 10-minute max videos
    from your site to their site).

    Never heard of 0000free.com before now so I can't give you any info
    regarding experience with their service. I had heard of (but never
    used) X10hosting that's in this list, too. Since disk space and
    bandwidth are unmetered, you might like this one better, especially
    since you're not sure how much traffic you will draw and haven't
    described the content you intend to deliver from your site. I couldn't
    (and didn't waste time to) find info on bringing your own domain to
    their free webhosting service. Maybe that's what they call "Addon
    Domains" of which they say they'll support 2 of them. Their article at
    http://x10hosting.com/kb/questions.php?questionid=28 wasn't clear on
    whether or not they provide a nameserver and add a record for your site
    that you have with them. X10 doesn't look too bad for free webhosting.
    Again, to get your domain used with their service means you need to tell
    your registrar to point their record at your webhoster's nameserver to
    complete the lookup (unless the webhoster will do that process for you).
    Their FAQ at http://x10hosting.com/kb/questions.php?questionid=75 means
    they don't themselves provide DNS services and you have to go elsewhere,
    like ZoneEdit, yet http://x10hosting.com/kb/questions.php?questionid=26
    is the process that I was thinking of where you tell your domain
    registrar to point their nameserver at the webhoster's nameserver to
    complete the DNS lookup.

    VanguardLH, Jun 29, 2011

  3. Jon Danniken

    Jon Danniken Guest

    VanguardLH wrote:
    > "Domain server". Does that mean you
    > are looking for a free DNS service provider (someone to provide a
    > nameserver so your web server host can be found with a FQDN instead of
    > having to use an IP address)? Or does that mean you are looking for
    > webhosting service (i.e., where your web site is hosted)?

    Yes, sorry, I'm looking for a web host.

    Jon

    Jon Danniken, Jun 29, 2011
  4. Jon Danniken

    SAZ Guest

    In article <iuees7$qp6$>,
    says...

    > Hi, I'm looking for an free domain server without ads to park my domain at.
    > I don't need any search results, and the site itself will be small and use
    > very little traffic.
    >
    > Google of course brings up thousands of SEO pages with a variety of free
    > hosts.
    >
    > Do you know of a free domain server that you might recommend?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jon

    Free hosting is free for a reason - ads, excessive downtime or no
    support, take your pick.

    There are many reputable hosting companies that offer bare bones hosting
    for $5/month or less, I suggest you choose one of them.

    SAZ, Jun 29, 2011
  5. Jon Danniken

    SAZ Guest

    In article <iueog0$e1t$>, says...

    > Jon Danniken wrote:
    >
    > > Hi, I'm looking for an free domain server without ads to park my domain at.
    > > I don't need any search results, and the site itself will be small and use
    > > very little traffic.
    > >
    > > Google of course brings up thousands of SEO pages with a variety of free
    > > hosts.
    > >
    > > Do you know of a free domain server that you might recommend?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Jon

    > From just Googling around, I found, for example, a site that ranks
    > different free webhosting providers:
    >
    > http://www.free-webhosts.com/webhosting-01.php
    >
    > I just looked at the top rated one (http://0000free.com/). Besides free
    > webhosting services, they say "_Free domain hosting_ allows you to host
    > your own domain, use a free 0sites.net sub-domain; or select a free
    > domain from .CO.CC or .CZ.CC." with the linked string taking you to
    > http://0000free.com/free-domain-hosting.html and which says "Remember,
    > if you are using a free domain or your own domain, you need to point
    > your domain to use the DNS servers provided in your activation email."

    Check out their rules:

    http://0000free.com/rules.html

    Most are standard, others are extremely limiting.

    But like I said in a previous post, free is free for a reason.

    SAZ, Jun 29, 2011
  6. Jon Danniken

    Jon Danniken Guest

    SAZ wrote:
    > In article <iuees7$qp6$>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> Hi, I'm looking for an free domain server without ads to park my
    >> domain at. I don't need any search results, and the site itself will
    >> be small and use very little traffic.
    >>
    >> Google of course brings up thousands of SEO pages with a variety of
    >> free hosts.
    >>
    >> Do you know of a free domain server that you might recommend?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Jon

    > Free hosting is free for a reason - ads, excessive downtime or no
    > support, take your pick.
    >
    > There are many reputable hosting companies that offer bare bones
    > hosting for $5/month or less, I suggest you choose one of them.

    Well, that's kind of the reason for my question. There are undoubtedly
    _some_ free webhosts which are good, I'm just hoping someone might know of
    one without me having to vet them until I find it.

    Jon

    Jon Danniken, Jun 29, 2011
  7. Jon Danniken

    David Segall Guest

    "Jon Danniken" <> wrote:

    >Hi, I'm looking for an free domain server without ads to park my domain at.
    >I don't need any search results, and the site itself will be small and use
    >very little traffic.
    >
    >Google of course brings up thousands of SEO pages with a variety of free
    >hosts.
    >
    >Do you know of a free domain server that you might recommend?

    I use <http://000webhost.com>. You must make annual visits to your
    account and regular (I use daily) access to the web site. If you don't
    they will delete it. It is also noticeably slower than paid hosting.

    David Segall, Jun 30, 2011
  8. Jon Danniken

    VanguardLH Guest

    SAZ wrote:

    > says...
    >
    >> Jon Danniken wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi, I'm looking for an free domain server without ads to park my domain at.
    >>> I don't need any search results, and the site itself will be small and use
    >>> very little traffic.

    >> From just Googling around, I found, for example, a site that ranks
    >> different free webhosting providers:
    >>
    >> http://www.free-webhosts.com/webhosting-01.php
    >>
    >> I just looked at the top rated one (http://0000free.com/).

    > Check out their rules:
    >
    > http://0000free.com/rules.html

    None of which prohibit use of this webhoster based solely on the dearth
    of requirements established by the OP. I didn't go guessing what other
    needs the OP might have now that weren't delineated here or what the OP
    might need later.

    What I offered matched what the OP said they wanted. However, the OP
    stated contrary requirements. First he says he wants to park his domain
    and then he claims there will be little traffic to his site. You don't
    get traffic to a parked domain.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parked_domain
    "Domain parking is the registration of an Internet domain name without
    using it for services such as e-mail or a website".

    Just because you register a domain doesn't mean you actually have to use
    it. You can just park it until you later decide to use it somewhere.
    This is very similar to squatting where you buy a domain, don't employ a
    web site to use that domain, but are waiting to use it later (to sell it
    to someone who wants it later).

    > Most are standard, others are extremely limiting.
    >
    > But like I said in a previous post,

    Which was 6 hours AFTER my post. I got here before you did.

    > free is free for a reason.

    Yep, and why I gave a link showing what the free account doesn't have
    that the paid ones do. I also use Avast Free, Paragon Backup & Recovery
    2010, FileLocator Lite, and Albasani (and previously Eternal-September)
    for Usenet all the while knowing that there are some features missing
    from the paid version. I've paid for Office 2000/2002/2003 but that
    didn't mean I wanted or needed to use every feature contained in that
    software. It had way more than I needed.

    Sometimes free stuff has less than I want but often (after doing some
    research) I can find free stuff that does enough to satisfy my wants and
    sometimes even my needs (since my wants could change and enlarge over
    time). If the free stuff does all of what you need then why pay for
    more stuff that you won't use? Would you feel smug in getting the
    lowest airfare on the same flight and seating area as someone who paid
    more, or would you be disappointed that you paid less than someone that
    got the same stuff as you? I don't know and haven't met anyone that is
    proud that they paid more for the same stuff for which you paid less.

    VanguardLH, Jun 30, 2011
  9. Jon Danniken

    Jon Danniken Guest

    David Segall wrote:
    > I use <http://000webhost.com>. You must make annual visits to your
    > account and regular (I use daily) access to the web site. If you don't
    > they will delete it. It is also noticeably slower than paid hosting.

    Hi David, thanks for your post, this is the kind of response I was hoping
    for (actual personal experience).

    I did drop by 000webhost in my wanderings, and I did notice, as you
    mentioned, that they like you to log into the forum regularly to keep your
    account active.

    Slow I can handle, as my needs are simple; have you experienced much
    downtime with your webpage?

    Thanks,

    Jon

    Jon Danniken, Jun 30, 2011
  10. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Jon Danniken"
    <> writing in

    > David Segall wrote:
    >> I use <http://000webhost.com>. You must make annual visits to your
    >> account and regular (I use daily) access to the web site. If you
    >> don't they will delete it. It is also noticeably slower than paid
    >> hosting.

    > Hi David, thanks for your post, this is the kind of response I was
    > hoping for (actual personal experience).
    >
    > I did drop by 000webhost in my wanderings, and I did notice, as you
    > mentioned, that they like you to log into the forum regularly to keep
    > your account active.
    >
    > Slow I can handle, as my needs are simple; have you experienced much
    > downtime with your webpage?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jon

    I use 000webhost for beta versions of web sites, and a few low traffic
    sites (my son's old preschool for example), and with the exception of a
    server going down a few weeks ago, I really have no complaints.

    That being said, I would not want to use them for a high traffic site, or
    one that is important.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Jun 30, 2011
  11. Jon Danniken

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "Jon Danniken" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I'm looking for an free domain server without ads to park my domain
    > at. I don't need any search results, and the site itself will be small and
    > use very little traffic.
    >
    > Google of course brings up thousands of SEO pages with a variety of free
    > hosts.
    >
    > Do you know of a free domain server that you might recommend?

    Have you looked at whether your ISP provides hosting? Some do, in which case
    it is likely to be fairly basic (probably no scripting for instance), but
    otherwise fine for most simple sites.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

    Brian Cryer, Jul 1, 2011
  12. Jon Danniken

    David Segall Guest

    "Jon Danniken" <> wrote:

    >David Segall wrote:
    >> I use <http://000webhost.com>. You must make annual visits to your
    >> account and regular (I use daily) access to the web site. If you don't
    >> they will delete it. It is also noticeably slower than paid hosting.

    >Hi David, thanks for your post, this is the kind of response I was hoping
    >for (actual personal experience).
    >
    >I did drop by 000webhost in my wanderings, and I did notice, as you
    >mentioned, that they like you to log into the forum regularly to keep your
    >account active.
    >
    >Slow I can handle, as my needs are simple; have you experienced much
    >downtime with your webpage?

    The short answer is "none" but it is hard to tell. I host three sites
    there and monitor them with Montastic <http://montastic.com>. I get a
    failure notice for one of them about once a week so you can expect
    "downtime" for your site once every three weeks. I am reasonably
    confident that the failure is due to a slow response rather than a
    total failure of the server. Montastic invariably reports that the
    server is OK the next time it checks. The slow response does affect an
    FTP upload of a site and I have often had to repeat an upload because
    of a timeout in my FTP client.

    You are welcome to visit <http://profectus.asia> to check the response
    times. There are some megabyte files at
    <http://profectus.asia/albums/CHS%20Reunion%202009/index.html>.

    David Segall, Jul 1, 2011
  13. Jon Danniken

    Jon Danniken Guest

    Adrienne Boswell wrote:

    > I use 000webhost for beta versions of web sites, and a few low traffic
    > sites (my son's old preschool for example), and with the exception of
    > a server going down a few weeks ago, I really have no complaints.
    >
    > That being said, I would not want to use them for a high traffic
    > site, or one that is important.

    Thanks Adrienne, looks like I'll give them a shot. I also came across a
    service called "cloudflare.com" which purports to help in keeping a page
    active in the event of a server going down. They have a free account I
    might sign up for once I get my page up and running.

    Jon

    Jon Danniken, Jul 1, 2011
  14. Jon Danniken

    Jon Danniken Guest

    David Segall wrote:
    > "Jon Danniken" wrote:
    >
    >> Slow I can handle, as my needs are simple; have you experienced much
    >> downtime with your webpage?

    > The short answer is "none" but it is hard to tell. I host three sites
    > there and monitor them with Montastic <http://montastic.com>. I get a
    > failure notice for one of them about once a week so you can expect
    > "downtime" for your site once every three weeks. I am reasonably
    > confident that the failure is due to a slow response rather than a
    > total failure of the server. Montastic invariably reports that the
    > server is OK the next time it checks. The slow response does affect an
    > FTP upload of a site and I have often had to repeat an upload because
    > of a timeout in my FTP client.
    >
    > You are welcome to visit <http://profectus.asia> to check the response
    > times. There are some megabyte files at
    > <http://profectus.asia/albums/CHS%20Reunion%202009/index.html>.

    Excellent, thanks David. It looks like I'll be giving them a go once I get
    my page built.

    Jon

    Jon Danniken, Jul 1, 2011
  15. Jon Danniken

    Jon Danniken Guest

    Brian Cryer wrote:
    > Have you looked at whether your ISP provides hosting? Some do, in
    > which case it is likely to be fairly basic (probably no scripting for
    > instance), but otherwise fine for most simple sites.

    Hi Brian, my ISP does provide personal webpages, but I am looking for a
    place to host the webpage for my domain (domain webhost?).

    Jon

    Jon Danniken, Jul 1, 2011
  16. Jon Danniken

    David Segall Guest

    "Jon Danniken" <> wrote:

    >Brian Cryer wrote:
    >> Have you looked at whether your ISP provides hosting? Some do, in
    >> which case it is likely to be fairly basic (probably no scripting for
    >> instance), but otherwise fine for most simple sites.

    >Hi Brian, my ISP does provide personal webpages, but I am looking for a
    >place to host the webpage for my domain (domain webhost?).

    You can do that by forwarding your domain to your personal page using
    a domain name manager. ZoneEdit <http://www.zoneedit.com/> is free and
    provides both web and email forwarding. Web forwarding has a
    disadvantage in that you have to choose between revealing the real URL
    at your ISP or showing the same forwarded URL on every page of your
    site.

    I have some notes about cheap web hosting at
    <http://profectus.com.au/ee_cheapweb.html>.

    David Segall, Jul 2, 2011