    Is there such a service available today?

    Thanks.

    , Aug 30, 2006

  2. eehome Guest

    Hello, if you register through veenames.com I can setup free one page
    hosting for you.

    Cheers

    写é“:

    eehome, Aug 30, 2006

  3. wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I want to buy a domain and then have hosted a single,
    > 2000-byte or less page that I provide, for free.
    > I recall that there used to be such a thing in existence.
    > I basically want to set up a custom domain masking
    > situation myself and I don't need elaborate hosting
    > options. And of course, I want to use my own ads.
    >
    > Is there such a service available today?

    http://themooseisloose.net/freehosting.html

    Only an activation fee of $4.95 (USD) is required. Beyond that, it's
    free.

    --
    Kim André Akerø
    -

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=, Aug 30, 2006
  4. David Segall Guest

    wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I want to buy a domain and then have hosted a single,
    >2000-byte or less page that I provide, for free.
    >I recall that there used to be such a thing in existence.
    >I basically want to set up a custom domain masking
    >situation myself and I don't need elaborate hosting
    >options. And of course, I want to use my own ads.
    >
    >Is there such a service available today?

    ZoneEdit <http://www.zonedit.com> comes close to your request and may
    be a better alternative. You could host a free web page there but it
    is in their format. However, you can redirect a web address to
    wherever you like and, optionally, cloak it. If, like most ISPs,
    your's gives you free web space you can redirect the domain name
    there. Up to five domain names are free.

    David Segall, Aug 30, 2006
  5. Ed Mullen Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I want to buy a domain and then have hosted a single,
    > 2000-byte or less page that I provide, for free.
    > I recall that there used to be such a thing in existence.
    > I basically want to set up a custom domain masking
    > situation myself and I don't need elaborate hosting
    > options. And of course, I want to use my own ads.
    >
    > Is there such a service available today?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I may be missing something but you already have what you want through
    your ISP, Comcast. It's called Personal Web Pages. Once you register a
    domain name you can redirect traffic to that address to your Comcast page.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Aug 31, 2006
  6. dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    > I may be missing something but you already have what you want through
    > your ISP, Comcast. It's called Personal Web Pages. Once you register a
    > domain name you can redirect traffic to that address to your Comcast page.

    mm... good point... I vaguely wondered about this when I
    registered a personal website... I have webspace coming out of my
    ears via my broadband isp, via compliant friends who never need
    their free allotment, etc. And yet I coughed up for hosting just
    for it with a company (different to my isp). True, not much, 40
    miserable downunder buckeroos. I use the free webspace elsewhere
    to supplement the miserable 10MB that comes for the 40 to make
    for respectable elbow room but... it seems that this scurrilous
    cheapskate cadging strategy of mine is not quite as low as I can
    get eh? Might have to look into it. What do you do, ask the
    registrar of the domain to point it to where I want? Perhaps the
    downside - I think as I type, sorry - is the domain url changes
    in the browser url field of the website user? mm... might be
    worth the 40 after all to avoid this...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Aug 31, 2006
  7. PeterL Guest

    I use netZoom they charge $4.95 per month with loads of space and you can
    pay per month so no big upfront payment. Its also reseller friendly!

    PeterL

    PeterL, Sep 1, 2006
  8. Ed Mullen Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    >
    >> I may be missing something but you already have what you want through
    >> your ISP, Comcast. It's called Personal Web Pages. Once you register a
    >> domain name you can redirect traffic to that address to your Comcast page.

    > mm... good point... I vaguely wondered about this when I
    > registered a personal website... I have webspace coming out of my
    > ears via my broadband isp, via compliant friends who never need
    > their free allotment, etc. And yet I coughed up for hosting just
    > for it with a company (different to my isp). True, not much, 40
    > miserable downunder buckeroos. I use the free webspace elsewhere
    > to supplement the miserable 10MB that comes for the 40 to make
    > for respectable elbow room but... it seems that this scurrilous
    > cheapskate cadging strategy of mine is not quite as low as I can
    > get eh? Might have to look into it. What do you do, ask the
    > registrar of the domain to point it to where I want? Perhaps the
    > downside - I think as I type, sorry - is the domain url changes
    > in the browser url field of the website user? mm... might be
    > worth the 40 after all to avoid this...

    Your domain company should have a "control panel" or some such online
    tool for you to manage your domain. It is there that you can setup
    email addresses, sub-domains (see links below), and redirection.

    My ISP (Comcast) subscription gives me 7 email addresses each of which
    has 25 Mb of Web page storage space. My main domain name (edmullen.net)
    simply redirects to one or more of my Comcast Web spaces. You can set
    up the redirection as either URL Redirect (where the actual URL of the
    final destination is shown to the user) or URL Frame (where only the
    domain name is shown, not the actual URL, path or page.

    By the way, I never noticed it before but SeaMonkey's spell checker just
    asked if I wanted to change "dorayme" to "deodorant." :-D

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Sep 1, 2006
  9. dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> I may be missing something but you already have what you want through
    > >> your ISP, Comcast. It's called Personal Web Pages. Once you register a
    > >> domain name you can redirect traffic to that address to your Comcast page.

    > > mm... good point... I vaguely wondered about this when I
    > > registered a personal website... I have webspace coming out of my
    > > ears via my broadband isp, via compliant friends who never need
    > > their free allotment, etc. And yet I coughed up for hosting just
    > > for it with a company (different to my isp). True, not much, 40
    > > miserable downunder buckeroos. I use the free webspace elsewhere
    > > to supplement the miserable 10MB that comes for the 40 to make
    > > for respectable elbow room but... it seems that this scurrilous
    > > cheapskate cadging strategy of mine is not quite as low as I can
    > > get eh? Might have to look into it. What do you do, ask the
    > > registrar of the domain to point it to where I want? Perhaps the
    > > downside - I think as I type, sorry - is the domain url changes
    > > in the browser url field of the website user? mm... might be
    > > worth the 40 after all to avoid this...
    > >

    > Your domain company should have a "control panel" or some such online
    > tool for you to manage your domain. It is there that you can setup
    > email addresses, sub-domains (see links below), and redirection.
    >
    > My ISP (Comcast) subscription gives me 7 email addresses each of which
    > has 25 Mb of Web page storage space. My main domain name (edmullen.net)
    > simply redirects to one or more of my Comcast Web spaces. You can set
    > up the redirection as either URL Redirect (where the actual URL of the
    > final destination is shown to the user) or URL Frame (where only the
    > domain name is shown, not the actual URL, path or page.

    OK, but it is right that I would then lose the advantage of the
    domain url staying as is in the browser url text field, yes?

    > By the way, I never noticed it before but SeaMonkey's spell checker just
    > asked if I wanted to change "dorayme" to "deodorant." :-D

    mm... what can I say? I have used all my spellcheckers in all my
    computers to try to turn something provocative on you and have
    failed, I get as first options usually Mullen, or Mullein. You
    have a very safe name Ed, and I am quite jealous. Interested in
    selling it? Good terms mate, I trade in dorayme to you for
    discount..

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Sep 2, 2006
  10. Ed Mullen Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    >> By the way, I never noticed it before but SeaMonkey's spell checker just
    >> asked if I wanted to change "dorayme" to "deodorant." :-D

    > mm... what can I say? I have used all my spellcheckers in all my
    > computers to try to turn something provocative on you and have
    > failed, I get as first options usually Mullen, or Mullein. You
    > have a very safe name Ed, and I am quite jealous. Interested in
    > selling it? Good terms mate, I trade in dorayme to you for
    > discount..

    LOL! Ooo! I've heard of selling domains for other reasons but never this!

    Yes, "Mullen" is pretty boring, as is "Ed." However, before you jump on
    this, consider the historical basis of "Mullen." If you take it back
    far enough it harks to the Irish "O'Maulden" (close as I can remember
    from many years-ago research) meaning (roughly) "The Bald One." Hey,
    might be good if you're thinking of opening a hair-cutting salon! ;-)

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Sep 2, 2006
  11. Ed Mullen Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    >
    >> dorayme wrote:

    >>> mm... good point... I vaguely wondered about this when I
    >>> registered a personal website... I have webspace coming out of my
    >>> ears via my broadband isp, via compliant friends who never need
    >>> their free allotment, etc. And yet I coughed up for hosting just
    >>> for it with a company (different to my isp). True, not much, 40
    >>> miserable downunder buckeroos. I use the free webspace elsewhere
    >>> to supplement the miserable 10MB that comes for the 40 to make
    >>> for respectable elbow room but... it seems that this scurrilous
    >>> cheapskate cadging strategy of mine is not quite as low as I can
    >>> get eh? Might have to look into it. What do you do, ask the
    >>> registrar of the domain to point it to where I want? Perhaps the
    >>> downside - I think as I type, sorry - is the domain url changes
    >>> in the browser url field of the website user? mm... might be
    >>> worth the 40 after all to avoid this...
    >>>

    >> Your domain company should have a "control panel" or some such online
    >> tool for you to manage your domain. It is there that you can setup
    >> email addresses, sub-domains (see links below), and redirection.
    >>
    >> My ISP (Comcast) subscription gives me 7 email addresses each of which
    >> has 25 Mb of Web page storage space. My main domain name (edmullen.net)
    >> simply redirects to one or more of my Comcast Web spaces. You can set
    >> up the redirection as either URL Redirect (where the actual URL of the
    >> final destination is shown to the user) or URL Frame (where only the
    >> domain name is shown, not the actual URL, path or page.
    >>

    > OK, but it is right that I would then lose the advantage of the
    > domain url staying as is in the browser url text field, yes?

    Yeah. With domain Frame Redirect you don't get any final destination
    info so the user can't bookmark a page: all that appears and is saved
    is "mydomain.com" or some such, no matter what page the user lands on.
    With URL Redirects (like I use) the user "sees" the actual page on the
    real site and can bookmark it etc. The only strange thing about this is
    that when a user clicks on a link in (for instance) an email I send that
    says:

    http://edmullen.net/mozilla/moz.html

    The actually land on:

    http://ed.mullen.home.comcast.net/Mozilla/moz.html

    A possible source of some confusion if people are paying attention to
    their location bars. On the other hand, if you opt for URL Frame
    Redirect, when they click on a link like:

    http://edmullen.net/mozilla/moz.html

    their location bar might simply say:

    http://mozilla.edmullen.net

    no matter what page they landed on. And their browser would not
    correctly bookmark the page.

    Hey, (huge sigh), life is not perfect.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Sep 2, 2006
  12. dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    > OK, but it is right that I would then lose the advantage of the
    > > domain url staying as is in the browser url text field, yes?

    > Yeah. With domain Frame Redirect you don't get any final destination
    > info so the user can't bookmark a page: all that appears and is saved
    > is "mydomain.com" or some such, no matter what page the user lands on.
    > With URL Redirects (like I use) the user "sees" the actual page on the
    > real site and can bookmark it etc. The only strange thing about this is
    > that when a user clicks on a link in (for instance) an email I send that
    > says:
    >
    > http://edmullen.net/mozilla/moz.html
    >
    > The actually land on:
    >
    > http://ed.mullen.home.comcast.net/Mozilla/moz.html
    >
    > A possible source of some confusion if people are paying attention to
    > their location bars. On the other hand, if you opt for URL Frame
    > Redirect, when they click on a link like:
    >
    > http://edmullen.net/mozilla/moz.html
    >
    > their location bar might simply say:
    >
    > http://mozilla.edmullen.net
    >
    > no matter what page they landed on. And their browser would not
    > correctly bookmark the page.
    >
    > Hey, (huge sigh), life is not perfect.

    Mate, I think the 40 buckeroos I shell out is worth it!

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Sep 2, 2006
  13. Ed Mullen Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    >
    >> OK, but it is right that I would then lose the advantage of the
    >>> domain url staying as is in the browser url text field, yes?

    >> Yeah. With domain Frame Redirect you don't get any final destination
    >> info so the user can't bookmark a page: all that appears and is saved
    >> is "mydomain.com" or some such, no matter what page the user lands on.
    >> With URL Redirects (like I use) the user "sees" the actual page on the
    >> real site and can bookmark it etc. The only strange thing about this is
    >> that when a user clicks on a link in (for instance) an email I send that
    >> says:
    >>
    >> http://edmullen.net/mozilla/moz.html
    >>
    >> The actually land on:
    >>
    >> http://ed.mullen.home.comcast.net/Mozilla/moz.html
    >>
    >> A possible source of some confusion if people are paying attention to
    >> their location bars. On the other hand, if you opt for URL Frame
    >> Redirect, when they click on a link like:
    >>
    >> http://edmullen.net/mozilla/moz.html
    >>
    >> their location bar might simply say:
    >>
    >> http://mozilla.edmullen.net
    >>
    >> no matter what page they landed on. And their browser would not
    >> correctly bookmark the page.
    >>
    >> Hey, (huge sigh), life is not perfect.

    > Mate, I think the 40 buckeroos I shell out is worth it!

    I did for a while too. and then I had to consider what I was already
    paying for and it had enough space. but, yes, lots of plans out there to
    consider, not one answer is right for everyone. And the "built-in"
    space rarely has any server-side functions so many of the solutions
    touted here simply are not options for many folk.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Sep 2, 2006
  14. dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    > > Mate, I think the 40 buckeroos I shell out is worth it!
    > >

    > I did for a while too. and then I had to consider what I was already
    > paying for and it had enough space. but, yes, lots of plans out there to
    > consider, not one answer is right for everyone. And the "built-in"
    > space rarely has any server-side functions so many of the solutions
    > touted here simply are not options for many folk.

    I get the uncanny feeling of us talking over slightly crossed
    wires... but this may be because I am hazy on some of these
    things. What I know is this: I have a private web domain. I host
    it on a remote server and pay 40 bucks a year for this. It has
    PHP and a lot of stuff. Its limitation seems to be merely
    miserable (10MB) webspace which it shares with email. This is no
    problem as I piggy back files from other servers... I also have
    my own ISP for my broadband connection and I get 10MB there too.
    This is a totally different server and the webspace is free. In
    addition I have access to all sorts of webspace courtesy of
    friends and orgs that do not use all theirs. (Why hell, I even
    have a free dorayme one that I don't use any more because it has
    ads, is awful generally and it irritated Korpela once, I actually
    don't blame him, it irritated me.)

    I am seeing this advantage for me to keep it:

    When it says mydomain.com.au in browser url bars, this remains
    true as the left most bit of the url and does not play tricks.
    That is worth 40 bucks.

    One of the sites I maintain is a site for a teaching organization
    and it is pointed in some way to a local University server now,
    but it acquires (rather confusedly for most people, not me) the
    uni server address. You type in something like www.teaching.org
    and you then get the sort of tricky little play in the url bar
    that had it been done by any poker player across the table would
    result in him losing his hand, (yes, his paw) by an enraged me.
    It acquires the uni server address www.uni.com.au/arts/blah blah
    instead of what the user types in.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Sep 2, 2006
  15. Ed Mullen Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Mate, I think the 40 buckeroos I shell out is worth it!
    >>>

    >> I did for a while too. and then I had to consider what I was already
    >> paying for and it had enough space. but, yes, lots of plans out there to
    >> consider, not one answer is right for everyone. And the "built-in"
    >> space rarely has any server-side functions so many of the solutions
    >> touted here simply are not options for many folk.

    > I get the uncanny feeling of us talking over slightly crossed
    > wires... but this may be because I am hazy on some of these
    > things. What I know is this: I have a private web domain. I host
    > it on a remote server and pay 40 bucks a year for this. It has
    > PHP and a lot of stuff. Its limitation seems to be merely
    > miserable (10MB) webspace which it shares with email. This is no
    > problem as I piggy back files from other servers... I also have
    > my own ISP for my broadband connection and I get 10MB there too.
    > This is a totally different server and the webspace is free. In
    > addition I have access to all sorts of webspace courtesy of
    > friends and orgs that do not use all theirs. (Why hell, I even
    > have a free dorayme one that I don't use any more because it has
    > ads, is awful generally and it irritated Korpela once, I actually
    > don't blame him, it irritated me.)
    >
    > I am seeing this advantage for me to keep it:
    >
    > When it says mydomain.com.au in browser url bars, this remains
    > true as the left most bit of the url and does not play tricks.
    > That is worth 40 bucks.
    >
    > One of the sites I maintain is a site for a teaching organization
    > and it is pointed in some way to a local University server now,
    > but it acquires (rather confusedly for most people, not me) the
    > uni server address. You type in something like www.teaching.org
    > and you then get the sort of tricky little play in the url bar
    > that had it been done by any poker player across the table would
    > result in him losing his hand, (yes, his paw) by an enraged me.
    > It acquires the uni server address www.uni.com.au/arts/blah blah
    > instead of what the user types in.

    Unless I'm missing it, we're saying the same thing, vis-a-vis the domain
    stuff. But, hey, it's 1:20AM here and I'm off to bed since the chance
    of my saying anything moderately coherent now is pretty slim.

    Oh, crap. I lost my cell phone! Wait ... I'll call it from my home
    phone ... oh! Yep, I hear it ringing out on the deck ... ok. All's
    right with the world. Sorta. ;-) Manana.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Sep 2, 2006
  16. dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    > Unless I'm missing it, we're saying the same thing, vis-a-vis the domain
    > stuff. But, hey, it's 1:20AM here and I'm off to bed since the chance
    > of my saying anything moderately coherent now is pretty slim.

    Sleep well Ed! Now, who can I play with that is up and awake?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Sep 2, 2006
  17. David Segall Guest

    dorayme <> wrote:

    >What I know is this: I have a private web domain. I host
    >it on a remote server and pay 40 bucks a year for this. It has
    >PHP and a lot of stuff. Its limitation seems to be merely
    >miserable (10MB) webspace which it shares with email. This is no
    >problem as I piggy back files from other servers...
    >
    >When it says mydomain.com.au in browser url bars, this remains
    >true as the left most bit of the url and does not play tricks.

    Are you saying that when a browser arrives at one of your pages on a
    server (friendsdomain.com) where you have borrowed some space the URL
    displayed in the browser is still mydomain.com.au/somepage.html? How
    do you do that?

    David Segall, Sep 2, 2006
  18. El Cheapo Guest

    Instead of wasting your time on these free services, you could better pay
    for a decent solution (Most of the time it's crap!)
    Prices are low these days, and you will get quality, speed and availability.

    A good starting point with today's big competitors can be found on
    http://hosting.woohoow.net

    El Cheapo, Sep 2, 2006
  19. dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    David Segall <> wrote:

    > dorayme <> wrote:
    >
    > >What I know is this: I have a private web domain. I host
    > >it on a remote server and pay 40 bucks a year for this. It has
    > >PHP and a lot of stuff. Its limitation seems to be merely
    > >miserable (10MB) webspace which it shares with email. This is no
    > >problem as I piggy back files from other servers...
    > >
    > >When it says mydomain.com.au in browser url bars, this remains
    > >true as the left most bit of the url and does not play tricks.

    > Are you saying that when a browser arrives at one of your pages on a
    > server (friendsdomain.com) where you have borrowed some space the URL
    > displayed in the browser is still mydomain.com.au/somepage.html? How
    > do you do that?

    Nothing, David, as complicated as you are imagining by my phrase
    "piggy back". If a set of pics, for example, takes up a lot of
    space, I keep them on wherever is convenient. The HTMLs load from
    my server and so the address is my domain address and
    /wherevertheHTMLis.

    I mostly don't let browsers go anywhere else. In fact I have a
    secret technique to capture people within my domain, where I
    torture them with loquacious jocularity.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Sep 2, 2006

    > situation myself and I don't need elaborate hosting
    > options. And of course, I want to use my own ads.
    >
    > Is there such a service available today?

    www.hostadfree.org tests and lists free hosting providers that don't
    force ads

    , Sep 6, 2006