'gem list --remote' is blank??

Jon Garvin

When running 'gem list --remote' on our linux and mac machines, we get a
huge list of available gems, but when doing the same on a windows laptop
in the office, we just get...

*** REMOTE GEMS ***

Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org/

and then after a long while, it returns to the command line without
listing any gems.

Does anybody have a clue what's going on? The laptop is on the network,
and we can browse to http://gems.rugyforge.org/ just fine.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ara.t.howard

When running 'gem list --remote' on our linux and mac machines, we
get a
huge list of available gems, but when doing the same on a windows
laptop
in the office, we just get...

*** REMOTE GEMS ***

Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org/

and then after a long while, it returns to the command line without
listing any gems.

Does anybody have a clue what's going on? The laptop is on the
network,
and we can browse to http://gems.rugyforge.org/ just fine.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

i installed them all. all gems are gone.

a @ http://codeforpeople.com/

Jon Garvin

ara.t.howard said:
i installed them all. all gems are gone.
If that was intended to be a helpful suggestion, I'm afraid I don't
understand what you're trying to say.

Joel VanderWerf

Jon said:
If that was intended to be a helpful suggestion, I'm afraid I don't
understand what you're trying to say.

It was a very droll (or troll?) joke :)

For me on windows, this list populates normally. Could it be a firewall
issue? Windows blocking outgoing traffic?

Adam Shelly

When running 'gem list --remote' on our linux and mac machines, we get a
huge list of available gems, but when doing the same on a windows laptop
in the office, we just get...

*** REMOTE GEMS ***

Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org/

and then after a long while, it returns to the command line without
listing any gems.

Does anybody have a clue what's going on? The laptop is on the network,
and we can browse to http://gems.rugyforge.org/ just fine.
I have a similar problem. I think it's a firewall/proxy thing.
Googling "ruby gem firewall" gives a bunch of promising results about
workarounds, but I haven't tried any yet. I usually just download
through my browser then do a gem install -l.

-Adam