Good Java IDE?

Matthew Hanna

What is a good java ide?

I am looking at JBuilder X and JBuilder Developer 2005 but I don't see
much of a difference. Same price for a single user even.

Any opinions or other options to explore?

Thanks!
Matthew Hanna

Andy Hill

Matthew Hanna said:
What is a good java ide?

I am looking at JBuilder X and JBuilder Developer 2005 but I don't see
much of a difference. Same price for a single user even.

Any opinions or other options to explore?
Pretty much all the biggies have some way to "try before you buy". Give them
a shot with a *real* project before you decide.

I'd look into the freebies first -- Eclipse or Netbeans. Lots of folks use
them and like them.

OTOH, they both drive me nucking futz...I ended up paying cash money for
IntelliJ IDEA, which has a use model that seems to click a lot better with my
way of thinking -- almost like the IDE is telepathic or something.

Paul Tomblin

In a previous article said:
What is a good java ide?

gvim, ctags, and Firefox with a page open to the Java API docs.
Oh, and a really big screen so you can have lots of source windows open at
the same time.

Code Warrior

Matthew said:
What is a good java ide?

I am looking at JBuilder X and JBuilder Developer 2005 but I don't see
much of a difference. Same price for a single user even.

Any opinions or other options to explore?

Thanks!
Matthew Hanna

vi, nedit, ultraedit32

Code Warrior

Dimitri Maziuk

Paul Tomblin sez:
gvim, ctags, and Firefox with a page open to the Java API docs.
Oh, and a really big screen so you can have lots of source windows open at
the same time.

Heh. I kinda like dot-completion. I grow more fond of it every time
I have to type something like
java.sql.PreparedStatement pq = table.getConnection().prepareStatement(
sql.toString(), java.sql.ResultSet.TYPE_FORWARD_ONLY,
java.sql.ResultSet.CONCUR_READ_ONLY );

To the OP:

Borland's big selling point is database-aware GUI components.
Difference between JBX and JB2005 is that 2005 works with Java 1.5.
Other goodies, such as refactoring and UML are available, but not in
free edition.

NetBeans 3.6: pretty stable, limited refactoring support. NetBeans 4:
support for 1.5, completely reworked IDE based on ant. Result: many
things available out-of-the box in 3.6 are now not there or require
100's lines of custom ant script to work, lots of breakage.

Dima

Aquila Deus

Matthew said:
What is a good java ide?

I am looking at JBuilder X and JBuilder Developer 2005 but I don't see
much of a difference. Same price for a single user even.

Any opinions or other options to explore?
mc + vim (server) is the best!

Nick

Matthew said:
What is a good java ide?

I am looking at JBuilder X and JBuilder Developer 2005 but I don't see
much of a difference. Same price for a single user even.

Any opinions or other options to explore?

Thanks!
Matthew Hanna

I always liked JCreator (http://www.jcreator.com) It's a smaller scale
IDE--It can be used for larger projects but I see more fit for smaller
ones. Personally I like JBuilder because of its ease of use for
developing web services.

nicodemus

Well.... you can download it and try it for as long as you like...

(I'm not sure about the licensing now. But I used it a couple of years
back. X days trial. But non-expiry. Fully featured. However, after some
time a desperate Oracle salesperson needing to fill her sales target
looked up my number and reminded me that it wasn't and attempted to
persuade me to buy it.)

Dobieslaw Wroblewski

I found something like that:

"All software downloads are free, and each comes with a development license
that allows you to use full versions of the products only while developing
and prototyping your applications."

Looks like it's free for non-commercial use.

DW.

Andrew McDonagh

Matthew said:
What is a good java ide?

I am looking at JBuilder X and JBuilder Developer 2005 but I don't see
much of a difference. Same price for a single user even.

Any opinions or other options to explore?

Thanks!
Matthew Hanna

I've only used the very early versions of JBuilder so can't really
comment on the latest.

Until last year our company was using TogetherSoft (now owned by
Borland) which was very good. However, it could not handle the large
code base our product has become. Therefore we changed to Eclipse a year
ago. Its a great IDE - would fully recommend it.

Might be of interest, Togethersoft was $2500 per seat, Eclipse is free.
but the money was not an issue for us, having an IDE we liked to use
and could handle our code base was the only issue.

(needless to say our management liked the cost reduction though)

EricF

I've only used the very early versions of JBuilder so can't really
comment on the latest.

Until last year our company was using TogetherSoft (now owned by
Borland) which was very good. However, it could not handle the large
code base our product has become. Therefore we changed to Eclipse a year
ago. Its a great IDE - would fully recommend it.

Might be of interest, Togethersoft was $2500 per seat, Eclipse is free.
but the money was not an issue for us, having an IDE we liked to use
and could handle our code base was the only issue.

(needless to say our management liked the cost reduction though)

Jetbrain's IntelliJ Idea is a great IDE. I've used JBuilder and Eclipse and
prefer Idea. But it's not free.

Eric

Tom Dyess

EricF said:
Jetbrain's IntelliJ Idea is a great IDE. I've used JBuilder and Eclipse
and
prefer Idea. But it's not free.

Eric

I started with JBuilder X then tried 2005. I come from Borland Delphi, so
JBuilder was more familiar. Once I understood the Java development
framework, I switched to Eclipse and like it better.

Drew V

Last time we met said:
Jetbrain's IntelliJ Idea is a great IDE. I've used JBuilder and Eclipse and
prefer Idea. But it's not free.

Idea is really nice. When you use it, you can tell they've spent a lot
of time thinking about the UI.

dv