    Any opinions or other options to explore?

    Thanks!
    Matthew Hanna
    Matthew Hanna, Jan 28, 2005

  2. Eclipse.

    www.eclipse.org

    Alex Molochnikov, Jan 28, 2005

  3. Matthew Hanna

    CD1 Guest

    I like NetBeans, good for hand coding and for "visual coding", if you
    like it :)
    It's free and made by Sun Microsystems =)

    http://www.netbeans.org
    CD1, Jan 28, 2005
  4. Matthew Hanna

    Andy Hill Guest

    Matthew Hanna <> wrote:
    >What is a good java ide?
    >
    >I am looking at JBuilder X and JBuilder Developer 2005 but I don't see
    >much of a difference. Same price for a single user even.
    >
    >Any opinions or other options to explore?

    Pretty much all the biggies have some way to "try before you buy". Give them
    a shot with a *real* project before you decide.

    I'd look into the freebies first -- Eclipse or Netbeans. Lots of folks use
    them and like them.

    OTOH, they both drive me nucking futz...I ended up paying cash money for
    IntelliJ IDEA, which has a use model that seems to click a lot better with my
    way of thinking -- almost like the IDE is telepathic or something.
    Andy Hill, Jan 28, 2005
  5. Matthew Hanna

    Paul Tomblin Guest

    In a previous article, Matthew Hanna <> said:
    >What is a good java ide?

    gvim, ctags, and Firefox with a page open to the Java API docs.
    Oh, and a really big screen so you can have lots of source windows open at
    the same time.

    --
    Paul Tomblin <> http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
    Diplomacy is the ability to let someone else have your way.
    Paul Tomblin, Jan 28, 2005
  6. Matthew Hanna

    willirl Guest

  7. Matthew Hanna

    Code Warrior Guest

    Matthew Hanna wrote:
    > What is a good java ide?
    >
    > I am looking at JBuilder X and JBuilder Developer 2005 but I don't see
    > much of a difference. Same price for a single user even.
    >
    > Any opinions or other options to explore?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Matthew Hanna

    vi, nedit, ultraedit32

    Code Warrior
    Code Warrior, Jan 28, 2005
  8. Paul Tomblin sez:
    > In a previous article, Matthew Hanna <> said:
    >>What is a good java ide?

    > gvim, ctags, and Firefox with a page open to the Java API docs.
    > Oh, and a really big screen so you can have lots of source windows open at
    > the same time.

    Heh. I kinda like dot-completion. I grow more fond of it every time
    I have to type something like
    java.sql.PreparedStatement pq = table.getConnection().prepareStatement(
    sql.toString(), java.sql.ResultSet.TYPE_FORWARD_ONLY,
    java.sql.ResultSet.CONCUR_READ_ONLY );

    To the OP:

    Borland's big selling point is database-aware GUI components.
    Difference between JBX and JB2005 is that 2005 works with Java 1.5.
    Other goodies, such as refactoring and UML are available, but not in
    free edition.

    NetBeans 3.6: pretty stable, limited refactoring support. NetBeans 4:
    support for 1.5, completely reworked IDE based on ant. Result: many
    things available out-of-the box in 3.6 are now not there or require
    100's lines of custom ant script to work, lots of breakage.

    Dima
    --
    The most horrifying thing about Unix is that, no matter how many times you hit
    yourself over the head with it, you never quite manage to lose consciousness.
    Dimitri Maziuk, Jan 28, 2005
  9. Matthew Hanna

    Aquila Deus Guest

    Matthew Hanna wrote:
    > What is a good java ide?
    >
    > I am looking at JBuilder X and JBuilder Developer 2005 but I don't

    see
    > much of a difference. Same price for a single user even.
    >
    > Any opinions or other options to explore?

    mc + vim (server) is the best!
    Aquila Deus, Jan 29, 2005
  10. Matthew Hanna

    Andrew Tyson Guest

    Andrew Tyson, Jan 29, 2005
  11. Matthew Hanna

    Nick Guest

    Matthew Hanna wrote:
    > What is a good java ide?
    >
    > I am looking at JBuilder X and JBuilder Developer 2005 but I don't see
    > much of a difference. Same price for a single user even.
    >
    > Any opinions or other options to explore?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Matthew Hanna

    I always liked JCreator (http://www.jcreator.com) It's a smaller scale
    IDE--It can be used for larger projects but I see more fit for smaller
    ones. Personally I like JBuilder because of its ease of use for
    developing web services.
    Nick, Jan 29, 2005
  12. Matthew Hanna

    Alan Krueger Guest

    Code Warrior wrote:
    > vi, nedit, ultraedit32

    An editor does not an Integrated Development Environment make.
    Alan Krueger, Jan 29, 2005
  13. Dobieslaw Wroblewski, Jan 29, 2005
  14. Matthew Hanna

    Guest

    Well.... you can download it and try it for as long as you like...

    (I'm not sure about the licensing now. But I used it a couple of years
    back. X days trial. But non-expiry. Fully featured. However, after some
    time a desperate Oracle salesperson needing to fill her sales target
    looked up my number and reminded me that it wasn't and attempted to
    persuade me to buy it.)

    Dobieslaw Wroblewski wrote:
    > > jdeveloper
    > > http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/jdev/index.html

    > Is it free?
    >
    > DW.
    , Jan 29, 2005
  15. I found something like that:

    "All software downloads are free, and each comes with a development license
    that allows you to use full versions of the products only while developing
    and prototyping your applications."

    Looks like it's free for non-commercial use.

    DW.
    Dobieslaw Wroblewski, Jan 29, 2005
  16. Matthew Hanna wrote:
    > What is a good java ide?
    >
    > I am looking at JBuilder X and JBuilder Developer 2005 but I don't see
    > much of a difference. Same price for a single user even.
    >
    > Any opinions or other options to explore?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Matthew Hanna

    I've only used the very early versions of JBuilder so can't really
    comment on the latest.

    Until last year our company was using TogetherSoft (now owned by
    Borland) which was very good. However, it could not handle the large
    code base our product has become. Therefore we changed to Eclipse a year
    ago. Its a great IDE - would fully recommend it.

    Might be of interest, Togethersoft was $2500 per seat, Eclipse is free.
    but the money was not an issue for us, having an IDE we liked to use
    and could handle our code base was the only issue.

    (needless to say our management liked the cost reduction though)
    Andrew McDonagh, Jan 29, 2005
  17. Matthew Hanna

    EricF Guest

    In article <ctgp9b$35o$2surf.net>, wrote:
    >Matthew Hanna wrote:
    >> What is a good java ide?
    >>
    >> I am looking at JBuilder X and JBuilder Developer 2005 but I don't see
    >> much of a difference. Same price for a single user even.
    >>
    >> Any opinions or other options to explore?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >> Matthew Hanna

    >I've only used the very early versions of JBuilder so can't really
    >comment on the latest.
    >
    >Until last year our company was using TogetherSoft (now owned by
    >Borland) which was very good. However, it could not handle the large
    >code base our product has become. Therefore we changed to Eclipse a year
    >ago. Its a great IDE - would fully recommend it.
    >
    >Might be of interest, Togethersoft was $2500 per seat, Eclipse is free.
    > but the money was not an issue for us, having an IDE we liked to use
    >and could handle our code base was the only issue.
    >
    >(needless to say our management liked the cost reduction though)

    Jetbrain's IntelliJ Idea is a great IDE. I've used JBuilder and Eclipse and
    prefer Idea. But it's not free.

    Eric
    EricF, Jan 30, 2005
  18. Matthew Hanna

    Tom Dyess Guest

    "EricF" <> wrote in message
    > In article <ctgp9b$35o$2surf.net>, wrote:
    >>Matthew Hanna wrote:
    >>> What is a good java ide?
    >>>
    >>> I am looking at JBuilder X and JBuilder Developer 2005 but I don't see
    >>> much of a difference. Same price for a single user even.
    >>>
    >>> Any opinions or other options to explore?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>> Matthew Hanna

    >>I've only used the very early versions of JBuilder so can't really
    >>comment on the latest.
    >>
    >>Until last year our company was using TogetherSoft (now owned by
    >>Borland) which was very good. However, it could not handle the large
    >>code base our product has become. Therefore we changed to Eclipse a year
    >>ago. Its a great IDE - would fully recommend it.
    >>
    >>Might be of interest, Togethersoft was $2500 per seat, Eclipse is free.
    >> but the money was not an issue for us, having an IDE we liked to use
    >>and could handle our code base was the only issue.
    >>
    >>(needless to say our management liked the cost reduction though)

    > Jetbrain's IntelliJ Idea is a great IDE. I've used JBuilder and Eclipse
    > and
    > prefer Idea. But it's not free.
    >
    > Eric

    I started with JBuilder X then tried 2005. I come from Borland Delphi, so
    JBuilder was more familiar. Once I understood the Java development
    framework, I switched to Eclipse and like it better.

    --
    Tom Dyess
    OraclePower.com
    Tom Dyess, Jan 30, 2005
  19. Matthew Hanna

    Drew V Guest

    Last time we met, EricF <> had said:
    > In article <ctgp9b$35o$2surf.net>, wrote:
    > >Matthew Hanna wrote:
    > >> What is a good java ide?
    > >>
    > >> I am looking at JBuilder X and JBuilder Developer 2005 but I don't see
    > >> much of a difference. Same price for a single user even.
    > >>
    > >> Any opinions or other options to explore?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks!
    > >> Matthew Hanna

    > >I've only used the very early versions of JBuilder so can't really
    > >comment on the latest.
    > >
    > >Until last year our company was using TogetherSoft (now owned by
    > >Borland) which was very good. However, it could not handle the large
    > >code base our product has become. Therefore we changed to Eclipse a year
    > >ago. Its a great IDE - would fully recommend it.
    > >
    > >Might be of interest, Togethersoft was $2500 per seat, Eclipse is free.
    > > but the money was not an issue for us, having an IDE we liked to use
    > >and could handle our code base was the only issue.
    > >
    > >(needless to say our management liked the cost reduction though)

    > Jetbrain's IntelliJ Idea is a great IDE. I've used JBuilder and Eclipse and
    > prefer Idea. But it's not free.

    Idea is really nice. When you use it, you can tell they've spent a lot
    of time thinking about the UI.

    dv

    The geographical center of Boston is in Roxbury. Due north of the
    center we find the South End. This is not to be confused with South
    Boston which lies directly east from the South End. North of the South
    End is East Boston and southwest of East Boston is the North End.
    Drew V, Feb 2, 2005