IDE very slow when saving file

Chad A. Beckner

Hi everyone,

Ok, here's the deal. I have a laptop installed with VS 2005. I'm
programming in C#. When I am at home, connected to my LinkSys router, it
saves fine. However, whenever I am anywhere else, it saves very slowly
(takes about 1 minute), on the same file(s). Any ideas?

Thanks!

Chad

Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]

Chad,

I don't see how the fact that it is connecting to a router makes a
difference, unless you are connecting to a network share?

Can you give some more information?

sune

Do you have any network drives or similar set up that would not be
present outside your LinkSys router location?

Chad A. Beckner

I connect my laptop to my network at work also. The only network drive is
one mapped to another computer on my home network. Of course, if I'm not at
home, it can't map the drive. However, the projects don't make any
reference (or include files) from the mapped drive.

Chad

Chad A. Beckner

I agree, it shouldn't make a difference. What kind of information are you
looking for?

Chad

--
- Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]
- (e-mail address removed)

Chad A. Beckner said:
Hi everyone,

Ok, here's the deal. I have a laptop installed with VS 2005. I'm
programming in C#. When I am at home, connected to my LinkSys router, it
saves fine. However, whenever I am anywhere else, it saves very slowly
(takes about 1 minute), on the same file(s). Any ideas?

Thanks!

Chad

Jon Skeet [C# MVP]

Chad A. Beckner said:
I connect my laptop to my network at work also. The only network drive is
one mapped to another computer on my home network. Of course, if I'm not at
home, it can't map the drive. However, the projects don't make any
reference (or include files) from the mapped drive.

It would certainly be worth *trying* unmapping the drive when not
connected to the home network, just to see whether that's the culprit
(even though it shouldn't be).

Ray Cassick \(Home\)

It very well could be the culprit.

Windows does some odd things at that level when accessing disk.

Are you talking about slow times when bringing up the file dialog or just
slow times when you hit the 'save' buttons?