IE6

pageV

I got cable internet recently. The guy who installed it upgraded my
Internet Explorer to 6. Now I can't run applets, when I try I get a window
asking me to download the Java Virtual Machine. I checked the Java plugin
in Control Panel and Internet Explorer is checked. I tried to download the
Java Virtual Machine. It downloaded a file 17K big, then Internet Explorer
said "Your browser understands the applet tag, but isn't running the applet
for some reason. Your browser is completely ignoring the applet tag." Then
it switched to a Microsoft Page that said
"We're sorry, you cannot view this page because it requires the Microsoft
Java Virtual Machine (MSJVM). Your machine does not have the MSJVM
installed. For more information please visit www.microsoft.com/java."
I don't want to install the Microsoft Java Virtual Machine, but I will if
there is no solution. I tried to search on google and yahoo, but they are
both down.
Ralph

pageV

pageV said:
[...]
I explored the Microsoft site. They recommend installing a third party JRE.
I already have the 1.4 JDK and JRE installed. How do I get them to connect
to IE6?
Ralph

Andrew Thompson

I seem to have missed some of the posts
on this thread. I am wondering if he might
have run the unmsvm.exe on that IE 6 ..or if
the unmsvm.exe was run as part of the install.
<http://www.physci.org/jvmclean.jsp>

The way to test it would be to see if you
can run applets that use the Object/Embed
tag rather than applet tags.

I do not have any pages that use O/E tags,
they need the HTMLconverter. Does anybody
have an O/E applet URL handy?

Roedy Green

I do not have any pages that use O/E tags,
they need the HTMLconverter. Does anybody
have an O/E applet URL handy?

That is some of the ugliest work I have ever seen.

Simply on the grounds it is so ugly we should boycott the embed
syntax.

<Applet works fine in all the major browsers once you install a recent
Java. Tell people who refuse to upgrade they don't really need to run
your code hard enough.

Andrew Thompson

<Applet works fine in all the major browsers once you install a recent
Java. Tell people who refuse to upgrade they don't really need to run
your code hard enough.

This is _not_ the case with Win/IE/_unmsvm.exe_
(a very arcane combination) *
<http://www.physci.org/jvmclean.jsp>

In that case, you can have an IE with the
Sun plug-in that will work with O/E tags
( - and yes, I agree completely with your
'ugliest code' comment) but _not_ _applet_
tags.

This is a distinct concern to me since I
refuse to use the O/E tags (I have even
left all my applet pages as HTML
'4.01 transitional' so I can use the
deprecated applet tag)

You and me Roedy, we stick together
and Sun and the W3C will _have_ to
see the error of their ways. ;-)

* This has been mentioned to you a few times
(by word or link) but I am still not sure
if you got the message because you made no
response to the posts (mainly Mickey and myself)
that mentioned it.

If you are now aware of this _recent_
development, could you indicate so?

Roedy Green

(I have even
left all my applet pages as HTML
'4.01 transitional' so I can use the
deprecated applet tag)

Me too.

Object tags are for hooking up some screwball plugin no one has ever
heard of. Java deserves better, especially since <APPLET works just
fine.

Andrew Thompson

Does this exist already or should someone combine stuff Roedy
Green, Andrew Thompson and http://www.javatester.org/ have done? I'd be
glad to toss in code from http://segal.org/java/configuration/ if that
helps.

This has been on my mind too, Mickey..

I am not sure if one single page could
be so well designed to do the myriad of
tests that might require, while still be
useable to 'your average joe/jane'..

Maybe a 'wizard' type arrangement,
using the server to guide the user
from page to page based on the
information gained, configurable by
initial URL for particular diagnostics
[ eg - does this browser use 1.1.4?,
is this a 1.3+ browser?
do applet tags break? ]

I will bookmark your config stuff too..
(and still mulling it over, hoping to
hear other ideas and inspirations)

Andrew Thompson

...Java deserves better, especially since <APPLET works just
fine.

(shakes head sadly) Roedy, you missed
something important in my last post.

NO!