IIS / ASP problem / XP Professional

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Jeremy, Sep 10, 2003.

  1. Jeremy

    Jeremy Guest

    (This has been posted to microsoft.public.inetserver.iis as well - not
    sure which is the better group - thanks for reading)

    IIS installed on XP Professional - just used the add/remove programs
    method and all seemed fine.

    Then I attempted to get to http://localhost and the following happened:
    1) a cookie got set
    2) I was prompted for a username & password (I entered my XP ones)
    3) page displayed
    error '8002801c'
    Error accessing the OLE registry.
    /iisHelp/common/500-100.asp, line 17
    4) in the address line of the browser, display has changed to
    http://localhost/localstart.asp

    the doc tree looks like this:

    c:\inetpub\wwwroot\

    I seem to have two files called localstart.asp -one in the above
    directory and one in the subdirectory _vti_cnf - the content of these
    files when examined using a text editor is vastly different.

    I created a new virtual directory called fred mapped to a physical
    directory c:\inetpub\wwwroot\fred in which I placed a file index.htm
    (containing just a 'hello' line plus obligatory <html> and </html>.

    http://localhost/fred/index.htm then retrives this file just great. I
    renamed the file to index.asp and visited
    http://localhost/fred/index.asp and again the file displayed quite fine.

    With this evidence, can anyone sugest where I might look next?

    --

    jeremy

    --

    jeremy
    Jeremy, Sep 10, 2003

  2. Jeremy

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 22:34:56 +0100, Jeremy
    <> wrote:

    >(This has been posted to microsoft.public.inetserver.iis as well - not
    >sure which is the better group - thanks for reading)

    That one was better, and I answered it there. Try not to post the
    same question in multiple groups, and if you must, at least crosspost
    to the groups so the thread can be across both.

    Jeff
    Jeff Cochran, Sep 11, 2003