  1. Dave Neve

    Dave Neve Guest

    Hi

    I have just installed IIS on my computer as I want to look at asp.dot

    The CD provided by Microsoft at a trade fair says that if IIS is installed
    correctly, then if I type in an explorer

    http://myip
    or
    http://mycomputername,

    then I should get two windows up on the screen.

    But all I get is that the site is unavailable using IE 5.5.

    I have Windows XP with SP1 and SP2 installed.

    My system is tweaked to stop unnecessary services from starting up and I
    have tried going through the list in Administration Systems -Services but I
    haven't managed to solve the problem.

    What is likely to stop IIS from running.

    Thanks in advance

    Dave Neve

    Dave Neve, Oct 26, 2004

  2. Dave Neve

    Tim Slattery Guest

    "Dave Neve" <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I have just installed IIS on my computer as I want to look at asp.dot
    >
    >The CD provided by Microsoft at a trade fair says that if IIS is installed
    >correctly, then if I type in an explorer
    >
    >http://myip
    >or
    >http://mycomputername,
    >
    >then I should get two windows up on the screen.

    Have you tried:

    http://localhost ?

    The browser will try to resolve myip or mycomputername to an IP
    address, using your hosts file then the DNS system. If it can't come
    up with an IP address, it will display a message something like what
    you quote. "localhost" or the loopback IP address 127.0.0.1 should
    work.

    --
    Tim Slattery
    MS MVP(DTS)

    Tim Slattery, Oct 26, 2004

  3. Dave Neve

    Dave Neve Guest

    Hi

    Local host doesn't work either.

    Any ideas please?

    Thanks

    Dave Neve, Oct 27, 2004
  4. Dave Neve

    Hal Rosser Guest

    its likely that you did not 'start' the IIS server.
    right-click on my-computer
    choose 'manage'
    etc
    start the default web site

    "Dave Neve" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I have just installed IIS on my computer as I want to look at asp.dot
    >
    > The CD provided by Microsoft at a trade fair says that if IIS is installed
    > correctly, then if I type in an explorer
    >
    > http://myip
    > or
    > http://mycomputername,
    >
    > then I should get two windows up on the screen.
    >
    > But all I get is that the site is unavailable using IE 5.5.
    >
    > I have Windows XP with SP1 and SP2 installed.
    >
    > My system is tweaked to stop unnecessary services from starting up and I
    > have tried going through the list in Administration Systems -Services but

    > haven't managed to solve the problem.
    >
    > What is likely to stop IIS from running.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Dave Neve

    ---

    Hal Rosser, Oct 27, 2004