IIS ins't running

Dave Neve

Hi

I have just installed IIS on my computer as I want to look at asp.dot

The CD provided by Microsoft at a trade fair says that if IIS is installed
correctly, then if I type in an explorer

http://myip
or
http://mycomputername,

then I should get two windows up on the screen.

But all I get is that the site is unavailable using IE 5.5.

I have Windows XP with SP1 and SP2 installed.

My system is tweaked to stop unnecessary services from starting up and I
have tried going through the list in Administration Systems -Services but I
haven't managed to solve the problem.

What is likely to stop IIS from running.

Thanks in advance

Dave Neve

Tim Slattery

Hi

I have just installed IIS on my computer as I want to look at asp.dot

The CD provided by Microsoft at a trade fair says that if IIS is installed
correctly, then if I type in an explorer

http://myip
or
http://mycomputername,

then I should get two windows up on the screen.

Have you tried:

http://localhost ?

The browser will try to resolve myip or mycomputername to an IP
address, using your hosts file then the DNS system. If it can't come
up with an IP address, it will display a message something like what
you quote. "localhost" or the loopback IP address 127.0.0.1 should
work.

Hal Rosser

its likely that you did not 'start' the IIS server.
right-click on my-computer
choose 'manage'
etc
start the default web site