IIS won't load ASP.NET, "specified metadata not found"

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?TG93ZWxs?=, Nov 18, 2004.

  1. Windows XP SP2 + Symantec AV + VS 2003 with .NET Framework 1.1

    IIS won't load or run existing ASP.NET applications and VS can't create or
    load web projects (HTTP/1.1 500 Server Error).

    Event System log shows a warning with the following attributes: User: N/A,
    Source: W3SVC, Category: None, Event ID: 36, Description: The server failed
    to load application '/LM/W3SVC'. The error was 'The specified metadata was
    not found.'

    I found the MSDN articles for VS 6.0 and when you are trying to run both 1.0
    and 1.1 Frameworks at the same time. Neither appears to apply in this case.
    The mfc42.dll has the correct permissions ("Read & Execute" for
    "IWAM_<Computername>") and I'm not using Framework 1.0 (although there is
    that rump group of four files in the
    <Windir>\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705 directory.

    The company I work for recently had us run some home-grown software to
    "lock-down" our systems--I also had some other issues come up.
    Unfortunately, that made it so I couldn't even load and run web pages that
    had been working for months. Anyway, I've worked through almost everything
    and I think this is the last issue.
    --
    Lowell
    =?Utf-8?B?TG93ZWxs?=, Nov 18, 2004

  2. Try uninstalling and reinstalling IIS. If that doesn't work, there may be
    some tools to rebuild a default metabase.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZUw=?=, Nov 19, 2004

  3. Good try, thanks!

    But, been there, done that. I've also "repaired" the VS installation and
    all it's prerequisites.

    I have managed to get it working on another, somewhat similar system (same
    OS, etc, different hardware) so I could do a copy--if I could figure out what
    needed to get copied. What and where is this "metadata" anyway?

    Thanks!

    Lowell

    =?Utf-8?B?TG93ZWxs?=, Nov 19, 2004
  4. I think it is called the IIS Metabase, which is a set of registry entries.
    Have you tried re-registering asp.net pages in IIS?

    The tool is aspnet_regiis.exe in

    C:\<WindowsFolder\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZUw=?=, Nov 19, 2004
  5. =?Utf-8?B?TG93ZWxs?=

    dkfredrickson

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    Jacksonville, FL
    This Is The Fix

    YOU DO NOT HAVE TO RE-INSTALL

    Run the following three commands from the %windir%
    \system32\inetsrv directory

    rundll32 wamreg.dll, CreateIISPackage
    regsvr32 asptxn.dll
    iisreset /restart
    dkfredrickson, Mar 31, 2009
  6. =?Utf-8?B?TG93ZWxs?=

    WhatIThink

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2008
    Messages:
    9
    Worked like a charm

    Thanks, dkfredrickson. I was having this problem and those steps fixed it immediately. Very helpful.
    WhatIThink, Nov 3, 2010
  7. =?Utf-8?B?TG93ZWxs?=

    ragiramesh

    Joined: