Installing IIS

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Tom Wild, Aug 11, 2003.

  1. Tom Wild

    Tom Wild Guest

    Please excuse me if I'm posting this to the wrong group

    I'm trying to install IIS in Windows XP Professional so I can write a web
    services program in VB.Net

    I have gone into Control Panel then Add/Remove Programs then Add/Remove
    Windows Components and then Checked the Internet Information Services box

    When I hit Next it thinks for a bit and then says:

    Please insert the Compact Disc labeled 'Windows XP Professional Service Pack
    1 CD' into your CD-ROM drive (D:) and then click OK

    I have tried downloading the latest service pack from Microsoft but this
    does not seem to help

    Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

    Thanks

    Tom Wild

    Tom Wild, Aug 11, 2003

  2. Hi

    To install IIS on Windows 2000 or Windows XP

    1.On the Start menu, choose Settings and then choose
    Control Panel. For Windows XP and later, on the Start
    menu, choose Control Panel.
    2.In Control Panel, choose Add/Remove Programs and then
    choose Add/Remove Windows Components.
    3.In the Windows Components Wizard, select Internet
    Information Services (IIS) from the Components list.
    Click Next to begin installation.

    If installation asks for CD, you need to insert
    respective CD in respective Drive.

    Ravikanth[MVP]

    Ravikanth[MVP], Aug 11, 2003

  3. It's asking you for your Operating System installation CD.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    http://www.takempis.com
    Complex things are made up of
    lots of simple things.

    Kevin Spencer, Aug 11, 2003
  4. Tom Wild

    Tom Wild Guest

    Tom Wild, Aug 11, 2003
  5. Tom Wild

    Tom Wild Guest

    Hi Kevin

    Thanks for replying

    I tried giving it the operating system installation CD but that doesn't
    work. In fact if I put in the OS CD one of the options is to install
    optional windows components. If I choose this option it brings up the same
    window you get to from the Add/Remove Programs window. If I try to install
    IIS from there it still asks for the Service Pack 1 CD.

    Regards

    Tom

    Tom Wild, Aug 11, 2003
  6. There are different releases of Operating Systems, and apparently your OS
    was installed using a version that includes Service Pack 1.

    Kevin Spencer, Aug 11, 2003
  7. This might work, I don't know.

    1. Copy the i386 folder from the XP cd to your hard drive (put the
    folder in c:\ for simplicity sakes)
    ..
    2. Download SP1 from:
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/4/f/54f8bcf8-bb4d-4613-8ee7-db69d01735ed/xpsp1a_en_x86.exe
    (125MB file)
    Save to c:\

    3. Open a command prompt (Start>Run>cmd)
    4. Change directories to c:\
    5. enter this command exactly:
    xpsp1a_en_x86.exe -s:c:\i386\

    This will "slip-stream" the Windows XP install files, making it
    equvilant to a retail version of of XP Pro with SP1 pre-installed.

    Now, when you go to add IIS, browse to c:\i386.

    HTH,
    Austin Ehlers

    Austin Ehlers, Aug 11, 2003
  8. Tom Wild