java on Mac

Discussion in 'Java' started by Brzezi, Jan 8, 2006.

  1. Brzezi

    Brzezi Guest

    Hi.

    I`v read a lot of how efficient and in general brilliant is java on Macs on
    apple`s web sites, that its implementation is specially optimized for OS X,
    it works faster and uses less memory, only superlatives, but I know that i
    can`t believe in everything what is written in such advertisments...

    So I have question to you, do you have any experience with Java on Macs?
    What can you say about it? is it good choose?

    I`m asking, because I`m going to change my laptop 15,4" into something
    smaller, and I`m dying for (new)iBook 12", of course I`m not gonna program
    on it all the time, I mean, I`m gonna use it as mobile machine for
    programing...

    thanks for help

    Pozdrawiam
    Brzezi
    --
    [ E-mail: ][ ]
    [ Ekg: #3781111 ][ ]
    [ LinuxUser: #249916 ][ ]
     
    Brzezi, Jan 8, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Brzezi

    Mickey Segal Guest

    "Brzezi" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I`v read a lot of how efficient and in general brilliant is java on Macs
    > on
    > apple`s web sites, that its implementation is specially optimized for OS
    > X,
    > it works faster and uses less memory, only superlatives, but I know that i
    > can`t believe in everything what is written in such advertisments...


    Faster is wrong as far as GUI operations. An example is at
    www.segal.org/java/CanvasTable3/. Apple has fixed a huge number of bugs in
    recent months but the GUI slowness problem is still there.
     
    Mickey Segal, Jan 9, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. For the hardware I've run it on (G3 450MHz, 256mb ram, OS X 10.4.2),
    Apple's JVM performs pretty well in my opinion. I haven't used it a lot
    with GUI apps (I'm keeping that for my 12" powerbook which I am getting
    soon), but I've had some email spam processing work which I've run under
    the Apple JVM and for the system it's managed to work quite well.
     
    Mathew McBride, Jan 9, 2006
    #3
  4. Brzezi

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 8 Jan 2006 23:51:38 GMT, Brzezi <> wrote,
    quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :

    >I`v read a lot of how efficient and in general brilliant is java on Macs on
    >apple`s web sites, that its implementation is specially optimized for OS X,
    >it works faster and uses less memory, only superlatives, but I know that i
    >can`t believe in everything what is written in such advertisments...


    The one big problem is it usually the Mac is substantially behind Sun
    in implementing the new features. Now they are on top of things at JDK
    1.5.0_05.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    http://mindprod.com Java custom programming, consulting and coaching.
     
    Roedy Green, Jan 9, 2006
    #4
  5. In article <>,
    Roedy Green <> wrote:

    > On 8 Jan 2006 23:51:38 GMT, Brzezi <> wrote,
    > quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
    >
    > >I`v read a lot of how efficient and in general brilliant is java on Macs on
    > >apple`s web sites, that its implementation is specially optimized for OS X,
    > >it works faster and uses less memory, only superlatives, but I know that i
    > >can`t believe in everything what is written in such advertisments...

    >
    > The one big problem is it usually the Mac is substantially behind Sun
    > in implementing the new features. Now they are on top of things at JDK
    > 1.5.0_05.


    Unfortunately, that tends to be true. It's also true that Sun is the
    reason for the delays. They don't provide the needed support for Apple
    (and others who must produce their own JVMs) to get them out closer to
    Sun's own schedule. But I believe the 1.5 release came out sooner
    following Sun's than did 1.4 and its later versions, though I might be
    mistaken.
    --
    Steve W. Jackson
    Montgomery, Alabama
     
    Steve W. Jackson, Jan 9, 2006
    #5
  6. In article <>,
    "Mickey Segal" <> wrote:

    > "Brzezi" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > I`v read a lot of how efficient and in general brilliant is java on
    > > Macs on apple`s web sites, that its implementation is specially
    > > optimized for OS X, it works faster and uses less memory, only
    > > superlatives, but I know that i can`t believe in everything what is
    > > written in such advertisments...

    >
    > Faster is wrong as far as GUI operations. An example is at
    > www.segal.org/java/CanvasTable3/. Apple has fixed a huge number of bugs in
    > recent months but the GUI slowness problem is still there.


    And what happens with that example if you do it in Swing instead of AWT?
    --
    Steve W. Jackson
    Montgomery, Alabama
     
    Steve W. Jackson, Jan 9, 2006
    #6
  7. Steve W. Jackson wrote:
    >
    > Unfortunately, that tends to be true. It's also true that Sun is the
    > reason for the delays. They don't provide the needed support for Apple
    > (and others who must produce their own JVMs) to get them out closer to
    > Sun's own schedule. But I believe the 1.5 release came out sooner
    > following Sun's than did 1.4 and its later versions, though I might be
    > mistaken.


    Really? Anyone, not just licensees can get hold of the weekly builds.
    IIRC, Sun used to supply Apple with two on-site engineers. Apple are
    still consistently a year behind in their final releases (IIRC, 1.5.0
    had an early developer-only release).

    Tom Hawtin
    --
    Unemployed English Java programmer
    http://jroller.com/page/tackline/
     
    Thomas Hawtin, Jan 9, 2006
    #7
  8. Brzezi sez:
    ....
    > I`m asking, because I`m going to change my laptop 15,4" into something
    > smaller, and I`m dying for (new)iBook 12", of course I`m not gonna program
    > on it all the time, I mean, I`m gonna use it as mobile machine for
    > programing...


    Well, G4 laptops suck performance-wise compared to similarly priced
    Ferraris. So unless you're getting an Intel-based iBook, Java on it
    is not going to be super fast regardless. (I'm using a 17" PB to code,
    and it could use a faster chip.)

    Dima
    --
    ....the mainstream products of major vendors largely ignore these demonstrated
    technologies... [Instead, their customers] are left with several ineffective
    solutions collected under marketing titles like "defense in depth".
    -- Thirty Years Later: Lessons from the Multics Security Evaluation
     
    Dimitri Maziuk, Jan 10, 2006
    #8
  9. Brzezi

    Guest

    Brzezi wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > I`v read a lot of how efficient and in general brilliant is java on Macs on
    > apple`s web sites, that its implementation is specially optimized for OS X,
    > it works faster and uses less memory, only superlatives, but I know that i
    > can`t believe in everything what is written in such advertisments...


    Yeah, superlatives are superlative.

    However, I have been using netbeans with jdk5 on a Mac Mini (1.24GHz
    G4, 512M RAM) and on a Linux tower with a Sempron 2600 (768M RAM) for
    several months, and the speed of the Mini is not that much slower than
    on the Linux box.

    Netbeans on my five year old iBook (300MHz G3, 192M RAM) tends to
    thrash and crash, but that's not surprising.

    > So I have question to you, do you have any experience with Java on Macs?
    > What can you say about it? is it good choose?


    I like it.

    Can't say anything about the soon-to-be iNTEL Macs, so I won't.

    > I`m asking, because I`m going to change my laptop 15,4" into something
    > smaller, and I`m dying for (new)iBook 12", of course I`m not gonna program
    > on it all the time, I mean, I`m gonna use it as mobile machine for
    > programing...
    >
    > thanks for help
    >
    > Pozdrawiam
    > Brzezi
    > --
    > [ E-mail: ][ ]
    > [ Ekg: #3781111 ][ ]
    > [ LinuxUser: #249916 ][ ]
     
    , Jan 10, 2006
    #9
  10. Brzezi

    Guest

    Thomas Hawtin wrote:
    > Steve W. Jackson wrote:
    > >
    > > Unfortunately, that tends to be true. It's also true that Sun is the
    > > reason for the delays. They don't provide the needed support for Apple
    > > (and others who must produce their own JVMs) to get them out closer to
    > > Sun's own schedule. But I believe the 1.5 release came out sooner
    > > following Sun's than did 1.4 and its later versions, though I might be
    > > mistaken.

    >
    > Really? Anyone, not just licensees can get hold of the weekly builds.
    > IIRC, Sun used to supply Apple with two on-site engineers. Apple are
    > still consistently a year behind in their final releases (IIRC, 1.5.0
    > had an early developer-only release).


    Okay, I'll bite.

    Why, exactly, do we suppose the weekly builds for Sun's java are
    supposed to be magic for Apple's Java? And if the weekly builds for
    Sun's Java are supposed to be all that's necessary to keep pace with
    Sun, why would IBM want to set up development for an independent,
    GPL-ed Java?

    > Tom Hawtin
    > --
    > Unemployed English Java programmer
    > http://jroller.com/page/tackline/
     
    , Jan 10, 2006
    #10
  11. Brzezi

    Mickey Segal Guest

    "Steve W. Jackson" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > And what happens with that example if you do it in Swing instead of AWT?


    I haven't tried to do a similar Swing program. We do most of our code in a
    way that supports the full range of Java browser environments. If someone
    does try with Swing it would be interesting to know of the result.
     
    Mickey Segal, Jan 10, 2006
    #11
  12. In article <>,
    Dimitri Maziuk <dima@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    > Brzezi sez:
    > ...
    > > I`m asking, because I`m going to change my laptop 15,4" into something
    > > smaller, and I`m dying for (new)iBook 12", of course I`m not gonna program
    > > on it all the time, I mean, I`m gonna use it as mobile machine for
    > > programing...

    >
    > Well, G4 laptops suck performance-wise compared to similarly priced
    > Ferraris. So unless you're getting an Intel-based iBook, Java on it
    > is not going to be super fast regardless. (I'm using a 17" PB to code,
    > and it could use a faster chip.)


    On the other hand, the Intel machines will be getting the -server
    compiler, so those who are getting MacBooks might have a much happier
    time.

    Scott

    --
    Scott Ellsworth

    Java and database consulting for the life sciences
     
    Scott Ellsworth, Jan 11, 2006
    #12
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Oliver Hirschi

    Java-Application under Mac OS X

    Oliver Hirschi, Jul 10, 2003, in forum: Java
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    518
    Oliver Hirschi
    Jul 15, 2003
  2. Eric
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    760
  3. Roman =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Bl=F6th?=

    Senseless rendering: Mac.Mozilla != Mac.Netscape6.01 ?!?!

    Roman =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Bl=F6th?=, Jul 2, 2003, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,015
    Steve Pugh
    Jul 2, 2003
  4. mangm
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    765
    mangm
    Dec 1, 2005
  5. K Richard Pixley
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    359
    Ned Deily
    Jan 3, 2012
Loading...

Share This Page