    Whatever happened?

    Thanks,

    -Ramon F Herrera

    Ramon F Herrera, Oct 28, 2006

  2. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=, Oct 28, 2006

  3. Tor Iver Wilhelmsen wrote:
    > Arne Vajhøj <> writes:
    > Together for Java has moved to Eclipse, it seems:
    >
    > http://www.borland.com/downloads/download_together.html
    >
    > However, there is no sign that the other dev tools - like JBuilder -
    > have moved to the platform. Together was a bit of an "outsider"
    > anyway, since that was a product family they bought.

    You did not bother reading the two links I gave ??

    Arne

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=, Oct 28, 2006

    Tor Iver Wilhelmsen, Oct 28, 2006
  5. Ramon F Herrera

    Guest

    Together in Eclipse? Kewl!

    -Cameron McKenzie
    Author of What is WebSphere? www.pulpjava.com

    Free Java Tutorials at www.mcnz.com
    Free SCJA and Java Mock Certification Exams: www.scja.com

    www.cameronmckenzie.com www.technicalfacilitation.com

    Tor Iver Wilhelmsen wrote:
    > Arne Vajhøj <> writes:
    >
    > > I think Borland joined Eclipse and announced that
    > > future JBuilder versions would be based on Eclipse,
    > > but no software has materialized so far.

    > Together for Java has moved to Eclipse, it seems:
    >
    > http://www.borland.com/downloads/download_together.html
    >
    > However, there is no sign that the other dev tools - like JBuilder -
    > have moved to the platform. Together was a bit of an "outsider"
    > anyway, since that was a product family they bought.

    , Oct 29, 2006
  6. Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > A while back, there was some talk or even announcements (?) about
    > JBuilder becoming open source and/or an Eclipsized version of JBuilder
    > being developed.
    >
    > Whatever happened?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > -Ramon F Herrera

    I have several JBuilder projects and am considering converting them to
    Eclipse. How hard/easy is it? The projects are based on Swing.

    Thanks,

    -Ramon

    Ramon F Herrera, Oct 29, 2006
  7. Ramon F Herrera

    IchBin Guest

    Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >> A while back, there was some talk or even announcements (?) about
    >> JBuilder becoming open source and/or an Eclipsized version of JBuilder
    >> being developed.
    >>
    >> Whatever happened?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> -Ramon F Herrera

    > I have several JBuilder projects and am considering converting them to
    > Eclipse. How hard/easy is it? The projects are based on Swing.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > -Ramon

    Not sure if this helps but found this on the internet..

    View as HTML
    http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cach...lipse&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=3&client=mozilla
    or PPT:
    http://bdn1.borland.com/borcon2005files/33205/33205_11111429_S.PPT

    I have only migrated back and forth between Eclipse and Netbeans.

    --
    Thanks in Advance... http://ichbin.9999mb.com
    -William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

    IchBin, Oct 29, 2006
  8. Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    > A while back, there was some talk or even announcements (?) about
    > JBuilder becoming open source and/or an Eclipsized version of JBuilder
    > being developed.
    >
    > Whatever happened?

    Borland is about to do an "Imprise"[1] again. They are bundling all
    their tool development activities, slapping the old brand "Turbo" on the
    tools and try to sell that part of the business. I don't know if they
    have already found a buyer.

    /Thomas

    [1] Imprise was Borland's new company name when they were going
    "Enterprise development". They thought that they don't need individual
    developers as customers any more and "fired" the customers. When that
    strategy failed they renamed back to Borland and tried to convince
    developers to buy Borland tools again.
    --
    The comp.lang.java.gui FAQ:
    http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/faqs/faqs-hierarchy/comp/comp.lang.java.gui/

    Thomas Weidenfeller, Oct 30, 2006
  9. Thomas Weidenfeller wrote:
    > [1] Imprise was Borland's new company name when they were going
    > "Enterprise development". They thought that they don't need individual
    > developers as customers any more and "fired" the customers. When that
    > strategy failed they renamed back to Borland and tried to convince
    > developers to buy Borland tools again.

    s/Imprise/Inprise/

    From what I've read, the people* responsible for the Inprise fiasco are
    keeping the Borland name for their application lifecyle products.

    I'd be happier if the Borland name went with the compiler business. I
    have fond memories of Turbo Pascal 3 and Delphi 2. There was a time when
    an industry leading IDE could be distributed on a floppy diskette
    (remember those?).

    * or their like-minded successors.

    RedGrittyBrick, Oct 30, 2006
  10. RedGrittyBrick wrote:
    > I'd be happier if the Borland name went with the compiler business. I
    > have fond memories of Turbo Pascal 3 and Delphi 2. There was a time when
    > an industry leading IDE could be distributed on a floppy diskette
    > (remember those?).

    I remember Turbo Pascal on CP/M. But these days I consider Borland
    counted out. My guess is their JBuilder will go the way of Symantec
    Cafe. It was nice while it lasted.

    Symantec Cafe is also such a story. Once *the* Java IDE it is now dead
    and forgotten. It was sold with the promise of free upgrades to newer
    versions. Many people who bought it early knew the GUI builder was bad,
    but counted on a free update with a usable GUI editor. When the new
    version with the new GUI editor was ready Symantec renamed the whole
    product to "Visual Cafe", and refused to provide free updates to old
    Cafe users, on the ground that "Visual Cafe" != "Symantec Cafe". They
    lost their user base quickly. Some time later Symantec sold the business
    (they had a great but largely unknown C++ IDE, too). No one talks about
    Cafe since then.

    Ironically, the remains ended up at Borland. After becoming WebGain, the
    product was sold to TogetherSoft. And Borland later bought TogetherSoft.
    They terminated all Cafe products and suggested to upgrade to JBuilder.
    Now JBuilder is about to meet a similar fate.

    /Thomas

    Thomas Weidenfeller, Oct 31, 2006
  11. Ramon F Herrera

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Thomas Weidenfeller wrote:

    > I remember Turbo Pascal on CP/M. But these days I consider Borland
    > counted out. My guess is their JBuilder will go the way of Symantec
    > Cafe. It was nice while it lasted.

    Talking of good, but long dead, Java environments: anyone remember Supercede
    from Asymetrix ? Still the only Java programming environment I've used which
    didn't make me feel as if I were wading though treacle (or worse).

    (I'm almost tempted to see if my old Supercede CD will still install -- it'd be
    interesting to see if I still like it as much now that I've become used to
    Smalltalk environments)

    -- chris

    Chris Uppal, Oct 31, 2006