looking for a good book "java web services"

Frank Ratzlow

Hallo,

I'm looking for a book to get a good start for building web services
using Java. Currently I'm reading "Beginning Java Web services" from
Wrox but this book misses to explain in what context several things
are done.
Could anyone recommend a good book that starts with building some
small things, expands to more complicated scenarios ending up in a
real world example - and always provide some explanation what is done
why (some remarks to the used classes would be cool).
Another thing I'd like to see is some architectural and packaging
info.

Any idea?

TIA

Frank
(e-mail address removed)

Mike Yawn

Frank said:
Hallo,

I'm looking for a book to get a good start for building web services
using Java. Currently I'm reading "Beginning Java Web services" from
Wrox but this book misses to explain in what context several things
are done.
Could anyone recommend a good book that starts with building some
small things, expands to more complicated scenarios ending up in a
real world example - and always provide some explanation what is done
why (some remarks to the used classes would be cool).
Another thing I'd like to see is some architectural and packaging
info.

Any idea?

TIA

Frank
(e-mail address removed)

As a completely biased source, I like "J2EE and JAX". See
http://www.theyawns.com or
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...104-6238954-4770352?v=glance&s=books&n=507846.

The idea is really to show how to leverage code across different
architectures, so web services is just one of the possible ways to
deploy the code (although one of the major focuses of the book). So
application architecture is stressed heavily.

Mike Yawn

tk

I just ordered "java web services in a nutshell". I don't know if my
reasoning was "stupid" but there's quite a few Java Web Service books out
there but what scares me are the 2002 and 2001 dates on them. The "Web
Services in a nutshell" just came out a few months ago so I suspect that may
be a little more up to date. There's also the Java Web Services tutorial
that you can download from Sun's site. It's about 700+ pages in PDF format
if you so choose to print it out :)

Frank Ratzlow

Hi folks,

since a lot of books are not really uptodate I will finish reading
"Beginning Java web services", read some chapters from SUN's ws
tutorial and will additionally buy the book "Developing Java Web
Services", because it seems to be one of the current _and_ good ones
and not mixed up with all the jsp/servlet stuff.

thanx and cheers

Frank