Looking for (X)HTML/CSS valid web sites

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Andrea, Apr 30, 2005.

  1. Andrea

    Andrea Guest

    Hi, I hope not to disturb you in this ng. I am Andrea, the owner and
    webmaster of www.freshcss.com, a web site entirely dedicated to Cascading
    Style Sheets. My site has, among other things, a gallery section, that is a
    showcase of web sites found to be well designed, beautiful and valid
    according to the latest web standards.

    Unfortunately, I am discovering that it's very hard to find beautiful and,
    at the same time, HTML/XHTML+CSS valid web sites! Too many web agencies/web
    designers doesn't care about validation and web standards. So, for me,
    looking for valid web sites is similar to looking for a needle in a
    haystack!!!

    If you own or simply know some valid web sites, you are welcome to submit
    them to FreshCSS. My site is growing and I would like to find more
    interesting sites for the following months.

    Thanks. ;)

    --
    Andrea - FreshCSS
    http://www.freshcss.com
    Andrea, Apr 30, 2005

  2. On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 12:26:16 GMT, Andrea wrote:

    >Unfortunately, I am discovering that it's very hard to find beautiful and,
    >at the same time, HTML/XHTML+CSS valid web sites! Too many web agencies/web

    not sure if my site qualifies as "beautiful" but it qualifies as valid
    XHTML 1.0 Strict

    http://www.lernpilot.de/wbt/

    Marian

    --
    Online Lernen (auch fuer Blinde geeignet): HTML, PHP, MySQL, Word
    http://www.lernpilot.de/wbt/
    Marian Heddesheimer, Apr 30, 2005

  3. "Andrea" <> skrev i melding
    > Hi, I hope not to disturb you in this ng. I am Andrea, the owner and
    > webmaster of www.freshcss.com, a web site entirely dedicated to Cascading
    > Style Sheets. My site has, among other things, a gallery section, that is

    > showcase of web sites found to be well designed, beautiful and valid
    > according to the latest web standards.
    >
    > Unfortunately, I am discovering that it's very hard to find beautiful and,
    > at the same time, HTML/XHTML+CSS valid web sites! Too many web

    agencies/web
    > designers doesn't care about validation and web standards. So, for me,
    > looking for valid web sites is similar to looking for a needle in a
    > haystack!!!
    >
    > If you own or simply know some valid web sites, you are welcome to submit
    > them to FreshCSS. My site is growing and I would like to find more
    > interesting sites for the following months.

    Sure, why not? These are mine, all mine. You'll be the judge of what's
    "beautiful" in your eyes.
    http://www.kimandre.com/
    http://www.neonnero.com/

    Two gems from my point of view, both 100% valid XHTML 1.0 and CSS.

    --
    Kim André Akerø
    -
    Kim André Akerø, Apr 30, 2005
  4. Marian Heddesheimer wrote:
    >>Unfortunately, I am discovering that it's very hard to find beautiful and,
    >>at the same time, HTML/XHTML+CSS valid web sites! Too many web agencies/web

    > not sure if my site qualifies as "beautiful" but it qualifies as valid
    > XHTML 1.0 Strict
    > http://www.lernpilot.de/wbt/

    Bland and boxy. Just most validating sites.

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Apr 30, 2005
  5. Kim André Akerø wrote:
    > Sure, why not? These are mine, all mine. You'll be the judge of what's
    > "beautiful" in your eyes.
    > http://www.kimandre.com/

    Not beautiful, but interesting look.

    > http://www.neonnero.com/

    Bland and boxy like most others.

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Apr 30, 2005
  6. "Travis Newbury" <> skrev i melding
    > Kim André Akerø wrote:
    > > Sure, why not? These are mine, all mine. You'll be the judge of what's
    > > "beautiful" in your eyes.
    > > http://www.kimandre.com/

    > Not beautiful, but interesting look.
    >
    > > http://www.neonnero.com/

    > Bland and boxy like most others.

    Okay, mr. Know-It-All.. Let's see yours, then.

    --
    Kim André Akerø
    -
    Kim André Akerø, Apr 30, 2005
  7. Kim André Akerø wrote:
    >>>http://www.kimandre.com/

    >>Not beautiful, but interesting look.
    >>>http://www.neonnero.com/

    >>Bland and boxy like most others.

    > Okay, mr. Know-It-All.. Let's see yours, then.

    I don't make websites. I make web applications, and NONE of then even
    come close to validating (Nor do they have to). But having a site is
    not a prerequisite for having an "opinion". You asked an "opinion"
    question. I gave you my "opinion" If you don't want my "opinion" then
    don't ask for it. If you want me to lie and tell you what you want to
    hear, then ask me to do that.

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Apr 30, 2005
  8. Andrea

    Kevin Scholl Guest

    Eh, why not? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose, but can't
    hurt to get others' opinions. Here's a couple...

    http://www.ksscholl.com/home.shtml
    http://www.teamvinci.com/

    Andrea wrote:
    > Hi, I hope not to disturb you in this ng. I am Andrea, the owner and
    > webmaster of www.freshcss.com, a web site entirely dedicated to Cascading
    > Style Sheets. My site has, among other things, a gallery section, that is a
    > showcase of web sites found to be well designed, beautiful and valid
    > according to the latest web standards.
    >
    > Unfortunately, I am discovering that it's very hard to find beautiful and,
    > at the same time, HTML/XHTML+CSS valid web sites! Too many web agencies/web
    > designers doesn't care about validation and web standards. So, for me,
    > looking for valid web sites is similar to looking for a needle in a
    > haystack!!!
    >
    > If you own or simply know some valid web sites, you are welcome to submit
    > them to FreshCSS. My site is growing and I would like to find more
    > interesting sites for the following months.
    >
    > Thanks. ;)

    Kevin Scholl http://www.ksscholl.com/

    Information Architecture, Web Design and Development
    We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of
    the dreams...
    Kevin Scholl, May 1, 2005
  9. Andrea

    kchayka Guest

    Andrea wrote:

    > www.freshcss.com

    Every time I see one of those "pick a text size" things on a web site I
    cringe. FYI, your idea of "large" text and mine aren't anywhere near
    each other.

    If you had researched the subject of CSS font-size units, you would have
    found that pt units are not suitable for screen display (nor is px). If
    you use % units instead, you won't even need a font-size picker,
    assuming you leave body text at the visitor's default 100%.

    During your travels through this ng's archives, you might also have found:
    <URL:http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign>

    > My site has, among other things, a gallery section, that is a
    > showcase of web sites found to be well designed, beautiful and valid
    > according to the latest web standards.

    Well designed must be in the eye of the beholder. :-\ Or is it a
    prerequisite for "good" design to have unreadable text (microfonts
    and/or low-contrasting colors) and a fixed-width layout?

    kchayka, May 1, 2005
  10. Andrea

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Andrea"
    <> writing in

    I liked http://www.rosettacaravanpark.co.uk

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
    Adrienne, May 2, 2005
  11. Andrea

    Els Guest

    Els, May 2, 2005
  12. Adrienne wrote:
    > I liked http://www.rosettacaravanpark.co.uk

    Nice site, but it still falls into the "plane and boxy" look and feel.
    The problem is not CSS for design, the problem is that the people that
    know CSS are not designers they are techies. When the designers
    eventually take hold of CSS this will change.

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, May 2, 2005
  13. Andrea

    Els Guest

    Travis Newbury wrote:

    > Nice site, but it still falls into the "plane and boxy" look and feel.
    > The problem is not CSS for design, the problem is that the people that
    > know CSS are not designers they are techies. When the designers
    > eventually take hold of CSS this will change.

    To be honest, I think most table layout designs have the same 'boxy'
    look. Maybe you can give some examples of non-boxy designs, even if
    they're table layout?

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, May 2, 2005
  14. Andrea

    Andrea Guest

    "Travis Newbury" <> wrote
    > Nice site, but it still falls into the "plane and boxy" look and feel.
    > The problem is not CSS for design, the problem is that the people that
    > know CSS are not designers they are techies. When the designers
    > eventually take hold of CSS this will change.

    Where is the problem?? www.rosettacaravanpark.co.uk looks well (surely
    better than other sites I viewed recently and made by so called
    "professionists" ;) !) and respects also XHTML and CSS specifications.

    The question is not if one is a designer or a techie!
    Andrea, May 2, 2005
  15. Andrea

    Andrea Guest

    "Els" <> wrote
    > Andrea, you have a little problem on your site:
    > http://locusmeus.com/html-css/pageslipping.html

    Are you sure???? I use Mozilla 1.7.x and Firefox 1.0.x on a Win2k for my
    tests and I can assure you that there are no problems shrinking the window!
    If I load FreshCSS on these browsers and then I shrink the window (for
    example at only 300x400 pixels) there are no strange effects and I can move
    normally into the site using horizontal/vertical scrollbars. So, for me is
    ok.

    If you have found some very specific/particular/strange case, send me a
    screenshot through email, specifing the O.S./browser versions. You can email
    me removing uppercase letters and hyphens from my email address.
    Andrea, May 2, 2005
  16. Andrea

    Els Guest

    Andrea wrote:

    > "Els" <> wrote
    >> Andrea, you have a little problem on your site:
    >> http://locusmeus.com/html-css/pageslipping.html

    > Are you sure???? I use Mozilla 1.7.x and Firefox 1.0.x on a Win2k for my
    > tests and I can assure you that there are no problems shrinking the window!

    Yes, I'm sure. As I state on my site, Firefox 1.0 and higher don't
    show that problem. I was looking at your pages in Firebird 0.6.

    > If I load FreshCSS on these browsers and then I shrink the window (for
    > example at only 300x400 pixels) there are no strange effects and I can move
    > normally into the site using horizontal/vertical scrollbars. So, for me is
    > ok.

    Unfortunately for your visitors, they are not you :)

    > If you have found some very specific/particular/strange case, send me a
    > screenshot through email,

    Ask in group, get answer in group:
    http://locusmeus.com/temp/freshcss.png

    > specifing the O.S./browser versions.

    WinXP Home, Firebird 0.6, but without looking, I can say it's the same
    for Netscape and Mozilla, although I admittedly haven't got Mozilla
    1.7.x, so maybe the problem is solved in that version already.

    > You can email
    > me removing uppercase letters and hyphens from my email address.

    I have no intention of emailing you about this :)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, May 2, 2005
  17. Andrea

    Andrea Guest

    "Els" <> wrote
    > Ask in group, get answer in group:
    > http://locusmeus.com/temp/freshcss.png

    Ahhhh ... ok ... I have viewed! You have reason. ;)

    > WinXP Home, Firebird 0.6, but without looking, I can say it's the same
    > for Netscape and Mozilla, although I admittedly haven't got Mozilla
    > 1.7.x, so maybe the problem is solved in that version already.

    But note that you are speaking about a "prehistoric" browser! ;)

    > I have no intention of emailing you about this :)

    No problem, thanks the same! :)
    Andrea, May 2, 2005
  18. Andrea

    Els Guest

    Andrea wrote:

    > "Els" <> wrote
    >> Ask in group, get answer in group:
    >> http://locusmeus.com/temp/freshcss.png

    > Ahhhh ... ok ... I have viewed! You have reason. ;)
    >
    >> WinXP Home, Firebird 0.6, but without looking, I can say it's the same
    >> for Netscape and Mozilla, although I admittedly haven't got Mozilla
    >> 1.7.x, so maybe the problem is solved in that version already.

    > But note that you are speaking about a "prehistoric" browser! ;)

    I know - I also use Firefox 1.0, but I use Firebird 0.6 especially so
    I notice problems that other people on "prehistoric" browsers will see
    :)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, May 2, 2005
  19. Andrea

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Andrea wrote:
    > Els wrote:
    >
    >> WinXP Home, Firebird 0.6

    > But note that you are speaking about a "prehistoric" browser! ;)

    But note that Firebird 0.6 was released about 1 month after Netscape 7.1,
    so uses a very similar version of the rendering engine Gecko. Any problems
    in Firebird 0.6.x will probably be found in Netscape 7.1 as well.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, May 2, 2005
  20. Els wrote:
    > Travis Newbury wrote:
    > > Nice site, but it still falls into the "plane and boxy" look and

    feel.
    > > The problem is not CSS for design, the problem is that the people

    that
    > > know CSS are not designers they are techies. When the designers
    > > eventually take hold of CSS this will change.

    > To be honest, I think most table layout designs have the same 'boxy'
    > look. Maybe you can give some examples of non-boxy designs, even if
    > they're table layout?

    www.tbs.com and compare that to the site in your signiture.
    http://locusmeus.com

    I prefer the TBS site hands down in both looks and style. Remeber,
    this is an opinion, yours may differ. But I feel the TBS look is what
    I consider "finished" Your site while it might be accessible to all
    ,and validate or whatever, doesn not have the same "finished"
    porfessional look.

    Could it be done with CSS, sure it could. But it isn't because the
    designers have not taken a hold of CSS yet. Maybe someday they will.

    YMMV

    ps. Cute kid

    --
    -=tn=-