    Any information or hints are greatly apprecaited.

    Regards,

    Chris Frohlich

    ChrisFrohlich, Jul 7, 2006

  2. But if the average user takes 20 seconds to think and make an entry in each
    textbox then a 1200-textbox-form can conceptually take up to 6 hrs to
    complete.

    I would consider the Use Cases more carefully such as to display on each
    form only a subset of those entry boxes (based on a set of conditions) and
    that a form should not take from an average user to complete more than the
    session time out value.

    --
    HTH,
    Phillip Williams

    Phillip Williams, Jul 7, 2006

  3. Phillip,

    Good point, and one I raised to the architect, but as he explained:

    --Although the user will have the option to update up to all 1200 tb's, in
    almost all cases, they would only need to provide data for ~25-50 in a
    session, and the page provides update capability for a data set rather than
    performing an insert.

    --The additional textboxes are provided/populated for context, as well as to
    give the user the option to provide further information if it is readily
    available.

    --Data being enterred into the form is all financial figures which have been
    computed previously, and are essentially being reported such that the bulk of
    the user's effort is simple data entry.

    As I said, a very valid question, and the form may wind up sub-divided
    ultimately, but my primary concern at this point are system/framework
    limitations.

    Thanks again,

    Chris

    ChrisFrohlich, Jul 7, 2006
  4. Hi Chris,

    There is no limit on the number of controls to use on one page. In your
    situation, you probably need to run a few prototypes to test the performance
    of retrieving and displaying your particular data.

    For example, if you add a repeater on a form and bind it to datatable that
    contains 1200 records of decimal data, you would get a light page that is
    only 143 KB in size.

    tbl= new DataTable ();
    DataColumn dc = new DataColumn ();
    tbl.Columns.Add(new DataColumn ("Field1", typeof(Decimal)));
    for (int i=0;i<1200;i++)
    {
    DataRow dr = tbl.NewRow() ;
    dr["Field1"] = (i%50)*50;
    tbl.Rows.Add(dr);
    }
    rptTest.DataSource=tbl;
    rptTest.DataBind();

    HTH,
    Phillip Williams
    http://www.societopia.net
    http://www.webswapp.com

    Phillip Williams, Jul 7, 2006
  5. ChrisFrohlich

    Bob Lehmann Guest

    Your "architect" needs to find a new line of work. Perhaps something more
    suited to idiots.

    So, your users only need to find 25-30 items out of 1200, and that's
    acceptable to him? Nice!

    Bob Lehmann

    Bob Lehmann, Jul 8, 2006