Menu

Luigi Donatello Asero

dorayme said:
Luigi, I am getting desperate now. What would you accept? I want full
disclosure of everything. When a man has something to hide, I want to know
what it is and am prepared to pay...

dorayme

To pay?
Why?
How much?

Luigi Donatello Asero

Michael Winter said:
"Oli Filth" <[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet

[snip]
Use the same <?php include "menu.html"; ?> line in every page.

This sounds interesting but it seems to have some disadvantages:

1) How could I include different menus this way?
I would need at least a different menu for each language.
2) How do I evidentiate the button which is referred to the link of the page
in question? That should change for every page!

Els

Luigi said:
Michael Winter said:
"Oli Filth" <[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet

[snip]

Use the same <?php include "menu.html"; ?> line in every page.

This sounds interesting but it seems to have some disadvantages:

1) How could I include different menus this way?
I would need at least a different menu for each language.

Aren't your files divided into different language folders? Well, have
a menu.html in each language folder, and make the path relative.
2) How do I evidentiate the button which is referred to the link of the page
in question? That should change for every page!

<a <? if ($PHP_SELF=="/index.html") {print
('class="current"');}else{print ('href="/"');} ?>>home</a>

I'm sure this can be done in a more elegant fashion, but it works.
(if anyone can tell me /how/ it can be done more elegant for a list of
links, please do tell :) )

Luigi Donatello Asero

Els said:
Luigi said:
Michael Winter said:
On 06/06/2005 22:28, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

"Oli Filth" <[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet

[snip]

Use the same <?php include "menu.html"; ?> line in every page.

This sounds interesting but it seems to have some disadvantages:

1) How could I include different menus this way?
I would need at least a different menu for each language.

Aren't your files divided into different language folders? Well, have
a menu.html in each language folder, and make the path relative.
2) How do I evidentiate the button which is referred to the link of the page
in question? That should change for every page!

<a <? if ($PHP_SELF=="/index.html") {print
('class="current"');}else{print ('href="/"');} ?>>home</a>

I'm sure this can be done in a more elegant fashion, but it works.
(if anyone can tell me /how/ it can be done more elegant for a list of
links, please do tell :) )

Ok. I can test it later.

Steve Pugh

Luigi said:
I had a look at that page.
But it was not the kind of information which I was looking for.

But it might very well be the kind of information you need. How can you
start designing and implementing a site map before you understand why
and how users use site maps?

Anyway, could you please spell out what kind of information you are
looking for? I've read most of this 100 post thread and I can't recall
seeing anything really specific.

Are you interested in the information architecture aspects of site
maps? (Which links should be included and which should be excluded? How
should the links be grouped?)

Or the design aspects of site maps? (What should a site map look like?)

Or the technical aspects of a site map? (What HTML markup is
appropriate? How can you dynamically generate the links rather than
hard coding them?)

The answers to the design and technical questions very much depend on
the answers to the information architecture questions. So either ask
the IA questions you need answers or tell us what you've already
decided about the IA so that we can give you informed answers to the
design and technical questions.

Steve

Luigi Donatello Asero

Steve Pugh said:
But it might very well be the kind of information you need. How can you
start designing and implementing a site map before you understand why
and how users use site maps?

Anyway, could you please spell out what kind of information you are
looking for? I've read most of this 100 post thread and I can't recall
seeing anything really specific.

Please read below
Are you interested in the information architecture aspects of site
maps? (Which links should be included and which should be excluded? How
should the links be grouped?)

Or the design aspects of site maps? (What should a site map look like?) Above all this one
Or the technical aspects of a site map? (What HTML markup is
appropriate? How can you dynamically generate the links rather than
hard coding them?)

This one to some extent.

Steve Pugh

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
"Steve Pugh" <[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet

Above all this one

This one to some extent.

And then you snipped my last paragraph:

"The answers to the design and technical questions very much depend on
the answers to the information architecture questions. So either ask
the IA questions you need answers or tell us what you've already
decided about the IA so that we can give you informed answers to the
design and technical questions."

So tell us your Information Architecture and we may be able to help
you with your design and technival issues.

Steve

Luigi Donatello Asero

Steve Pugh said:
"The answers to the design and technical questions very much depend on
the answers to the information architecture questions. So either ask
the IA questions you need answers or tell us what you've already
decided about the IA so that we can give you informed answers to the
design and technical questions."

So tell us your Information Architecture and we may be able to help
you with your design and technival issues.

Steve

If you think that this is necessary, I prefer to search about design
questions myself.

Steve Pugh

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
If you think that this is necessary, I prefer to search about design
questions myself.

Fine, if you think that telling us how many links you want on your
site map is some great secret then I think you will be much better off
working entirely on your own.

Steve

Luigi Donatello Asero

Steve Pugh said:
Fine, if you think that telling us how many links you want on your
site map is some great secret then I think you will be much better off
working entirely on your own.

Steve

I do not read only your posts and information only in this NG....and there
are people who answer very specifically to questions
but if it is only the number of the links you wanted to know, I would say
about 50 for each language because I do not think that I would need write
all the links of the site on the site map but just the main ones. A site map
with 2000 links or even much more would probably be confusing.

dorayme

From: "Luigi Donatello Asero said:
To pay?
Why?
How much?
From an initial puzzlement to a bit of interest eh? Ah, a businessman! How
can I set a price when I have no idea what it is I am buying? The correct
thing is for you to set one...

dorayme

Luigi Donatello Asero

dorayme said:
From an initial puzzlement to a bit of interest eh? Ah, a businessman! How
can I set a price when I have no idea what it is I am buying? The correct
thing is for you to set one...

dorayme

I would find it strange that a private person could be interested in buying
such "secrets"....
So, I am wondering whether you have a company, instead.

dorayme

From: "Luigi Donatello Asero said:
I would find it strange that a private person could be interested in buying
such "secrets"....
So, I am wondering whether you have a company, instead

I feel bad now! I was just kidding (joking with) you. You seem to be getting
a lot of stick (nearly "criticism") from everyone... it occurs to me that
some of the confusion may be down to language problems. You may be seeing
things in what others say that are not meant to be there. Why not put it
down as that and leave it be? There is a component of courage in your...
er... resoluteness ... and this is to be admired. The only advice i can give
you generally is to not take on in your website more than you can chew. Try
to do everything in a simple way and think hard whether your business needs
any fancy thing that is causing you so much trouble.

Anyway, I am bowing out of this thread and best of luck to you...

dorayme

Luigi Donatello Asero

dorayme said:
I feel bad now! I was just kidding (joking with) you.

So, what?

You seem to be getting
a lot of stick (nearly "criticism") from everyone...

I am used to that. It is normal to get it if one accepts freedom of speech.

it occurs to me that
some of the confusion may be down to language problems. You may be seeing
things in what others say that are not meant to be there.

Or may-be I think that they are saying some of the things for other reasons
than the ones they mention...

Daniel R. Tobias

Steve said:
But it might very well be the kind of information you need.

Like the song goes... "You can't always get what you want. But if you
try sometimes well you just might find you get what you need."

Another bit of (probably unwanted) advice; for the multiple-language
versions, you might want to look into language negotiation:

http://webtips.dan.info/language.html

Toby Inkster

Luigi said:
This sounds interesting but it seems to have some disadvantages:
1) How could I include different menus this way?
I would need at least a different menu for each language.

<?php include "menu.php" ?>

where menu.php says:

<ul>
<?php
# what language are we using?
if ($_COOKIE['language'])
{ $lang = $_COOKIE['language']; }
elseif ($_SERVER['HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE'])
{ $lang = substr($_SERVER['HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE'],0,2); }
else
{ $lang = 'en'; }

# if german, do german menu
if ($lang=='de')
{
}
# if french, do french menu
elseif ($lang=='fr')
{
}
# otherwise, english
else
{
}

# whatever language, off the choice to change language:
?>
</ul>

Toby Inkster

Luigi said:
Yes, it does. But does it not have any disadvantages?
What about bookmarking the pages?

Luigi, you clearly have no idea what PHP even *is* if you're asking this!