most important features of 1.6

iksrazal

Roedy Green escreveu:
I am working on the http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jdk.html entry that
lists the major differences between the various JDK versions. What do
you consider the major features coming in 1.6?

Pretty lackluster feature list compared to 1.4 and 1.5 don't you
think? The one interesting one for me is:

http://download.java.net/jdk6/docs/api/java/io/Console.html

Pretty weak compared to nio and java.util.concurrent though :-( .

Robert
http://www.braziloutsource.com/

Chris Uppal

Pretty lackluster feature list compared to 1.4 and 1.5 don't you
think? The one interesting one for me is:

Seems to be mostly bug-fixes, gap-filling, and performance tweaks rather than a
load of new
features.

And thank God for that say I.

-- chris

VisionSet

Chris Uppal said:
Seems to be mostly bug-fixes, gap-filling, and performance tweaks rather than a
load of new
features.

And thank God for that say I.

Just a pitty they didn't go for a hefty chunk of deprecation too. (or have
they?)

Roedy Green

Seems to be mostly bug-fixes, gap-filling, and performance tweaks rather than a
load of new
features.

And thank God for that say

Microsoft did that. Odd releases introduced new features. even ones
cleaned up.

Mark Thornton

Roedy said:
I am working on the http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jdk.html entry that
lists the major differences between the various JDK versions. What do
you consider the major features coming in 1.6?

The most important additions are probably in the desktop/gui features
(including enhancements to Swing). There were comparatively few changes
in this area in 1.5.

Mark Thornton

opalpa

Pretty lackluster feature list compared to 1.4 and 1.5 don't you
think? The one interesting one for me is:

That's the plan. The language spec got stable with 5.0 and with 6.0
everything will be verified to behave same across platforms, in
particular swing.

Opalinski
(e-mail address removed)
http://www.geocities.com/opalpaweb/

Stefan Ram

Mark Thornton said:
The most important additions are probably in the desktop/gui features
(including enhancements to Swing). There were comparatively few changes
in this area in 1.5.

The only thing that came to my mind when reading Roedy's
question was: »no more gray rectangle«.

The Dolphin project (Java 1.7) already seems to have a URI.

https://dolphin.dev.java.net/

Thomas Hawtin

Roedy said:
I am working on the http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jdk.html entry that
lists the major differences between the various JDK versions. What do
you consider the major features coming in 1.6?

1.6 has some of my code in it. That might be a little egocentric.

My favourite change made in the mustang beta1 branch, was this:

$ diff b59/hotspot/src/cpu/i486/vm/globals_i486.hpp
beta1/hotspot/src/cpu/i486/vm/globals_i486.hpp
2c2
< #pragma ident "@(#)globals_i486.hpp 1.38 05/06/09 15:43:31 JVM"
---
#pragma ident "@(#)globals_i486.hpp 1.39 05/10/28 13:36:23 JVM"
38c38
< define_pd_global(uintx, NewSize, 640 * K);
---
define_pd_global(uintx, NewSize, 1024 * K);

Tom Hawtin

Roedy Green

My favourite change made in the mustang beta1 branch, was this:

$ diff b59/hotspot/src/cpu/i486/vm/globals_i486.hpp
beta1/hotspot/src/cpu/i486/vm/globals_i486.hpp
2c2
< #pragma ident "@(#)globals_i486.hpp 1.38 05/06/09 15:43:31 JVM"

And in English that means...

Chris Uppal

Very clean, elegant, code Tom. You have every right to be proud.

BTW, is there any magic about the 1024 figure, or is the size just bumped up on
the "bigger is better (if you can afford it)" principle.

-- chris

Chris Uppal

640K is 640 thousand bytes or
bits or words or something else? What is the property being used for?

According to the source:

"size of new generation (in bytes)"

Not much help, I know, but it might stop you byteing your nails until Tom owns
up ;-)

-- chris

Thomas Hawtin

Chris said:
Very clean, elegant, code Tom. You have every right to be proud.

I should have made it clear that the two parts of my post were
unrelated. Not my code, I'm afraid.
BTW, is there any magic about the 1024 figure, or is the size just bumped up on
the "bigger is better (if you can afford it)" principle.

What's magic is that 640K wasn't enough. There is a somewhat famous
fictional quote attribute to Bill Gates saying that 640K is enough for
anyone. This apparently was one of the few things absolutely necessary
over months of testing to make a mustang weekly snapshot into the beta.

FWIW, it appears to be the minimum size of the eden generation on i486
(it's around 2 megs on AMD64, Itanium and SPARC).

Tom Hawtin

Mike Schilling

My favourite change made in the mustang beta1 branch, was this:

$ diff b59/hotspot/src/cpu/i486/vm/globals_i486.hpp
beta1/hotspot/src/cpu/i486/vm/globals_i486.hpp
2c2
< #pragma ident "@(#)globals_i486.hpp 1.38 05/06/09 15:43:31 JVM"

Gotta love uncommented magic numbers.

lewmania942

$ diff b59/hotspot/src/cpu/i486/vm/globals_i486.hpp
beta1/hotspot/src/cpu/i486/vm/globals_i486.hpp
2c2
< #pragma ident "@(#)globals_i486.hpp 1.38 05/06/09 15:43:31 JVM"

Thomas,

that's a good one... And some people got it without reading
your explanations ;)