MSAccess problems

Annick Van Hoof

Hi,

I'm having my ASP.NET application hosted at a Windows 2003 server (IIS6).
This works almost all the time (I have uptimes of 100% on most days), but
then all of a sudden a few days in a row I have the following phenomenon:

..aspx still get processed, but as soon as any of them try to read/write to a
MsAccess database (using DSNLess OleDBConnection) it's timing out.

This happens for a period of about 40 minutes and then all of a sudden
everything starts working again without any user intervention.

Has anyone had the same problems ?

Thanks,

Wim

Kevin Spencer

Access is not designed for Internet use. It is designed as a desktop/LAN
database. However, ANY OLE DB-compliant database can be used in an ASP.Net
application. The upside is cost; an .mdb database is free of licensing fees.
The downside is performance. You may have too many concurrent users for
Access to handle at times. Check your web server logs to see if there is a
correspondence of heavy traffic to these errors.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

WL

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your reply: you are absolutely right that a (MS) SQL Server is a
lot beter.
However, the problem occurs on a server that is not really used by the
public. I have a Alertra (uptime checker) account running every 10 minutes
(and that's it).
So concurrent user would not be the problem.

Moreover, when a timeout occurs on one Access databases: all other ASP.NET
pages that are even using other MsAccess files are timing out.
It just seems as if there's a problem with the OleDbConnection.

Can OleDb do connectionpoolin on MsAccess connections ? If so: this might be
a problem ?

Thanks,

Wim

Kevin Spencer

Can OleDb do connectionpoolin on MsAccess connections ? If so: this might
be
a problem ?

You got me there, WL. I haven't used Access in a web app in years. Have you
tried searching the Knowledge Base?

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer