.NET Reporting against Oracle.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Datagrid Control' started by Larry Dooley, May 7, 2006.

  1. Larry Dooley

    Larry Dooley Guest

    Here's my issue. We've decided to replace a very critical (without it
    the business would lose lots of money) departmental reporting system
    with a built from scratch system based on .NET. The key component is a
    datagrid (it really turned the CIO's head).

    The issue is that the data source is Oracle. We've got a very complex
    reporting system that produces dynamic sql and sends it to oracle and
    takes back the result set and displays it. Each report has at least 3
    filters and some more than a dozen. Each filter can either be a single
    item, a list of 1 to N items or left blank. The idea is to push this
    into Oracle stored procedures and get back a refcursor. The
    filters/parameters effect not only the where clause, but can effect the
    select clause, the from clause (what tables are queried) and when either
    the from clause or select clause are effected the group by clause is
    effected. This is a complex database (not large by data wharehouse
    standards) with indexes and structure that are not friendly to
    reporting. Speed of the reports is a critical issue. It's something
    we've fought pretty sucessfully in the old system.

    We've also got to have a batch component. That is a number of reports
    need to run overnight and be available first thing in the morning. This
    can't be just a single job that runs a bunch of reports. We need each
    report to run separately. Oh and it needs to not start before certain
    jobs are finished on the Oracle database.

    Oh we've got a schedule of six months - nine months max and the clock is
    ticking.

    For the first issue. Has anyone done something similar. If so any key
    problems with this (forget buy crystal, cognos etc. It's not cost they
    are rounding error in our bottom line, but that decision is pretty set
    also forget a data wharehouse - no time)

    Second issue - does anyone know a good scheduler that will integrate
    well with a .NET solution.

    Thanks in advance.

    Larry Dooley, May 7, 2006