    save money ?

    Thanks to all

    Patrick

    Patrick, Aug 18, 2003

  2. Patrick

    Fox Guest

    Save yourself some money... JS:TDG was basically a rewriting of the
    following documentation:

    Download:
    http://developer.netscape.com/docs/manuals/js/client/jsguide/ClientGuideJS13.zip
    http://developer.netscape.com/docs/manuals/js/client/jsref/ClientReferenceJS13.zip

    unzip them to a convenient directory and bookmark their index pages.
    It's the best guide/reference to core JavaScript.

    Then catch up with the rest here (basically, DOM interaction) on the ng
    or other online resources... once you get the basics down - the rest is
    pretty easy.

    I bought JSTDG -- looked at it ... oh, maybe twice -- you can't even
    tell the binding has been bent. It may very well be the best book on JS
    "out there," (and I wouldn't argue) but it doesn't have anything in it
    particularly special to make it worth the money that you don't already
    have easy access to for free.

    Fox, Aug 18, 2003

  3. Hi,

    Fox wrote:
    > Save yourself some money... JS:TDG was basically a rewriting of the
    > following documentation:
    >
    > Download:
    > http://developer.netscape.com/docs/manuals/js/client/jsguide/ClientGuideJS13.zip
    > http://developer.netscape.com/docs/manuals/js/client/jsref/ClientReferenceJS13.zip
    >
    > unzip them to a convenient directory and bookmark their index pages.
    > It's the best guide/reference to core JavaScript.
    >
    > Then catch up with the rest here (basically, DOM interaction) on the ng
    > or other online resources... once you get the basics down - the rest is
    > pretty easy.
    >
    > I bought JSTDG -- looked at it ... oh, maybe twice -- you can't even
    > tell the binding has been bent. It may very well be the best book on JS
    > "out there," (and I wouldn't argue) but it doesn't have anything in it
    > particularly special to make it worth the money that you don't already
    > have easy access to for free.

    While I use the Netscape doc a lot, I disagree that the definitive guide
    is a rewriting of it. Maybe you're talking about the 3rd edition, though
    even this one is more complete, IMHO, than the Netscape doc (it's less
    Netscape-centered).

    Anyway, the 4th edition was fundamentally extended, and includes, for
    example, DOM Level 2 functionalities.

    Laurent
    --
    Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft
    Webdesign, Java, JavaScript: http://www.galasoft-LB.ch

    Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft, Aug 18, 2003
  4. Patrick wrote:
    >>Fox wrote:
    >>
    >>>Save yourself some money... JS:TDG was basically a rewriting of the
    >>>following documentation:
    >>>
    >>>Download:
    >>>http://developer.netscape.com/docs/manuals/js/client/jsguide/ClientGuideJS13.zip
    >>>http://developer.netscape.com/docs/manuals/js/client/jsref/ClientReferenceJS13.zip

    > Thanks to all who answered.I guess at my early stage of learning JS,
    > the links provided should be enough for now.When i get better (And i
    > will!), the need for that book might justify spending $40 for it.

    Actually for just $10 a month you can subscribe to up to 5 books online
    at safari.oreilly.com, including Flanagan's definitive guide edition 4.
    Plus I think they have a free trial for 10 or 14 days so you can't go
    wrong.

    George M Jempty, Aug 24, 2003