OS Requirements

Charles Parker

Does Windows XP Media Center Edition support installation of IIS and ASP.NET
or do you need Windows XP Pro or Server series? I installed on Media Center
and I get errors is the reason I am asking. My previous use was on XP Pro
and never had any problems. If XP Pro is required I will just have to do a
dual boot. Thanks in advance for any help.

Charles...

Juan T. Llibre

The .Net Framework runs on Media Center, but we've had reports
of people finding it impossible to run ASP.NET on Media Center.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/technologyinfo/sysreqs/

Jeff Key offers a sample Music Library app for Media Center which
runs on ASP.NET 2.0, but on VWD's development server:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/coding4fun/webcoder/musiclib/default.aspx

You could probably use Visual Studio 2005, too.

Have you tried asking in : microsoft.public.windows.developer.mediacenter

?

Charles Parker

Yes, that is correct that the .NET Framework runs on Media Center. I am
asking the question, if Media Center supports developing ASP.NET
applications or Web Services using IIS and Visual Studio 2003 or 2005? I
believe the answer is no but would like confirmation from someone that knows
in fact this to be true. I am unable to load ASP.NET projects, under Media
Center. I get COM+ and I believe DTC error messages in the event viewer.

Charles...

Juan T. Llibre

re:
I am asking the question, if Media Center supports developing ASP.NET applications or Web Services
using IIS and Visual Studio 2003 or 2005?

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

The answer is no, for that particular combination ( IIS plus VS ).

The answer is yes, if you use the internal server provided with VS 2005,
or a server such as Cassini for VS 2003.

The server included with Media Center doesn't run ASP.NET.
It can, however, host HTML applications.

See :
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...tm/aboutmediacenterhostedhtmlapplications.asp

Flowering Weeds

"Juan T. Llibre"
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

The answer is no, for that particular
combination ( IIS plus VS ).

The answer is yes, if you use the internal server
provided with VS 2005, or a server such as
Cassini for VS 2003.

The server included with Media Center doesn't
run ASP.NET. It can, however, host HTML applications.

FYI

It seems that Media Center is based on
Windows Pro XP SP2 and has IIS (ASP.NET
usable) available to load off the OS's cd.

And for a fun way (on a test machine) to
really learn ASP.NET (loading and usage
actions) try:

Any current Windows OS (Windows Home
Edition XP SP2 and up) and the newer
command line shell Windows PowerShell
(like cmd but with .NET access) and then
use the newer Windows port sharing objects
(made easily available via .NET 2 and up)
and then do ASP.NET (with no IIS usage)!

But also remember that IIS makes ASP.NET
usage easier (and perhaps better than doing
it yourself). But is it nice to see how ASP.NET
works when not using IIS too! :)

gerry

this is definitely untrue.

I am running IIS & VS2003/.NET1.1 & VS2005/.NET2.0 on MCE 2005 with no
problems
the version of IIS installed with MCE runs asp.net applications just fine
The only limitation is that you can only have a single web site in IIS which
is really not much of a limitation for dev purposes.

MCE **is** XP Pro

Juan T. Llibre

Thanks for clearing that up.

Your is the first report I've ever had of someone
successfully running ASP.NET on MCE.