OT - to non USA folks

kchayka

brucie said:
In alt.html Karl Core said:

i'm sure thats very comforting to the families of the 100,000+ dead
iraqi civilians.

I'm sure it's a comforting thought to the coalition forces that are over
there, too.

Sam Hughes

Are you sure about that? I thought Kerry was about 120k behind, but
there are 200k of absentee ballots. It might be very unlikely he'll win
now, but not impossible.

There's a difference between "statistically impossible" and "mathematically
impossible." :p

Karl Core

PW said:
I'm glad Bush won, he's the only one with the guts to make the hard
decisions.

Hard decisions - like which non-existent threat he wants to drum up so we
can invade another country and take their oil.
In 31 years, I've not once been ashamed to be American. I am now.

-Karl

Jeff Thies

The said:
Did anyone else notice how oil values rose sharply once Bush won?

It had fallen previously.

I didn't understand that at first but it was speculators that thought
Kerry would win.

It's widely assumed that oil would be less expensive under Kerry.
Reasons include less tension in the world and the fact that the we (the
US) would stop putting the scarce and very high priced crude into the SPR.

Q: What's the difference between Iraq and Vietnam.
A: Bush had a plan to get out of Vietnam.

Karl Rove was right. You can elect a befuddled, vicious nut case on the
the votes of evangelicals (who aren't heavy into reason).

This is largely an ignorant society that prefers it that way.

Jeff

Greg Schmidt

It's not the whole nation. New England, the Great Lakes states (with one
notable exception...), and the west coast generally looked quite reasonable
on the maps last night.

I am so looking forward to Jon Stewart tonight.
I'm sure it's a comforting thought to the coalition forces that are over
there, too.

Am I misinformed, or did the states that Bush won tend to be the ones that
most US troops come from? Seems there's a lot of people in the midwest
don't much like their kids...

Kevin Scholl

The said:
Did anyone else notice how oil values rose sharply once Bush won?

Did anyone else notice how the DOW, which had risen slightly more than
100 points yesterday, dropped well over 100 points in about a half hour,
when the initial exit polls came out and showed Kerry in the (temporary)
lead?

Did anyone else notice how the DOW rose over 100 points again today,
once Kerry conceded the election, and Bush became the recognized winner?

Coincidence? :)

Kevin Scholl http://www.ksscholl.com/
(e-mail address removed)

rcw

Karl Core said:
Hard decisions - like which non-existent threat he wants to drum up so we
can invade another country and take their oil.
In 31 years, I've not once been ashamed to be American. I am now.

-Karl
There's always the option of moving to a country you aren't "ashamed
of". That's one of the great things people can do - move to where they are
comfortable. While Bush has made several mistakes, the Democratic party
could have done better than to select someone like Kerry to represent their
party, It would have at least given them a better chance. Kerry couldn't
manage to pick an issue that he was consistent on. The last thing we need is
a president who changes his mind more than an adolescent teenaged school
girl.

Me

Wayfarer

Thus spake Karl Core:
I'm sorry that my country's a nation of fuckheads.

"...the country that I want to live in has a government that honors the
vital fabric of land and life that supports us; it upholds the rights
and dignity of every being, even those without voice; it protects the
rights of its citizens to say what they believe. It is a place where
people are educated, where they participate in public life, and where
self-governance is welcome and necessary. The events of the past two
years have me wondering, where is that place?" - Janisse Ray (a U.S.
citizen)

Noozer

There's always the option of moving to a country you aren't "ashamed
of". That's one of the great things people can do - move to where they are
comfortable. While Bush has made several mistakes, the Democratic party
could have done better than to select someone like Kerry to represent their
party, It would have at least given them a better chance. Kerry couldn't
manage to pick an issue that he was consistent on. The last thing we need is
a president who changes his mind more than an adolescent teenaged school
girl.

Nope... I'm a Canadian and as much as I'd like to move to the US, I won't be
allowed to work.

You DON'T have the option to just move to another country whenever you want
to.

....and how is this on topic for alt.html anyhow?

The Bicycling Guitarist

Kevin Scholl said:
Did anyone else notice how the DOW, which had risen slightly more than 100
points yesterday, dropped well over 100 points in about a half hour, when
the initial exit polls came out and showed Kerry in the (temporary) lead?

Did anyone else notice how the DOW rose over 100 points again today, once
Kerry conceded the election, and Bush became the recognized winner?

Coincidence? :)
The late philosopher Alan Watts once said how people pursuing stock market
fortune "eat numbers." They're not getting what they are really looking for,
hence they are miserable. I would have voted against Kerry because he has
flip flopped on so many issues, and on some issues where his stand is clear
it is squarely against my opinions. Still, because Bush has been so harmful
to the Earth, because of all that implies philosophically about every other
decision he makes, I had to vote against him.

I won't post anymore after this to this thread, but wish to explain my

Chris Watson a.k.a. "The Bicycling Guitarist"

Neal

I'm glad Bush won, he's the only one with the guts to make the hard
decisions.

And he sticks to them, even if they're wrong.

Fact: the whole world was rooting for Bush to be ousted. Well, the whole
world minus 51% of the US voting electorate.

One comment I saw was telling - "If George Bush wants to police the world,
shouldn't we have a say in whether he's re-elected?"

Frankly, the increased partisanship, the lack of responsibility with the
budget, the constant pandering to huge drug corporations while millions go
without health care - if almost half the nation didn't vote for him,
there's a good reason. Surely half the nation isn't stupid?

And then the "war on terrorism" thing. Might as well wage war on the wind.
Terrorists are borne of oppression. If someone feels attacked, they strike
back, using any means at their disposal to justify it. It's human nature.
By occupying their countries and fighting with them, we only strengthen
their resolve.

The more you poke a bee's nest, the more likely a lot of people will get
stung.

I could go on, but I'll rein myself in here...

Neal

I'm sure it's a comforting thought to the coalition forces that are over
there, too.

Not sure where you're going, but for the record, I applaud the military
personnel who are having to do a tough job. I do not applaud the
bureaucrats and politicians who thought it was a really good idea to
utilize them in this way.

Neal

Did anyone else notice how the stock market rose sharply once Kerry
conceded? Coincidence?

Don't read too much into the stock market reactions. Often the stock
market reacts positively once a period of high tension is over. It might
not at all be a reflection on any candidate.

And even if it is, perhaps it's understood that the rich will be more
prosperous in a Bush term, so they rally? The poor don't buy as many
stocks, you know.

brucie

In alt.html Neal said:
Not sure where you're going, but for the record, I applaud the military
personnel who are having to do a tough job.

tough? its easy to kill civilians, whats so tough about it? they don't
even shoot back.

Mark Parnell

Fact: the whole world was rooting for Bush to be ousted. Well, the whole
world minus 51% of the US voting electorate.

Plus John Howard and Tony Blair.
One comment I saw was telling - "If George Bush wants to police the world,
shouldn't we have a say in whether he's re-elected?"

Not sure whether you're talking about me or not, but I made a similar
comment in aww the other day.
if almost half the nation didn't vote for him,
there's a good reason. Surely half the nation isn't stupid?

Well, lets assume that half of those that could vote did so, and we know
just over half of those who did vote, voted for Bush. That makes nearly
3/4 of the population of the US who didn't vote for him. ;-)

Neredbojias

Neal said:
[...]

I can't believe it! Just read this whole thread (to date), and so many
people agree with what I thought was my *minority* opinion. Even said last
night (-more or less jokingly) that half the people in the US must be
STUPID. The only answer is ... the elections are rigged!

Neal

Mark said:
Neal wrote

Not sure whether you're talking about me or not, but I made a similar
comment in aww the other day.

May have been, I didn't note the poster. But it's true, all the way.

We want to be an empire, we better learn from the mistakes of past empires.
Well, lets assume that half of those that could vote did so, and we know
just over half of those who did vote, voted for Bush. That makes nearly
3/4 of the population of the US who didn't vote for him. ;-)

Isn't the decision not to vote a vote in itself? A vote for apathy,
perhaps? Or perhaps a vote for "whatever happens"?

Unlike 4 years ago, virtually no trickery happened. Anyone who wanted to
vote and who was eligible got to. (Aside from a friend of mine who just
moved to a new town, and she went to the wrong place to vote. She
eventually found her correct polling place a mere minute after the polls
closed...)

So most, if not all, eligible voters who did not vote were apparently
complacent with whatever happened. That's their choice. But I can't see
their action as pro- or con- any candidate.