Personal attacks by moderators in a moderated group areunprofessional

spinoza1111

I didn't think you could top your logical "proof" that "clear= true",
but this, brief though it is, is a classic.

It takes guts to be prepared to look like a pompous douchebag in the
service of a good April Fool's gag.

Damn right, yokel. Literally true. I will non-anonymously look like a
pompous douchebags to pompous douchebags, who in general are
unqualified to tell who is and who is not a pompout douchebag.

Colonel Harlan Sanders

Damn right, yokel. Literally true. I will non-anonymously look like a
pompous douchebags to pompous douchebags, who in general are
unqualified to tell who is and who is not a pompout douchebag.

Great. Push the issue with your publisher.
Look forward to seeing which author's contract they cancel.

Don't worry, there are plenty of vanity presses around that don't care
how much of an idiot you are, though they might draw the line at being
involved in your petty online feuds.

spinoza1111

Great. Push the issue with your publisher.
Look forward to seeing which author's contract they cancel.

The contract is already fulfilled. It cannot be canceled. The book is
on-sale, and I'm receiving royalties, same as Seebach. Sorry.

James Harris

http://groups.google.com.hk/group/comp.lang.c.moderated/msg/2cac44082...

This specific issue is being brought today to Apress' attention.

"Personal attacks"? (In your subject line.) What personal attacks? The
moderator made a small joke at your expense on 1st April. You'd do
better to roll with the joke and have a laugh at it. I suspect you
would gain more respect that way. Your repeatedly shouting that you've
taken such things to higher authorities reminds me of children at
school. So you've told the teacher on him. Well done.

Worse than that, trying to *injure* fellow contributors to these
newsgroups by talking to their publishers is plain spiteful (and
likely of more injury to you than them). Spite is another quality
associated with juveniles. Sorry to say it but IMO it's about time you
grew up and stopped peppering these newsgroups with defences to your
dignity and stuck to talking about C. I guessed from the subject line
that it was you who had started this thread. I can't think of any
other current contributor who behaves as you do.

The post in comp.lang.c.moderated, "Time for a handoff, I think," was
in no way a personal attack (and I hope the OP keeps it that way).
However, your response contained

* profanity
* accusation of the OP having some "psychological disorder"
* assertion that the OP is "incompetent"

In this and in other posts, ISTM that *you* are the one making
personal attacks. I think you therefore also win the award for
hypocrisy. In fact, given the provocation you have provided in the
past I think the OP in comp.lang.c.moderated was being remarkably
restrained.

If you are offended by any of the above please take time to think
about how you come across.

James

spinoza1111

Great. Push the issue with your publisher.
Look forward to seeing which author's contract they cancel.

Don't worry, there are plenty of vanity presses around that don't care
how much of an idiot you are, though they might draw the line at being
involved in your petty online feuds.

From "You Are Not A Gadget: a Manifesto" by Jaron Lanier:

"'Troll' is a term for an anonymous person who is abusive in an online
environment. It would be nice to believe that there is only a minute
troll population living among us. But in fact, a great many people
have experienced being drawn into nasty exchanges online. Everyone who
has experienced that has been introduced to his or her inner troll."

"I have tried to be aware of the troll within myself. I notice that I
can suddenly become relieved when someone else in an online exchange
is getting pounded or humiliated, because that means I'm safe for the
moment. If someone else's video is being ridiculed on YouTube then
mine is temporarily protected. But that also means I'm complicit in a
mob dynamic. Have I ever planted a seed of mob-beckoning ridicule in
order to guide the mob to a target other than myself? Yes, I have,
though I shouldn't have. I observe others doing that very thing
routinely in anonymous online meeting places."

spinoza1111

"Personal attacks"? (In your subject line.) What personal attacks? The
moderator made a small joke at your expense on 1st April. You'd do
better to roll with the joke and have a laugh at it. I suspect you
would gain more respect that way. Your repeatedly shouting that you've
taken such things to higher authorities reminds me of children at
school. So you've told the teacher on him. Well done.

I am no longer interested in the "respect" of ill-educated fools. I
propose that they leave this newsgroup, since it's for the civil
discussion of C by adults.

As to your simile: grow up. We AREN'T in kiddie school, and when I was
at Bell-Northern Research in Mountain View, I could see that it would
fail because a critical mass of employees acted as if BNR was a high
school. They stole equipment, had parties at which rapes occured, and
failed to deliver.

Worse than that, trying to *injure* fellow contributors to these
newsgroups by talking to their publishers is plain spiteful (and
likely of more injury to you than them). Spite is another quality
associated with juveniles. Sorry to say it but IMO it's about time you
grew up and stopped peppering these newsgroups with defences to your
dignity and stuck to talking about C. I guessed from the subject line
that it was you who had started this thread. I can't think of any
other current contributor who behaves as you do.

I may have started this thread, but as usual you don't do your
homework. The fact is that I approached Seebach collegially, offering
to discuss my concerns by email.

He deleted the email unread. He then proceeded to call me names, and
also to demonstrate in a series of incompetent programs that he's not
a qualified C programmer, not in the slightest.

And I will complain to his publisher, since Apress has also published
my book, and his bad behavior makes all Apress authors look bad.

The post in comp.lang.c.moderated, "Time for a handoff, I think," was
in no way a personal attack (and I hope the OP keeps it that way).
However, your response contained

* profanity

Well **** me in the ass. I have already gone on record that it is much
worse to deliberately destroy Schildt's reputation, and cause him and
his family mental anguish, than to use "profanity". My generation
ended a war using "profanity".
* accusation of the OP having some "psychological disorder"

Peter Seebach has stated that he has psychological disorders (ADHD and
autism). Ordinarily, I would ignore this. However, it's obscene for
him to implicitly claim tolerance for his numerous coding errors based
on this excuse while making wild accusations (in "C: the Complete
Nonsense") that 20 trivial errors are really 100s of errors and that
I'm incompetent, a moron and insane.

* assertion that the OP is "incompetent"

This was based on my review of several of his programs, in which I
found newbie errors in each.
In this and in other posts, ISTM that *you* are the one making
personal attacks. I think you therefore also win the award for
hypocrisy. In fact, given the provocation you have provided in the
past I think the OP in comp.lang.c.moderated was being remarkably
restrained.

No, Peter Seebach who is the moderator has a track record of trying to
advance a career as a "programmer" by doing things with null content:

* He probably wrote "C: the Complete Nonsense" to make it appear that
he was more qualified as a C programmer than Schildt, because as it
happens, he has no academic preparation in computer science and is an
incompetent programmer

* He paid his way into the C99 standards board and attended meetings
to add a line to his resume that he then used to add authority to
CTCN. At the meetings, he has said that he didn't contribute.

* He presents trivial and useless routines in this ng to establish
credibility, but these routines (notably a program which is really a
script for replacing one fixed pattern in a very specialized
environment, and which didn't work) are incompetent
If you are offended by any of the above please take time to think
about how you come across.

I know very well how I "come across". Part of the problem here is that
people are afraid to speak their truth, but want to come across as
something which they are not, and Peter Seebach is exhibit A.

ImpalerCore

I didn't think you could top your logical "proof" that "clear= true",
but this, brief though it is, is a classic.

It takes guts to be prepared to look like a pompous douchebag in the
service of a good April Fool's gag.

I was kinda hoping that spinoza would fake being nice, courteous, and
gracious without appearing satirical to Seebach on April 1st, just to
see if he could fake it enough to fool some people that he'd changed
his ways.

Oh well, time to go back to your regularly scheduled flame wars.

Bill Reid

I was kinda hoping that spinoza would fake being nice, courteous, and
gracious without appearing satirical to Seebach on April 1st, just to
see if he could fake it enough to fool some people that he'd changed
his ways.

Oh well, time to go back to your regularly scheduled flame wars.

You guys are missing a new instant classic:

"My generation ended a war using "profanity"."
-- "SpinNosey", 4/2/2010

Gives a whole new meaning to the term "F-bomb"...but
I think he should have also acknowledged the critical
tactical advantage of ethnic slurs, as well...

And since there's only one war I can think of that
was fought by his "generation", I guess he's referring
to soldiers screaming "GODDAMN CHARLIE!!!" as they
pulled out of Vietnam...

Seebs

The post in comp.lang.c.moderated, "Time for a handoff, I think," was
in no way a personal attack (and I hope the OP keeps it that way).

Using someone's comments as a joke is sort of an implicit attack, because
it implies that they're laughable.

The ideal solution, if one does not want to have one's statements mocked,
is not to say things that are laughable.

-s

Seebs

Honestly, I'm shocked he didn't post that public apology you've been
demanding and then make it clear it was an April Fools joke the day
after. That would have been a hoot.

Meh, that's MUCH funnier.

The thing about reporting me to Apress is eerily familiar, just because
the kook who's been flooding soc.religion.quaker for the last decade
or so does similar things; he regularly reports people to various churches
of which they are not members.

-s

James Harris

The thing about reporting me to Apress is eerily familiar, just because
the kook who's been flooding soc.religion.quaker for the last decade
or so does similar things; he regularly reports people to various churches
of which they are not members.

There are some weird people out there. I'd love to see what Apress
make of his messages!

James

Seebs

There are some weird people out there. I'd love to see what Apress
make of his messages!

I confess to some idle curiousity myself. Not enough to waste their time
asking, or anything, but I'm sort of fascinated by watching the process where
people get contacted by someone and gradually figure out that the person
they're talking to is apparently-insane.

-s

Ian Collins

There are some weird people out there. I'd love to see what Apress
make of his messages!

They'll probably think the April fool's was delayed in the mail.

Seebs

They'll probably think the April fool's was delayed in the mail.

Assuming he ever actually sends them (normally people don't, but apparently
the one haunting srq actually got so far as being told by a local Friends
Meeting that, no, they would not be taking steps to prevent other people
from disagreeing with him on the internet), it's quite likely that the
first one was taken seriously long enough for people to do research, and that
now it's probably a regular breakroom activity to check up on latest
developments. I posted a link to the "implementing strstr" thread for my
coworkers because I figured it would break up an otherwise dull afternoon.

As to whether my behavior here is "professional", well, not in general,
no. I'm not here as a professional, I'm here as a hobbyist who enjoys both
discussion, and C, and occasionally even discussion of C. However, if anyone
wants to pay me to behave professionally here, I'm quite willing to talk
about hourly rates. :)

-s

spinoza1111

Honestly, I'm shocked he didn't post that public apology you've been
demanding and then make it clear it was an April Fools joke the day
after. That would have been a hoot.

No, it wasn't funny, Julienne. It's part of a campaign of personal
destruction. So that's funny? How about blonde jokes? Women driver
jokes?

spinoza1111

Meh, that's MUCH funnier.

The thing about reporting me to Apress is eerily familiar, just because
the kook who's been flooding soc.religion.quaker for the last decade
or so does similar things; he regularly reports people to various churches
of which they are not members.

Your powerlessness causes you to think that someone who complains to a
corporation must be a kook, because you never complain about ill-
treatment to an institution, do you. Therefore, you reason that anyone
does so lives in a garbage can. Houston, you have a problem. My
complaint was acknowledged by Paul Manning, who personally saw to it
that my back royalties for "Build Your Own .Net Language and Compiler"
were paid last year, and has been forwarded to Apress management.
Don't force me to have to go to Wind River next. Instead, send me
email so that we can discuss your behavior (and if you like mine)
offline, and spare people a lot of extra posts.