Personal Blog

mcp6453

I would like to have a personal blog, but other than using typad.com or
blogspot.com, which hosts at their domain name instead of mine, I don't
know how to create a desirable one. My server, through Fantastico,
offers a couple of blogging software modules, including WordPad, but it
is very simple and does not appear to allow posting of images.

What is a good way to add a good blog to a personal web site hosting on
a Linux server with PHP, CGI, etc? Should I try to locate someone to do
it for me, since I do not know what I'm doing? I would think that
whatever software is used, some HTML knowledge would be beneficial to
customize the look of the page. The who site will be the blug (the main
page) plus some unsophisticated, ancillary pages.

If anyone contacts me privately wishing to work with me on this project,
please include 1) an example of a blog that you have created that meets
these criteria, 2) how much the software costs to create the blog, and
3) how much you charge for your assistance (not hourly -- package price.)

Jan Faerber

mcp6453 wrote:
Follow-up redirect to alt.html...

I bought a PHP magazine - the suggest to use pLog.

Some Blog-Links:

www.blogger.com
www.livejournal.com
www.gizmodo.com
theredkitchen.net
allconsuming.net
www.georgewbush.com/blog
blog.johnkerry.com
www.instapundit.com
www.dailykos.com
blogs.sun.com/roller
blogs.msdn.com
blogs.msdn.com/ie
www.scripting.com
www.diveintomark.org
www.tbray.org/ongoing
www.lessig.org/blog
www.movabletype.org
www.wordpress.org
cafelog.com
nucleuscms.org
www.bblog.com
www.pmachine.com/expressionengine
www.s9y.org
www.textpattern.com
www.plogworld.org
blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rss
www.atomenabled.org
www.weblogs.com
blo.gs
www.technorati.com

Matthias Gutfeldt

mcp6453 said:
What is a good way to add a good blog to a personal web site hosting on
a Linux server with PHP, CGI, etc?

Write it yourself :).

Or simply download Wordpress, <http://wordpress.org/>. Requires
PHP,MySQL. Installation is a snap, and it's easy to use. What I
particularly like is the many plugins it has to kill comment spam.
Not affiliated, just a happy customer.

Matthias

Heidi

:
: What is a good way to add a good blog to a personal web site hosting
: on a Linux server with PHP, CGI, etc?

Try http://www.b2evolution.net/

I did and I love it. Plus it is free. I use it here:
http://www.holidayarticles.com/

I also have plans to put it on more domains of mine as soon as I have the
time.

Good luck,
Heidi

Simon

mcp6453 said:
I would like to have a personal blog, but other than using typad.com or
blogspot.com, which hosts at their domain name instead of mine, I don't
know how to create a desirable one. My server, through Fantastico,
offers a couple of blogging software modules, including WordPad, but it
is very simple and does not appear to allow posting of images.

What is a good way to add a good blog to a personal web site hosting on
a Linux server with PHP, CGI, etc? Should I try to locate someone to do
it for me, since I do not know what I'm doing? I would think that
whatever software is used, some HTML knowledge would be beneficial to
customize the look of the page. The who site will be the blug (the main
page) plus some unsophisticated, ancillary pages.

Personally I would recommend you use www.blogger.com, you can set it up to
publish your blog to your own web space (very easy to setup, just fill in
your ftp details), have a look at the freebie hunters blog in my sig as an
example, the majority of that is created using blogger, but with the links
and voucher pages created in frontpage and uploaded by ftp. If you need a
hand setting it up drop me an email my address is on both my websites.

Simon
The Freebie Hunters Blog - http://freebiehuntersblog.totalwebhosting.co.uk
- Months of Free DVD Rental - www.FreeDVDRental.info -

Greg L

I've used a lot of the fantastico stuff, and most of the scripts allow
uploading of images.

Barbara de Zoete

<also snip what you don't reply to, to keep down post size and to keep it to the
point>
I've used a lot of the fantastico stuff, and most of the scripts allow
uploading of images.

Now, don't you think it would be a bit more helpful if you shared with this
newsgroup what this 'fantastico stuff' actually was. This reply of yours is
empty and useless without telling.

Greg L

Barbara de Zoete said:
<also snip what you don't reply to, to keep down post size and to keep it
to the point>

Now, don't you think it would be a bit more helpful if you shared with
this newsgroup what this 'fantastico stuff' actually was. This reply of
yours is empty and useless without telling.

My post was in response to the initial poster who stated that the Fantatisco
blogs did not allow the user to upload images. Since that poster already had
mentioned fantastico, I really didn't feel the need to lecture everybody
about it.

Barbara de Zoete

My post was in response to the initial poster who stated that the Fantatisco
blogs did not allow the user to upload images. Since that poster already had
mentioned fantastico,

I see. Because of the top post and the missing capital (fantastico in stead of
Fantastico) I completely lost the context. See what happens?
BTW, thanks for replying at the right end of the post this time :)
I really didn't feel the need to lecture everybody
about it.

Probably not. I just misunderstood.

Greg L

Barbara de Zoete said:
I see. Because of the top post and the missing capital (fantastico in
stead of Fantastico) I completely lost the context. See what happens?
BTW, thanks for replying at the right end of the post this time :)

Probably not. I just misunderstood.

I love to top post! Btw, I didn;t know that this was being cross-posted to
alt.html. Sorry!

-greg