    want this clip to play in real time.

    thanks for answering

    Gregor

    Gregor Traven, Nov 22, 2004

  2. Gregor Traven

    Neal Guest

    http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/streaming.htm

    Neal, Nov 23, 2004

  3. Gregor Traven

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Gregor Traven wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Can you guys please give me an advice on how to put a short video stream on
    > my website the easiest way there is. Though if that is not the optimum, I am
    > willing to try anything that will work fine in most browsers etc. I just
    > want this clip to play in real time.
    >
    > thanks for answering
    >
    > Gregor

    Probably the best way these days for short video clips is Flash MX 2004.
    It handles most formats without the user needing a plugin or codec
    (other than Flash itself, which is tiny, free, and doesn't have any ads,
    and 75% of people have installed already).

    You have to keep in mind through it's almost impossible to stream video
    over anything except broadband. There simply isn't enough 'speed' on a
    dialup modem connection for video (even really low quality video).

    If you want the video itself to be a live source (a real live camera
    filming and instantly providing the output over the net, like a webcam)
    life gets a LOT more complicated, and it's not really something you can
    just put together without professional equipment and a proper media
    hosting service.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Nov 23, 2004
  4. "SpaceGirl" <> wrote in message
    > Gregor Traven wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Can you guys please give me an advice on how to put a short video stream
    >> on my website the easiest way there is. Though if that is not the
    >> optimum, I am willing to try anything that will work fine in most
    >> browsers etc. I just want this clip to play in real time.
    >>
    >> thanks for answering
    >>
    >> Gregor

    > Probably the best way these days for short video clips is Flash MX 2004.
    > It handles most formats without the user needing a plugin or codec (other
    > than Flash itself, which is tiny, free, and doesn't have any ads, and 75%
    > of people have installed already).
    >
    > You have to keep in mind through it's almost impossible to stream video
    > over anything except broadband. There simply isn't enough 'speed' on a
    > dialup modem connection for video (even really low quality video).
    >
    > If you want the video itself to be a live source (a real live camera
    > filming and instantly providing the output over the net, like a webcam)
    > life gets a LOT more complicated, and it's not really something you can
    > just put together without professional equipment and a proper media
    > hosting service.
    >

    > --
    >

    > x theSpaceGirl (miranda)
    >
    > # lead designer @ http://www.dhnewmedia.com #
    > # remove NO SPAM to email, or use form on website #

    Hey thanks, that is all I wanted to hear, I was already wandering if it's
    possible to do it in flash, but the other option is also quite simple so I
    won't have many problems with doing this.

    Gregor

    Gregor Traven, Nov 23, 2004
  5. "Gregor Traven" <> wrote in message

    > "SpaceGirl" <> wrote in message
    >> Gregor Traven wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> Can you guys please give me an advice on how to put a short video stream
    >>> on my website the easiest way there is. Though if that is not the
    >>> optimum, I am willing to try anything that will work fine in most
    >>> browsers etc. I just want this clip to play in real time.
    >>>
    >>> thanks for answering
    >>>
    >>> Gregor

    >> Probably the best way these days for short video clips is Flash MX 2004.
    >> It handles most formats without the user needing a plugin or codec (other
    >> than Flash itself, which is tiny, free, and doesn't have any ads, and 75%
    >> of people have installed already).
    >>
    >> You have to keep in mind through it's almost impossible to stream video
    >> over anything except broadband. There simply isn't enough 'speed' on a
    >> dialup modem connection for video (even really low quality video).
    >>
    >> If you want the video itself to be a live source (a real live camera
    >> filming and instantly providing the output over the net, like a webcam)
    >> life gets a LOT more complicated, and it's not really something you can
    >> just put together without professional equipment and a proper media
    >> hosting service.
    >>

    >> --
    >>

    >> x theSpaceGirl (miranda)
    >>
    >> # lead designer @ http://www.dhnewmedia.com #
    >> # remove NO SPAM to email, or use form on website #

    > Hey thanks, that is all I wanted to hear, I was already wandering if it's
    > possible to do it in flash, but the other option is also quite simple so I
    > won't have many problems with doing this.
    >
    > Gregor

    OK I ran into some problems. Streaming works fine but when I click the link
    windows media player opens and plays the video. I wanted the video to play
    on a webpage at a certain position.

    Another thing, if I offer my visitors this video for download, only IE
    recognises the mime type wmv and asks for download, opera for example won't
    react if the link is clicked. How can this be solved?

    Gregor

    Gregor Traven, Nov 23, 2004
  6. Gregor Traven

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Gregor Traven wrote:

    > Another thing, if I offer my visitors this video for download, only IE
    > recognises the mime type wmv and asks for download

    "wmv" is not a MIME type. What MIME type are you *really* using?

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Nov 24, 2004
  7. "Toby Inkster" <> wrote in message
    > Gregor Traven wrote:
    >
    >> Another thing, if I offer my visitors this video for download, only IE
    >> recognises the mime type wmv and asks for download

    > "wmv" is not a MIME type. What MIME type are you *really* using?

    I have this video in windows media format ".wmv". If I put a link on my site
    for example to a .zip file Opera pops up the ususal open/save window and for
    this .wmv file, it just doesn't. What's the problem with that? And in what
    way can I embed this file into my webpage?

    Gregor

    Gregor

    Gregor Traven, Nov 24, 2004
  8. Gregor Traven

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Gregor Traven wrote:

    > I have this video in windows media format ".wmv".

    Really, the last four characters in the URL don't make a bit of difference?

    What is the *MIME* *type*?

    Failing that, what is the URL so we can find out for ourselves?

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Nov 25, 2004