Please criticize this page (not on the whole website!)

Sally Thompson

Please criticize this page (not the whole website)
except the lack of a title for each image because I am working on that.

It is very very long. My feeling is that you would be better breaking it up
into different sections with appropriate links. Also the picture of the
seagull immediately after Gullmarn, l´unico vero fiordo svedese leaps from
one side to the other if I change the width of my browser window.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Adrienne Boswell said:
Besides the fact that I don't understand the language, there is way too
much information, not well organized, just does not look professional.

Why do you think that the information is not well organized?

Luigi Donatello Asero

Sally Thompson said:
It is very very long.

W3 pages are long as well.
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/

My feeling is that you would be better breaking it up
into different sections with appropriate links.
The pages is already linked to many others which give further information
on the topics the page deals with...

Also the picture of the
seagull immediately after Gullmarn, lunico vero fiordo svedese leaps from
one side to the other if I change the width of my browser window.
Which browser did you use?

Luigi Donatello Asero

There are also several subsections and subsubsections within the same
page...
just look at the mark up in the source...

Sally Thompson

W3 pages are long as well.
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/

So? They are technical pages.
My feeling is that you would be better breaking it up
The pages is already linked to many others which give further information
on the topics the page deals with...

You asked for an opinion. I gave it. The page is way too long.
Also the picture of the
Which browser did you use?

Firefox on a Mac, but specially for you <g> I looked in Safari as well, and
the same thing happens. I can't be bothered to fire up my Windows machine,
nor to look at the source.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Sally Thompson said:
So? They are technical pages.

Although the pages deal with different subjects, I think that both deliver
interesting information. I do not see why mine should be shorter and not
longer..
You asked for an opinion. I gave it. The page is way too long.

Fine. But I do not agree.
Any further suggestions?
Firefox on a Mac, but specially for you <g> I looked in Safari as well, and
the same thing happens. I can't be bothered to fire up my Windows machine,
nor to look at the source.

Ok. Why do you think it is a problem?

Adrienne Boswell

Luigi Donatello Asero wote:
Why do you think that the information is not well organized?

When I go to the Internet, I want information right away. I don't want
to have to wade through a lot of stuff.

Look at the sites of others in your same business. See what they do.
I'm not talking about bad markup, fixed width design, etc., I'm just
talking about the length of the page, and how easily information is
accessed. That is what professionals do, get the information to the
user as quickly and easily as possible.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Adrienne Boswell said:
Luigi Donatello Asero wote:

When I go to the Internet, I want information right away. I don't want
to have to wade through a lot of stuff.

Look at the sites of others in your same business. See what they do.
I'm not talking about bad markup, fixed width design, etc., I'm just
talking about the length of the page, and how easily information is
accessed. That is what professionals do, get the information to the
user as quickly and easily as possible.

There is a list of contents on that page........
thus, I find that information can be easily accessed....

Martin Jay

Also the picture of the seagull immediately after Gullmarn, l´unico
vero fiordo svedese leaps from one side to the other if I change the
width of my browser window.

Same here. I think it would look better centred or floated left (or
right) with text flowing around it.

The two pictures after the bird could also do with centring.

Also the "Popolazione in Svezia nel 2002, 2003 e 2004" table it in an
odd position in my browser, see
<http://www.spam-free.org.uk/pages/Luigi_01.jpg>. And the picture above
it seems to be poorly placed: it looks are though it should go up or
down a line.

I think the search box also needs to be centred, and I don't like the
way the menus are right-justified with centred headings. It just looks
very odd. <http://www.spam-free.org.uk/pages/Luigi_02.jpg>.

And the layout of the paragraphs seem a bit erratic. The first line of
some are indented, some are not. Some of the paragraphs are the full
width of my browser window, others are not, see
<http://www.spam-free.org.uk/pages/Luigi_03.jpg>.

It looks a bit of a jumble to me, which is a shame because you appear to
have some useful content, even though I don't understand a word of it.
:)

Oh, and your HTML looks a bit bloated. Take the follow, for example. Do
you really need to give each <li> the same class?

<ul>
<li class="horizontal"><a href="#posizionegeografica">La posizione
geografica della Svezia</a></li>
<li class="horizontal"><a href="storia-e-politica-in-svezia.html">Storia
e politica della Svezia</a></li>

[snip]

<li class="horizontal"><a href="#democrazia">La democrazia, la
rappresentanza politica e l´emancipazione femminile in

Sally Thompson

Although the pages deal with different subjects, I think that both deliver
interesting information. I do not see why mine should be shorter and not
longer..

I dare say you don't.
Fine. But I do not agree.
Any further suggestions?

OK. How about this? You tell me what criticisms you would like of your
page, and I will repeat them. Then you will be very happy.
Ok. Why do you think it is a problem?

It isn't a problem to me, since I am never likely to look at that page again,
and I discovered this interesting effect quite by accident. You however
might like to find out the cause and put it right. I certainly would if
someone pointed out such a thing to me. Presumably you either want the
seagull image on the left or right - not flying rapidly from right to left if
someone happens to reduce their browser window a little to look at something
else on their desktop.

Sally Thompson

There is a list of contents on that page........
thus, I find that information can be easily accessed....

But it isn't about you. It's about what your potential customer/visitor
wants. A great wedge of stuff like that is very off-putting.

Luigi Donatello Asero

Sally Thompson said:
I dare say you don't.

Really?
So you understand Italian, don´t you?
Either you understand Italian and the contents or not....

[cut]
It isn't a problem to me, since I am never likely to look at that page again,
and I discovered this interesting effect quite by accident. You however
might like to find out the cause and put it right. I certainly would if
someone pointed out such a thing to me. Presumably you either want the
seagull image on the left or right - not flying rapidly from right to left if
someone happens to reduce their browser window a little to look at something
else on their desktop.

I do not see it as a problem

Luigi Donatello Asero

Martin Jay said:
Same here. I think it would look better centred or floated left (or
right) with text flowing around it.
Perhaps.

The two pictures after the bird could also do with centring.

Not sure whether it would really improve
Also the "Popolazione in Svezia nel 2002, 2003 e 2004" table it in an
odd position in my browser, see
<http://www.spam-free.org.uk/pages/Luigi_01.jpg>. And the picture above
it seems to be poorly placed: it looks are though it should go up or
down a line.

I think the search box also needs to be centred, and I don't like the
way the menus are right-justified with centred headings. It just looks
very odd. <http://www.spam-free.org.uk/pages/Luigi_02.jpg>.

It seems to me more a matter of taste...
Some probably like it one way and others the other way...
And the layout of the paragraphs seem a bit erratic. The first line of
some are indented, some are not. Some of the paragraphs are the full
width of my browser window, others are not, see
<http://www.spam-free.org.uk/pages/Luigi_03.jpg>.

It looks a bit of a jumble to me, which is a shame because you appear to
have some useful content, even though I don't understand a word of it.
:)

Perhaps all people who do not understand the content had better not make any
comments about it...
no matter whether they are positive or negative commentaries...
Oh, and your HTML looks a bit bloated. Take the follow, for example. Do
you really need to give each <li> the same class?

<ul>
<li class="horizontal"><a href="#posizionegeografica">La posizione
geografica della Svezia</a></li>
<li class="horizontal"><a href="storia-e-politica-in-svezia.html">Storia
e politica della Svezia</a></li>

[snip]

<li class="horizontal"><a href="#democrazia">La democrazia, la
rappresentanza politica e lemancipazione femminile in

Why not?

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, "Luigi Donatello Asero"
I do not see why mine should be
shorter and not longer..

Is this a common lament amongst Italians living in Sweden or something more
personally specific?