Please supply a valid soap action

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Mark A. Deal, Apr 13, 2005.

  1. Mark A. Deal

    Mark A. Deal Guest

    I have a web service which returns the following error but only when called
    from one server which is running my web application:

    "Unable to handle request without a valid action parameter. Please supply a
    valid soap action."

    If run the exact same code from any other location, it works fine. It seems
    to me that some of the soap headers are getting stripped along the way.
    Does anybody have any ideas where to start looking?

    To clarify, if I run a Winforms app which calls the web service from my
    network or other networks I have tested, it runs fine. If I call it from
    within my client's network, I get the error.

    Thoughts are certainly appreciated!

    --
    Mark A. Deal
    Document & Data Solutions, LLC

    Mark A. Deal, Apr 13, 2005

  2. Mark A. Deal

    Mark A. Deal Guest

    Thought I would throw out the solution to the problem since we discovered it
    today:

    The firewall was stripping SOAP headers for some reason. Packet logging was
    turned on and when it was turned off the web service worked.

    Hope this helps somebody sometime in the future.

    Mark A. Deal, Apr 16, 2005

  3. Mark A. Deal

    Guest

    Thanks - I just hit this for the first time, too, today.
    Jo

    , Apr 16, 2005