Problem with Favicon

Mika Stenberg

I cant get my IE6 to show any favicons next to URL. Wonder what is wrong?
Mozilla does it ok.

Mika

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Mika Stenberg pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
I cant get my IE6 to show any favicons next to URL. Wonder what is wrong?
Mozilla does it ok.

IIRC, IE never uses a favicon in the address bar, only on the "favorites"
menu when the page is bookmarked. And then it disappears when the visitor
clears history and Temporary Internet Files.

Mark Parnell

Sometime around Thu, 23 Oct 2003 22:35:59 +0300, Mika Stenberg is reported
to have stated:
I cant get my IE6 to show any favicons next to URL. Wonder what is wrong?

You're using IE. :)

Yes, it's a bug (shock, horror!) - it won't show until you bookmark it.

Dan

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 19:58:56 GMT, Beauregard T. Shagnasty
| IIRC, IE never uses a favicon in the address bar, only on the "favorites"
| menu when the page is bookmarked.

It will also appear in the address bar on visits after you have
bookmarked the page. But as you suggested, it can be erratic.

- return address is altered slightly to reduce spam.

Dan

-)

| Yes, it's a bug (shock, horror!) - it won't show until you bookmark it.

Because IE can be so flakey, it is probably better to confirm that the
icon is up and working using Mozilla or another browser.

- return address is altered slightly to reduce spam.

Mark Parnell

Sometime around Fri, 24 Oct 2003 03:24:59 GMT, Dan is reported to have
stated:
Because IE can be so flakey, it is probably better to confirm that the
icon is up and working using Mozilla or another browser.

I find that that is the best way to go for any testing - test on Mozilla
(or _something_ other than IE), and then check in IE once it looks right.