Questions about Perl for Windows

Discussion in 'Perl' started by al2048@aol.com, Mar 1, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I am running Windows Millennium Edition on a Pentium 4, 1400 MHz
    computer from Gateway.

    If I download IndigoPerl at the site
    http://www.indigostar.com/indigoperl.htm ,
    will I get perl AND the apache web server in one download?

    How reliable is the above download?

    If I download ActivePerl at the site
    http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/ ,
    will I have to download Apache in a separate download?

    Is ActivePerl reliable?

    Also, at my job, I will have the Unix operating system. If I write a
    Perl program on Unix, will this program run on
    IndigoPerl or ActivePerl on Windows Millennium Edition?

    Thank you for any information you can give me.

    Regards,

    Alex K.

    , Mar 1, 2005

  2. wrote:

    > Newsgroup: comp.lang.perl, [ ...]

    I suggest you break into the office of your NNTP admin and remove
    his/her skeleton. The newsgroup comp.lang.perl has not existed since
    sometime in the last millenium.

    > I am running Windows Millennium Edition on a Pentium 4, 1400 MHz
    > computer from Gateway.
    >
    > If I download IndigoPerl at the site
    > http://www.indigostar.com/indigoperl.htm ,
    > will I get perl AND the apache web server in one download?
    >
    > How reliable is the above download?

    I stopped using Indigo and went back to ActiveState because Indigo was
    not shipping an Apache1.x+mod_perl1+perl5.8.x bundle.

    Apache2+mod_perl2 (Indigo or not) crashes periodically on Win32 and
    although it does an auto restart this takes quite literally several
    minutes of CPU thrashing.

    Note: All the above is based on observations made a few months ago.
    Things could have changed.

    I currently use Apache1 + mod_perl1 + ActiveState Perl5.8.x on Win32
    boxes. (And various conbination including Apache2+mod_perl2+perl5.8.x
    on Unix).

    Brian McCauley, Mar 1, 2005

  3. Bart Lateur Guest

    wrote:

    >If I download IndigoPerl at the site
    >http://www.indigostar.com/indigoperl.htm ,
    >will I get perl AND the apache web server in one download?

    Yes. And mod_perl too, in one go.

    >How reliable is the above download?

    Good.

    >If I download ActivePerl at the site
    >http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/ ,
    >will I have to download Apache in a separate download?

    Yes.

    >Is ActivePerl reliable?

    Yes. ActivePerl is pretty much *the* perl for Windows... though
    technically, it and Indigoperl are virtually identical. Precompiled
    modules for ActivePerl (AKA PPM distributions) will work just as well
    for for both, too. The main difference between the two is what comes
    with it for modules, and the module installation script itself that
    comes with it. Each has a custom written script, comletely different
    from that of the other.

    >Also, at my job, I will have the Unix operating system. If I write a
    >Perl program on Unix, will this program run on
    >IndigoPerl or ActivePerl on Windows Millennium Edition?

    Mostly, yes. It depends on what commands you use.

    --
    Bart.

    Bart Lateur, Mar 1, 2005

    Bart Lateur wrote:
    > >Is ActivePerl reliable?

    > Yes. ActivePerl is pretty much *the* perl for Windows... though
    > technically, it and Indigoperl are virtually identical. Precompiled
    > modules for ActivePerl (AKA PPM distributions) will work just as well
    > for for both, too. The main difference between the two is what comes
    > with it for modules, and the module installation script itself that
    > comes with it. Each has a custom written script, comletely different
    > from that of the other.

    I need a version of Perl that can use modules. Can both IndigoPerl and
    ActivePerl do that?

    Also, I have dial-up Internet access. So, which Perl version is best to
    download?

    Regards,

    Alex K.

    , Mar 2, 2005
  5. crypix Guest

    In my opinion Activestate with an independant install of Apache is more
    stable and a lot more reliiable than indigo...just my .02
    ~crypix

    crypix, Mar 2, 2005