Event ID: 1089
Date: 18/05/2007
Time: 07:57:37 PM
User: N/A
Computer: LJONES
Failed to execute the request because the ASP.NET process identity does not
have read permissions to the global assembly cache. Error: 0x80070005 Access
is denied.

John Saunders [MVP]

Dave said:
I have asked previously, how to get the rid of 'Server application
unavailable' error. Mr Llibre tried tried diligently to help, but same
problem. I would like a bullet proof suggestion as to how to get my .aspx
pages to be shown on IIS. Here is the error.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1089
Date: 18/05/2007
Time: 07:57:37 PM
User: N/A
Computer: LJONES
Failed to execute the request because the ASP.NET process identity does
not
have read permissions to the global assembly cache. Error: 0x80070005
Access
is denied.

"Server Application Error" is not one single error, so you're not going to
hear one single answer.

In this case, you're being told exactly what's wrong:

Failed to execute the request because the ASP.NET process identity does not
have read permissions to the global assembly cache. Error: 0x80070005
Access
is denied.

Guest

Failed to execute the request because the ASP.NET process identity does not
have read permissions to the global assembly cache. Error: 0x80070005
Access
is denied.

I actually see what's wrong. But I do not know how to go about solving it.
I've done extensive search on the Internet and I've seen many articles
concerning this problem and I see several solutions. I've tried most of these
fixes and they don't work. (I am not the only only one who has this problem,
just do a Google search). Is it possible for me to alter GAC to allow ASP.net
to have read permission? How dangerous is this?

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> Is it possible for me to alter GAC to allow ASP.net
!> to have read permission? How dangerous is this?

It's not dangerous at all.

Just unregister fusion.dll ( regserver32 /u fusion.dll )
and add ASPNET to the accounts allowed access to drive:\windows\assembly

And, afterwards, don't forget to reregister it : regserver32 fusion.dll

Mind you, you *must* be running NTFS permissions for that to work.
Are you ?

It's far easier, however, to run :

aspnet_regiis -ga machinename\ASPNET

That should work, too, without any contortions.

Guest

I am the only user of this computer and I use administrator privileges. So I
think I should have NTFS permissions. Questions

1. Do I run regserver32 /u fusion.dll from any directory?

2. How do I "add ASPNET to the accounts allowed access to
drive:\windows\assembly?"

3. When you stated that it was far easier to run "aspnet_regiis -ga
machinename\ASPNET". Do you mean I could run this command only without
consideration to all the other instructions you gave me?

Thank you for toiling with me!

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!>I am the only user of this computer and I use administrator privileges.

The issue is not whether you are the administrator or not.
It's whether your *file system* is NTFS or not.

Is it NTFS or is it FAT32 ?

To find out the file system you have, right-click your boot drive
in Windows Explorer and select "Properties" from the context menu.

You'll see whether your file system is FAT32 or NTFS in that screen.

re:
!> 1. Do I run regserver32 /u fusion.dll from any directory?

Preferably, from a command window in the same directory fusion.dll is in.
Drive:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

That will allow you to change permissions on drive:\windows\assembly

re:
!> 2. How do I "add ASPNET to the accounts allowed access to
!> drive:\windows\assembly?"

*If* your file system is NTFS, right click the drive\windows\assembly directory
from within Windows Explorer, and select the Security tab so you can assign permissions..

That will only work if you have unregistered fusion.dll

Don't forget to *re-register* fusion.dll afterwards:

regsrvr32 fusion.dll

re:
!> 3. When you stated that it was far easier to run "aspnet_regiis -ga
!> machinename\ASPNET". Do you mean I could run this command only without
!> consideration to all the other instructions you gave me?

That should work *if* you're running an NTFS file system.
If you're running FAT32, it won't work.

If you're running FAT32, you'll have to *convert* your file system to NTFS.

Running :
convert D: /fs:ntfs
....from a command-line would format drive D: as ntfs.

Change the drive letter to your boot drive letter.

Guest

I ran the last command only and I got the from cmd window: "Finished granting
LJONES\ASPNET access to the IIS metabase ...". However, problem remains. I
also noticed one strange occurence, when I try to access localhost using
Firefox, I am prompted for username & password but not from IE6. I guess I
gonna ask someone from .Net user group to have a physical look on my computer.