Server too busy error

Erik Cruz

Hi.

I have an asp.net application running under Windows 2003 Server, IIS 6, for
seven months. Today, suddenly, the application raised an error entitled
"Server too busy". Searching the event logs I found an entry for:

Event ID: 2262
'C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_isapi.dll' reported
itself as unhealthy for the following reason: 'Deadlock detected'.

What kind of deadlock can it be?

I followed the steps from the MS article
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;828222 , but it does
not clarified my doubts. I read the other links pointed by the article but
what exactly does the OrphanWorkerProcess parameter do for me?

TIA,
Erik Cruz

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

If you're doing any multithreading, that would be the #1 suspect.
Also, you might check to be sure you're calling Application.Lock() before
setting any application variables and Application.Unlock() afterward.

Scott Allen

OrphanWorkerProcess tells IIS not to shutdown the worker process. IIS
will leave the process running but won't send the worker process any
more requests to execute. This setting lets the process stay in memory
so you can jump in with tools like a debugger and see where the
deadlock is occuring.

Erik Cruz

Hi Scott.

Thanks for the information.

The article shows how to enable OrphanWorkerProcess. Is it enough to set it
to False in order to disable it? Will the other parameters be reset
automatically or do I need to change the values manually?

TIA,
Erik Cruz

Scott Allen

Hi Erik:

Yes, if you set to false the other parameters / actions will not be
taken.