Session Variables

Rob Meade

Hi all,

Does a users browser need any specific settings turned on in order for these
to be stored? ie, is there something *I* could disable in my browser which
would prevent session variables being stored from my web site (ref: asp
shopping cart).

Regards

Rob

Patrice

It uses a session cookie to identify the session server side. If all cookies
including session cookies (those that are stored in memory and cleaned when
IE stops opposed to those stored on disk) are disabled, the session can't be
maintained.

Try :
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223799/en-us
(a bit ambiguous, the ASP session cookie stores just the id of the session,
session variables themselves are stored server side).

Rob Meade

It uses a session cookie to identify the session server side. If all
cookies including session cookies (those that are stored in memory and
cleaned when IE stops opposed to those stored on disk) are disabled, the
session can't be maintained.

Hello Patrice,

Thank you for your reply and information. One further question then if I
may...

As the session variables are paramount to the operation of my shopping cart
application, is there a way to test whether or not they can be used? I'm
hoping for something a bit more clever than...

Session("SessionAvailable") = "True"

If Session("SessionAvailable") = "True" Then

' cool

Else

' not so cool

End If

etc...anything shorter, quicker, easier that can be used which would enable
me to test on each page and display a message if they are not enabled?

Regards

Rob

CJM

Session("SessionAvailable") = "True"

If Session("SessionAvailable") = "True" Then

' cool

Else

' not so cool

End If

This is pretty much what you have to do...

Patrice

I would read this though on another page so that there is a round trip. Here
I think the server might well store the value fine, the problem being that
the cookie won't be find on the next round trip preventing the server to
pair the request with the session store it preivously used...

Rob Meade

I would read this though on another page so that there is a round trip.
Here I think the server might well store the value fine, the problem being
that the cookie won't be find on the next round trip preventing the server
to pair the request with the session store it preivously used...
/

This is pretty much what you have to do...

Thanks for your replies, I'll give it a go...wonder how many people switch
this stuff off? first time I've written a shopping cart app so kinda
"twitching" a bit with it! :eek:/

Rob