Some free utilities for Java, with Hebrew support.

Mr. X.

Hello,
I am looking for some free utilities for Java, that supports other languages
then English
(I need utilities that support Hebrew).

1. Database (Is My-Sql good enough).
2. Report maker.
3. Code for reveal the result of formulas (should not be recrousive, but by
stack).

Thanks :)

Mr. X.

Also 4. Verison control (Like source safe).
The free utilities should be multi-platform
(so I can run them on linux nor windows).

Thanks :)

Luke Yan

Hello,
I am looking for some free utilities for Java, that supports other languages
then English
(I need utilities that support Hebrew).
1. Database (Is My-Sql good enough).
it is enough

2. Report maker.
JasperReports, http://www.jaspersoft.com/
3. Code for reveal the result of formulas (should not be recrousive, but by
stack).

Thanks :)

(e-mail address removed)
/**
/* Java Is Not Platform-independent.It Is The Platform!
*/

David Segall

Mr. X. said:
Hello,
I am looking for some free utilities for Java, that supports other languages
then English
(I need utilities that support Hebrew).

1. Database (Is My-Sql good enough).
I have a list of free, full featured, databases at
<http://users.bigpond.net.au/DavidSegall/ee_freedbms.html>. Of this
list MySQL is the only one that may not be free. I'm sure IBM and
Oracle support Hebrew but I don't know about the rest.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Eh? I thought we recently had a thread here about MySQL being GPL when
parts of it ought to be LGPL. It doesn't get more free as in Free
Software Foundation than GPL. :p

MySQL is definitely "free software" but that is not "free for everyone".

Arne

nebulous99

In other words, they make some people pay for it.

It's GPL. Anyone can use it without paying, so long as they adhere to
the terms of the GPL and open source any derivative works.

For instance I can legally run a for-profit web site using a MySQL
DBMS at the back end and not pay; assuming the site doesn't distribute
binary-only modified copies of MySQL stuff at least. If it, say, sells
T-shirts with clever slogans like ThinkGeek or suchlike, it doesn't
run afoul of the GPL and it certainly doesn't require paying money to
legally use MySQL at the back end.

I don't see how your statement can be true other than in the narrow
case where the "some people" wish to make and distribute a closed-
source database system derived from MySQL, or at least something
closed-source that uses MySQL code. They'd have to either open source
whatever used the MySQL code or negotiate an exemption from MySQL's
copyright's holder. The latter might result in being granted
permission in exchange for a fee. But how common is that going to be
in practise?

Lew

They'd have to ... negotiate an exemption from MySQL's
copyright's holder. The latter might result in being granted
permission in exchange for a fee. But how common is that going to be
in practise?

Quite common. It's a major source of MySQL's revenue, AFAIK.

They are quite open about their dual-licensing policy.

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen

Arne Vajhøj said:
It is not free for those that want to distribute it embedded
in their non free solution.

It's still "free software", with the meaning that term has been given
by the Free Software Foundation in The Free Software Definition.

"Free software" never meant "free to do whatever you want", just as it
doesn't mean "gratis" (another likely interpretation of the term "free
software" without prior knowledge of the definition).
<URL:http://www.fsf.org/licensing/essays/free-sw.html>

/L

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

I don't see how your statement can be true other than in the narrow
case where the "some people" wish to make and distribute a closed-
source database system derived from MySQL, or at least something
closed-source that uses MySQL code. They'd have to either open source
whatever used the MySQL code or negotiate an exemption from MySQL's
copyright's holder. The latter might result in being granted
permission in exchange for a fee. But how common is that going to be
in practise?

Very common.

That is how the majority of the software industry works.

Some pay. Other uses another open source database with a
non GPL license.

Arne

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Lasse said:
It's still "free software", with the meaning that term has been given
by the Free Software Foundation in The Free Software Definition.

True.

Which I believe is what I wrote a week ago (>>>>).

Arne

nebulous99

Very common.

Eh. This doesn't make sense. Making and distributing a proprietary
DBMS derived from MySQL, and having to pay MySQL for the privilege,
and then charge at least as much to your own customers? Won't those
customers just download and use MySQL instead? Only if you're adding a
big useful added feature or something that MySQL lacks, in which case
MySQL in allowing the closed-sourcing of such for money instead of
insisting all such improvements be folded back into the community is
violating the spirit of free software!

Or are you referring to how they "cleverly" GPL'd instead of LGPL'd a
client library so apps that use it to connect to a database will have
to be open sourced or pay? The obvious thing to do then is to use
another SQL client library, and perhaps still use MySQL server-side.

In short, it doesn't seem like much of a business model for MySQL. A
closed source derivative of the MySQL DBMS that costs money is likely
to be outcompeted by vanilla MySQL. Use without redistribution is
free. And the client library surely has lots of alternatives that can
be used in a closed-source client program.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Or are you referring to how they "cleverly" GPL'd instead of LGPL'd a
client library so apps that use it to connect to a database will have
to be open sourced or pay?
Yes.

The obvious thing to do then is to use
another SQL client library, and perhaps still use MySQL server-side.

Do you know any ?
In short, it doesn't seem like much of a business model for MySQL. A
closed source derivative of the MySQL DBMS that costs money is likely
to be outcompeted by vanilla MySQL.

I don't even know if the commercial license allows modifications.
> Use without redistribution is
free. And the client library surely has lots of alternatives that can
be used in a closed-source client program.

Links please.

Arne

bbound

Do you know any ?

Not personally, no, but they're out there.
Links please.

If you want links you go and google it. It's not my job to find you
the libraries you want with the licensing terms you want. But it's
surely not going to be difficult; SQL is a standard so a variety of
client libraries for that standard should be fairly easy to find, same
as for FTP, HTTP, and suchlike. Java itself has a basic HTTP client
library come *standard*, and there's a bunch of database stuff in JEE
libraries that probably includes client-side SQL.

Of course Sun's Java license, I'm fairly sure, allows distributing
proprietary Java software without paying Sun (or anyone else).

Of course, if the MySQL server butchers the standard this might not
work with the MySQL server but in that case what you want is a *real*
SQL server instead of something that claims to be, but really isn't.

Owen Jacobson

Not personally, no, but they're out there.

If you want links you go and google it.

Surely if you're confident saying that the MySQL client library surely
has alternatives, you must have an example, no? Personally I find the
assertion somewhat surprising, since there is no market nor "itch" for
a third-party MySQL client library that I know of.
SQL is a standard so a variety of client libraries for that standard should
be fairly easy to find

While SQL the language is indeed a standard, there is no standard for
wire represntations of either queries or result sets -- the mechanism
by which SQL queries are actually performed is left entirely to the
implementation. SQL doesn't even mandate that there be a wire-level
representation: there are several databases that run entirely in the
client process's address space, and queries are parsed and turned into
function calls, not byte streams.
Of course, if the MySQL server butchers the standard

Heh.

Cheers,
Owen

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Not personally, no, but they're out there.

How can you know they are out there if you don't know one personal ?
If you want links you go and google it. It's not my job to find you
the libraries you want with the licensing terms you want.

Why should I google to find supporting evidence of your claims ????
> But it's
surely not going to be difficult; SQL is a standard so a variety of
client libraries for that standard should be fairly easy to find,

I think you have misunderstood how database communication works.

SQL is the text you put into the JDBC driver. It is not a description of
the request and response send between the JDBC driver and the database
(even though the requests probably has the SQL as payload).
same
as for FTP, HTTP, and suchlike.

Those protocols are standardized. There are no standard for the wire
format used by databases.

Arne

bbound

Surely if you're confident saying that the MySQL client library surely
has alternatives, you must have an example, no? Personally I find the
assertion somewhat surprising, since there is no market nor "itch" for
a third-party MySQL client library that I know of.

What you're saying doesn't make sense. There are a ton of independent,
third-party libraries for every *other* common type of networking
function, language, transport, protocol, or what-have-you. And there's
market forces to consider. Clearly there's demand for a client library
license-compatible with closed-source development. The marginal cost
of such a thing is obviously zero. The price MySQL charges for such a
library is considerably greater. SQL itself is not proprietary; not
patented/secret/whatever. Ergo, someone will and probably someone has
undercut MySQL's price for this particular good. That I don't know of
a specific example is immaterial; it is easy to demonstrate its
probable existence by simple reasoning.

The same reasoning that says that if mints cost 10 cents to make and
some store is selling brand-name ones for a buck a pop, and nothing in
the nature of a "mint" is secret or patented or anything, then
somewhere you will likely find someone selling mints for fifty cents,
or a quarter, or even just fifteen cents. (I'd look to see if the very
same store carried no-name mints at half the price, before even
looking in other stores.)
While SQL the language is indeed a standard, there is no standard for
wire represntations of either queries or result sets

That's very odd. If there isn't, there certainly should be. That's as
if they'd standardized HTML without bothering to standardize HTTP.

Nevertheless, whatever protocol MySQL server uses is surely easy to
reverse engineer without "infecting" whatever you're developing with
the GPL, using the standard clean-room reverse engineering method used
to avoid copyright infringement when developing interoperable software
more generally.