Source control and Deployment

Guest

Hi,
I need to deploy my web app (using XCOPY), but first need to put all of the
source under source control (not vss).

I guess the question is, "Q1) what files need to go under source control?"
Should it be the all of the files under inetpub\wwwrot\myapp? or a sub set?

following this, "what files should be deployed?"
Do the .VB files need to be deployed?

Most of the MS documentation I have come across seems to assume you develop
and deploy, without putting stuff under source control (for testing etc)
which i find mildly alarming, or use the copy project option. We develop on a
development network, and live is altogether separate, so this isn't an option.

Any ideas most appreciated. I know I can't be the only one to be in this
position.
:)

Kim Quigley

A1) All of them, though I guess it's your choice and depends on what you're
using source control for.
A2) Everything that ends in aspx, ascx, css, config. The whole bin
directory. If you have images, PDFs, html files, etc you need those too.

You know an easy way to find out what files you need? From Solution
Explorer, click on your project, then click on the Copy Project button. The
destination folder will be something like http://localhost/Copy_of_Project
and then at the bottom you can pick "Only files needed to run this
application." Then go look in the folder it creates and that's what you need
to deploy.