Studio Creator and Applets

ineedyourluvin1

Ok here's a really dumb question ... You know Sun Microsystems'
IDE called Sun Java Studio Creator ? It lets you make jsp pages
with all sorts of neat do-dads like command buttons and textboxes, etc.
and makes your website very easy to manage.

You can view the design, jsp source, and the java source (backing bean)

of your website ! What a wonderful (free I might add) tool for the java
development
community !!! It's like a gift from the man above !

There is only one exception....... And I'm going to throw it !
Hopefully somebody here will catch it and perform some
action on it ! There is a big problem here with applets
and Suns' IDE . It's not letting me add the applets to the jsp page.

No applets = dull and plain.. Simple as that !

Thanks much and have a nice day :) !

andrewthommo

Ok here's a really dumb question ... You know Sun Microsystems'
IDE called Sun Java Studio Creator ? ...
...It's not letting me add the applets to the jsp page.

Maybe it's a hint. ;-)

You can always JWS your applets, and link to them.

andrewthommo

but while I remember, if you declare your pages as HTML 4.01,
the applet element has been deprecated., and should be unavailable.

ineedyourluvin1

You can always JWS your applets, and link to them.

I thought about that but seems unprofessional but
very workable . You mean to just link to a plain
old HTML page. I might if this keeps up ! LOL!

ineedyourluvin1

And why would the applet element be deprecated ? That
makes no sense... Sorry but it does'nt !

ineedyourluvin1

Ok, I see what JWS is. It's like an online installer that costs a
fortune
for a certificate that you have to have ...
Alright it's beginning to bug me....

Roedy Green

And why would the applet element be deprecated ? That
makes no sense... Sorry but it does'nt !

Microsoft want to discourage the use of Java.
Having 1 page of unreadable crap to invoke a .5 square inch Applet is
a pretty effective way to discourage it, don't you think?

Dag Sunde

And why would the applet element be deprecated ? That
makes no sense... Sorry but it does'nt !

Yes it does.
There is no difference between a Java Applet and i.e. Flash
from the browsers point of view. they're both external to
the browser, and dependent on something else.

So the alternative was to extend HTML with separate elements
to handle each useful "external" thingy as they occured,
and each of them matured with new options.

The problem is that its official replacement: <object> was
a problem-child from birth on, and was even more damaged
by Netscape's refusal to play along, and introduced the
competing <embed> instead.

But used correctly, the <object> element is immensly more
powerful that the <applet> element could ever hope to be.

(I know Roedy will disagree with me here, but I have to weather
that one... ;-) ).

ineedyourluvin1

How , since I don't want to pirate HTML designer software, would I
go about adding the applets within the designer of Sun Java Studio
Creator ? I mean pogo.com is loaded with .jsp pages and tons of
applets ?!?! I know they did'nt type out HTML all day and JSP all day
to create pogo.com ! Sun Microsystems has eliminated the complexity
of very many things along, as we all know here, JSP with their
Creator software IDE! I have noted what everyone here is saying
but does anyone see what I'm driving at ? thanks much :)

ineedyourluvin1

Ok there is more I wanted to add to this. Here is what I want to have a
website do ...

1.) Display welcome page with links, news, ads, and an option to
sign in. People don't have to sign up to do most things.

2.) Signed in people can change page preferences
and choose to stay signed in. The next time they
visit the site all their preferences will take effect unless they
sign out which will bring it back to default. If you are
wondering out of curiosity, if they sign in at a freinds
house, etc then all their preferences will be loaded there
too in their browser.

3.) The sign up and sign in textbox, combo, etc will all
be data-bound using Sun Micros bundled database server.
Of course I will have to create a database and use
a data provider for these signin/signout components.
The session bean I belive would have a public object
to grant the access permissions, etc
throughout all the pages while logged in.

4.) I want all my games running in a JApplet so I can use
swing components and to also make it nice and neat.
The swing components like JFrames and JPanels ,etc
will probably be for use with signed on visitors for checking
mail and implementing a chat room(s) , and well, just
being part of my games too. The Graphics2D object
seems to work well in the example I wrote using a
JApplet. I'm sure It would have been pretty much the
same using a regular applet with the difference with
threading which is'nt a big deal really. Actually
threading is a blessing. :)

5.) When someone clicks on a JApplet to play it, or if it is
a utility like a scientific calculator, greeting card sender,
or any kind, I'd like it to be contained in its own
popup window with a fixed border(JApplet works
good here I belive).

6.) The page must accomodate cellphones and automatically
detect a cellphone entering the page and rearrange all components
to fit the tiny-ass screen most cellphones have. I know that
DOT NET can do this and I'm pretty good with Visual Basic.NET
but like I say I DON'T want to pirate anything because this
has to go down completely legal. I'm sure everyone understands
how poor people, like me, (I mean I have a 64bit widescreen
Compaq
R3000 laptop, 2 other fast computers with 1.25GB memory,
and a Business DSL service with 1Mb/sec upload speed, and a
static IP address used with my domain name which the webserver
runs on one of the other computers and is off now because of
these
hoops I have to jump through) who have to spend every last dime
on food and books and put all their energy into dropping bad
C++ and Visual Basic habbits to fully learn Java to make a
descent living to support my family. But I"M A 'REAL' HACKER !
:)
My other half thinks the computers are my wives. LOL! LMFAO !!!
She gets mad at me for staying up all night taking notes and
hacking.
But I've showed her some really cool applets and she gets the
point :)

If you read up on some Java history you will find that in the
beginning,
Java ,which was not called Java yet, is a descendant of smalltalk and
C++.
There was this group in Pala Alto called 'The Green Team' .
From what I gather Java's first name was Oak named after a tree
in the 'Green Teams' yard. These people developed a device called
*7 (pronounced Star Seven), which was a handheld remote control
device which basically ran programs written in Oak back then.
They were trying to get the cable networks to buy this technology.
I'm *glad* the cable companies (like Time Warner) don't own the
rights to this because they would be owning the rights to Java also
if I am correct. The 'Green Team' finally became 'First Person'
and later on Java was born .

I think this happened at a Hollywood / Entertainers convention where
Java was actually "BORN". This happened when a browser program
called HotJava, still in its infancy, was demonstated at this
convention and what happened after that is history in which
should be printed in history books and be taught in every
classroom in america . The world actually... What was
demonstrated was the Java mascott, Duke, and a line sorting
algorithm. These Were APPLETS !!!!

I had to include that bit of (inaccurate but close enough?) history
to show how important Applets are to a java programmer.
It's also where the money is because :

APPLETS RUN ON CELLPHONES!!!!

I think Sun Java Studio Creator was designed with applet deployment
in mind but nobody is telling how to add them in to a page. I would'nt
be supprised if one would have to make a Composite Component
to achive this but I'm damned sure it can be done and done easily

Have a nice day ! :)

Dag Sunde

Ok there is more I wanted to add to this. Here is what I want to have a
website do ...
<snipped />
Was all that just to explain that you have trouble putting an
applet tag into an jsp page when you are using Java Studio Creator?

Well... use Notepad, for pete's sake!

;-)

Honestly... I don't understand your problem.
There must be at least 10 different free IDEs/dev.environments out
there that doesn't give you those problems?

I use Eclipse and JBuilder myself, and have absolutely *no* problems with
creating a .JSP page with an applet in it...???

andrewthommo

I think Sun Java Studio Creator was designed with applet deployment
in mind but nobody is telling how to add them in to a page.

Really? I think it more likely that SJSC is taking a (for instance)
'HTML 4.01 Strict' declaration at its word. In that case, use an
object element.

Anything beyond that is a matter between you and SJSC, as..,
while any of the three people responding to this thread knows
ways to put applets in web pages, we cannot teach you how to
use your own software.

Andrew T.

ineedyourluvin1

In other words skip using the designer and get good at JSP,
XML, and HTML(already know it).......
I'll use notepad to write all my applets cuz I might as well since
I turned off the autocomplete in Netbeans. Then make
an XML make script for Apache ANT to use for compiling
my sourcecode. I can use Notepad for everything !!!

Just call me The Notepad Coder ;-)
hehehehe

Next , I'll study how SimCom works and get into making
my own Bytecode as an aside!

Dag Sunde

In other words skip using the designer and get good at JSP,
XML, and HTML(already know it).......
I'll use notepad to write all my applets cuz I might as well since
I turned off the autocomplete in Netbeans. Then make
an XML make script for Apache ANT to use for compiling
my sourcecode. I can use Notepad for everything !!!

Just call me The Notepad Coder ;-)
hehehehe

Next , I'll study how SimCom works and get into making
my own Bytecode as an aside!

No, but you can use Eclipse, JBuilder or any one of several tools
that doesn't enforce the limits you feel Netbeans do...

But very, very seriously...

The approach you outline above is recommended!
Do use Notepad or preferably a little better editor, and do a
project or two...

ineedyourluvin1

Ok I'll do that and maybe it will make me not so lazy ;-)
I Might just have to turn my linux box into my development
platform since I'd like to place some blame on Sun and Microsoft
for making things more difficult than they must. I'm
going to develop under GNU linux WITHOUT XFree86
installed ;-) . So we all know there is a HTTP server
available (Apache) for linux, especially Fedora and Redhat
which I will be using. I'm not going to be wasting any of
my 1.25GB 400Mhz DDR2 RAM or CPU cycles on overhead with X.
I'll most likely be in runlevel 3 most of the time and
use SSH or RSH for my secure connection. Perhaps
I could use VNC and have the overhead on my terminal
instead , so I can still get into X. :) Well I must simplifiy
as much as I can and keep it that way !

Linux box is a webserver, terminal server, and java compiler.
Windows will be used to log into linux via terminal emulator.
Absolutley no other services will be running. The computer
should remind you of an AS/400 pretty much because of
its size, its power, the green text on the terminal emulator
and the Unix like OS. Only thing it can't do is run OS400...

So, there you have it. A linux box with very little to no overhead and
will
support many users. Apache Tomcat will serve the hand
written JSP pages and HTML created with mcedit or VIM. However, I may
be stuck with logging into the X server to use Gimp for creating
the sprites for the games I want to write. Also to test applets and
check page layout using Mozilla. I know this will be a very powerfull
system and difficult to become used to but it is intuitive and there
are many man pages I can spend the day reading ;-)

It's truly overwhelming, but I can write a full applet
with overridden paint() and update() methods
to get doublebuffering and use threading and collision detection.
I can do much more than that with applets so getting used to this
should
be easy BUT time consuming.

One thing that scares me is writing the backing beans for the
jsp pages. I hope I don't go insane :)

thanks