Survey on refactoring activities using IDEs

Discussion in 'Java' started by Sebastian Jekutsch, Jun 8, 2004.

  1. Dear visitors of comp.lang.java.programmer,

    the Institute of Computer Science of the "Freie Universitaet Berlin" is
    currently investigating the question

    "Did the availability of refactoring functionality of IDEs result in
    refactorings being performed more frequently?"

    We would be pleased if you could participate in our survey and fill out
    (requiring about 15 minutes) the survey form available online at

    http://www.inf.fu-berlin.de/inst/ag-se/teaching/survey/04-01/survey.php

    As a prerequisite, only users of the development environments (IDEs) IntelliJ
    IDEA or Eclipse for Java may attend.

    In case you leave your e-mail address, we will send you the result of the
    survey. Your address will only be used for this purpose and will be deleted
    after completion of the study.

    The survey will last until 22/6.

    Many thanks for participating!

    Stephan Salinger
    Sebastian Jekutsch
    Freie Universitaet Berlin
    Institut für Informatik
    Takustr. 9
    D-14195 Berlin
    Germany
    Sebastian Jekutsch, Jun 8, 2004

  2. Sebastian Jekutsch

    Ryan Stewart Guest

    "Sebastian Jekutsch" <-berlin.de> wrote in message
    > "Did the availability of refactoring functionality of IDEs result in
    > refactorings being performed more frequently?"

    > As a prerequisite, only users of the development environments (IDEs)

    IntelliJ
    > IDEA or Eclipse for Java may attend.

    That's rather narrow-minded, isn't it?
    Ryan Stewart, Jun 8, 2004

  3. Sebastian Jekutsch

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Ryan Stewart wrote:

    > > As a prerequisite, only users of the development environments (IDEs)
    > > IntelliJ IDEA or Eclipse for Java may attend.
    > >

    > That's rather narrow-minded, isn't it?

    It probably helps to keep the survey questions clear. If you look at the form
    you'll see that they specify exactly which refactorings they are talking about
    by naming the actual GUI operations in the two IDEs. There's a limit to how
    many such you can list without it becoming cumbersome (though they could
    probably have gone as high as three).

    -- chris
    Chris Uppal, Jun 8, 2004
  4. Sebastian Jekutsch

    Liz Guest

    "Ryan Stewart" <> wrote in message
    > "Sebastian Jekutsch" <-berlin.de> wrote in message
    > > "Did the availability of refactoring functionality of IDEs result in
    > > refactorings being performed more frequently?"

    > > As a prerequisite, only users of the development environments (IDEs)

    > IntelliJ
    > > IDEA or Eclipse for Java may attend.
    > >

    > That's rather narrow-minded, isn't it?

    No, it's "focused" ;-)
    Liz, Jun 8, 2004
  5. Sebastian Jekutsch

    Chris Smith Guest

    Sebastian Jekutsch wrote:
    > We would be pleased if you could participate in our survey and fill out
    > (requiring about 15 minutes) the survey form available online at
    >
    > http://www.inf.fu-berlin.de/inst/ag-se/teaching/survey/04-01/survey.php

    I just took the survey. I suspect you'd get better results if you asked
    how often certain refactorings are performed. Just to take one example,
    I have of course renamed classes and methods in projects prior to using
    Eclipse, but I do it far *more* often for non-public API since Eclipse
    adds the refactoring. This is even more true for refactorings like
    extracting methods and locals, and inlining methods and locals. From my
    answers, you're only going to see that I performed these by hand before
    but now use the IDE function to do it. The truth is that I do a whole
    lot more of it now.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation