    haven't found much yet.

    Thanks for your help.
    John Curley

    John Curley, Jul 25, 2004

  2. On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 12:53:38 GMT, John Curley wrote:

    > I've traditionally only written web applications (.jsp/.html) to app server
    > software. Now we're asked to write a Swing (thick client) to app server
    > application.
    >
    > Any things to look out for? What is the usual way for calling in to the app
    > server? I'm used to using Struts and HTTP; but now it appears that I need
    > to use RMI.

    (shrugs) I do not know about usual, scaleable
    or extensible, but the *easiest* way for an
    application to interact with a server is via
    URL's using .jsp/servlet to do the work on the
    server side.

    [ I use this to send bug reports from apps.,
    I simply roll the data in an URL and do a
    BrowserLauncher on the URL.. easy peasy,
    you would not even need BrowserLauncher.. ]

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Jul 25, 2004

  3. "John Curley" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, All:
    >
    > I've traditionally only written web applications (.jsp/.html) to app

    server
    > software. Now we're asked to write a Swing (thick client) to app server
    > application.
    >
    > Any things to look out for? What is the usual way for calling in to the

    app
    > server? I'm used to using Struts and HTTP; but now it appears that I need
    > to use RMI.

    Too many to mention in one post, but here are the few that came to my mind
    immediately:

    1. Firewalls - RMI was not designed for communication over the Internet, and
    while going through firewalls is possible (I've done it myself), coding may
    be somewhat cumbersome.

    2. RMI callbacks - avoid them if you can (callbacks aggravate the firewall
    problem). Again, they can work, even if both client and server are hidden
    behind the firewalls, but is difficult to implement.

    3. JRE - the client may have to be distributed with it, to ensure that the
    users:
    a. have Java installed on their system, and
    b. the version of Java is _correct_

    4. Multiplatform - testing the client on every possible platform is might
    land. In the case of Web-based app, the cross-platform compatiblility of
    browsers is the problem for their developers. In the case of the RMI-based
    Swing client the headache is entirely yours.

    > Any resources out there on the web? Code examples? I've been searching

    but
    > haven't found much yet.

    Sun's Swing and RMU docs and tutorials. Not perfect, but better than
    nothing. Also, the Forums have quite a collection of Q&A on both.

    HTH

    Alex Molochnikov
    Gestalt Corporation
    www.gestalt.com

    Alex Molochnikov, Jul 26, 2004
  4. John Curley

    Benoit Guest

    use Java Web Start and communicate with the server through servlet (with for
    instance Tomcat)

    RMI is really not an option

    Benoit

    Benoit, Aug 11, 2004
  5. John Curley

    Franz Bayer Guest

    Best would be imho to write a browserlike-client.
    Thats not that difficult like with RMI.

    /franz

    Franz Bayer, Aug 11, 2004
  6. John Curley

    vinocit

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Burlap, Hessian, EJB3.0

    Try Burlap and Hessian.

    Hey this EJB has turned to POJO take a look at EJB3 its much easier now to create scalable Stateless session beans

    vinocit, Nov 24, 2008